SOS

Borg warner

One happy memory of food from long ago  (1969-73) was the SOS we had for breakfast in Air Force chow halls and just out of curiosity I looked up recipes specifically for the Air Force, Army, Navy, and Marines to see if they were any different.

The only differences were that the Army used Beef bullion, The Air Force used Chicken Bullion and the Marines didn't use any bullion. But the Navy had some major differences that I really didn't like so I didn't copy the Navy recipes but I did include links to them here. First they make it one way with tomato sauce and the other way they make it with sliced beef instead of ground beef. Here are the recipes I'm interested in with ground beef along with links to the Navy recipe's if anyone wants to try it Navy style with chipped beef or sliced beef or tomato sauce.

USAF
Ingredients

1 pound ground beef
2 cubes chicken bouillon, crumbled (or Beef)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce

Servings 3

Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins

Preparation

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; stir in the ground beef, chicken bouillon, garlic powder, black pepper, and onion powder. Cook and stir until the beef is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, about 7 minutes.

2. Stir in the flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes to thicken.

Army
Ingredients
1 pound ground beef
2 Tablespoon butter
1/4 cup flour, all purpose
1 cube beef bouillon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper (or to taste)
2 1/4 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce

Preparation
Brown beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Drain excess fat and set beef aside.
Melt butter in skillet over medium heat.
Slowly add the flour, stirring constantly, to form a brown roux.
Add the bouillon.
Gradually stir in the milk and Worcestershire sauce, mixing well.

USMC
1 – 1/2 Lb. (24 oz) of lean ground beef (80/20)
2 Tbsp. butter
1 cup chopped onion
3 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
4 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown meat, drain. Back to the pan, add butter and stir. Add chopped onions and cook until they are translucent. Add flour, stir and cook for two to three minutes. Add garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mix thoroughly. Add milk and stir until it thickens.

NAVY

• Like 5

• 9 months later...
20 hours ago, DAKA said:

My ex-wife is a Brit   

There are a ton of funny dishes ...Toad in a Hole ....(I'll eventually think of more)

The Brits love their canned beans, something I've never liked unless it was spiced up with BBQ sauce of better yet, homemade baked beans made from dried beans. but they like it the way it comes out of the can. Here's Roger Daltry of The Who in an advert for canned beans.

athewho.jpg

46 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

The Brits love their canned beans, something I've never liked unless it was spiced up with BBQ sauce of better yet, homemade baked beans made from dried beans. but they like it the way it comes out of the can. Here's Roger Daltry of The Who in an advert for canned beans.

athewho.jpg

Kinda' looks like he threw up!!

• Haha 1