Politicians collude with the media to hide violent crime increases.

pipedreams

"2020 saw the largest one year spike in violence in 30 years and the city of Norfolk (VA) was no exception. One in twenty five residents are victimized and their crime is 61% higher than the national average. 

While we would suggest that this is why law enforcement exists, it seems that Norfolk and many others want a different path.

One way is to simply stop reporting so much crime to the media. That is exactly what Norfolk has been doing for a year.

Under the media policy, unless someone is critically hurt, they will no longer discuss police shootings with the media. If someone dies in any other way, the citizens will have to listen closely to a police scanner because the media has been shut out.

Carissa Wheeler tells WAVY that there was a death less than a block from her home that she never found out about.

“That scares me because there’s children that live in the street, there’s kids that live right across the street and right down the street that play in this neighborhood all the time,” Wheeler said.

The media blackout even includes mass shootings. In March, four people were shot including a 17-year-old, but no one died so the media was left scrambling to put the details together.

WAVY says that police released no information to them that night, and it took them several days to get any of the details."

https://www.lawofficer.com/politicians-collude-with-the-media-to-hide-violent-crime-increases/

Unfortunately, the national media seems willing and able to help their political counterparts.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

"2020 saw the largest one year spike in violence in 30 years and the city of Norfolk (VA) was no exception. One in twenty five residents are victimized and their crime is 61% higher than the national average. 

While we would suggest that this is why law enforcement exists, it seems that Norfolk and many others want a different path.

One way is to simply stop reporting so much crime to the media. That is exactly what Norfolk has been doing for a year.

Under the media policy, unless someone is critically hurt, they will no longer discuss police shootings with the media. If someone dies in any other way, the citizens will have to listen closely to a police scanner because the media has been shut out.

Carissa Wheeler tells WAVY that there was a death less than a block from her home that she never found out about.

“That scares me because there’s children that live in the street, there’s kids that live right across the street and right down the street that play in this neighborhood all the time,” Wheeler said.

The media blackout even includes mass shootings. In March, four people were shot including a 17-year-old, but no one died so the media was left scrambling to put the details together.

WAVY says that police released no information to them that night, and it took them several days to get any of the details."

https://www.lawofficer.com/politicians-collude-with-the-media-to-hide-violent-crime-increases/

Unfortunately, the national media seems willing and able to help their political counterparts.

Minneapolis is claiming they have a wave of "gun" violence!  They never say it is "people" killing their children...................

• Like 4

On the other hand, the way the media reports crime is sensationalized, and leads to copycats.  And really, what are most people going to do if there is a stabbing the next street over from where they live?  Move?  I don't think so.  I don't think they'll change their lives one bit.  Hell, I have mostly great neighbors, plus one crazy a-hole who thinks he has a right to trespass on my property to look for the "asteroid" that "landed" in MY woods a couple weeks ago that he claims he saw on his game cam (his property is NOT adjacent to mine), and also the nutty "grower" off his meds across the street who lets his dang dogs loose to kill people's  livestock and runs naked thru the cornfield yelling about his paranoid fantasies.  A murder the next road over wouldn't make me change a darn thing... I'd still be carrying just as much/little, and still meet people at the front door holding back a mastiff.  I don't need the tv to tell me about my neighborhood.  When I want to find out what's happening, I can read the township's FB page or go up to the gas station or the biker bar and ask the people that work there.  They know everything and everybody.  Mostly, I don't care.  Unless it's someone I know getting stabbed, in which case I don't need tv to hear about that anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

On the other hand, the way the media reports crime is sensationalized, and leads to copycats.  And really, what are most people going to do if there is a stabbing the next street over from where they live?  Move?  I don't think so.  I don't think they'll change their lives one bit.  Hell, I have mostly great neighbors, plus one crazy a-hole who thinks he has a right to trespass on my property to look for the "asteroid" that "landed" in MY woods a couple weeks ago that he claims he saw on his game cam (his property is NOT adjacent to mine), and also the nutty "grower" off his meds across the street who lets his dang dogs loose to kill people's  livestock and runs naked thru the cornfield yelling about his paranoid fantasies.  A murder the next road over wouldn't make me change a darn thing... I'd still be carrying just as much/little, and still meet people at the front door holding back a mastiff.  I don't need the tv to tell me about my neighborhood.  When I want to find out what's happening, I can read the township's FB page or go up to the gas station or the biker bar and ask the people that work there.  They know everything and everybody.  Mostly, I don't care.  Unless it's someone I know getting stabbed, in which case I don't need tv to hear about that anyway.

Tell ya what My Lady.  You're an Incredible Woman.  Your Husband is Blessed to have a woman like you...as I am blessed with my Lady of 53 years.  I know in my heart...if it weren't for her...I'd be Dead or in Jail...

I'm sorry for the toll I've taken on her.  She just says..."I knew what I was buyin into"...I did give her a Daughter...which is like she "Spit, and my Daughter grew".  Think I'll be well taken care of...

• Like 1