Trapped

Eric

I was running from the car to the door during a thunderstorm last year. I was just getting to my steps when it sounded like lightning struck something very close, maybe the neighbor's tree across the street. I could not move my legs fast enough. I almost crapped myself.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, railfancwb said:

If the hailstones were large and plentiful, hope your comprehensive on the vehicle is paid. 

They were  pea-size, with some slightly larger ones mixed in. They make a hell of a sound on glass and sheet metal though.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

My previous vehicle got caught in a hail storm. It ended up looking like a giant golf ball, covered in dimples. When I went to trade it in towards my next vehicle, they failed to notice the dimples and gave me a good deal.

After some serious hail storms in this area, some new car dealers offer the equivalent of scratch and dent sales for hailstone damage. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jfost11 said:

I was running from the car to the door during a thunderstorm last year. I was just getting to my steps when it sounded like lightning struck something very close, maybe the neighbor's tree across the street. I could not move my legs fast enough. I almost crapped myself.

Man, I made the mad dash last summer, ran in, slipped 20 feet away, then immediately got tsunami'd by a minivan. **** happens.

• Like 1

I actually like being "trapped" in my car during harsh weather.  Whenever I get an intuition that the weather is way too nasty for me to be driving in, I pull off the highway and into a parking lot and just chill while listening to the rain beating on my roof and messing around on Kik and Skype. 

12 hours ago, railfancwb said:

After some serious hail storms in this area, some new car dealers offer the equivalent of scratch and dent sales for hailstone damage. 

Most all car bodies are made from tin foil sheet metal  these days. You cannot sit on any flat surface of your vehicle without causing damage. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, inthefrey said:

Most all car bodies are made from tin foil sheet metal  these days. You cannot sit on any flat surface of your vehicle without causing damage. 

Tell me about it.

Within 6 months of getting a new truck (new to me anyway), the kids managed to dent the roof by sitting on it. 😡

I tried, but can't pop it back up from the inside.  I'm thinking it could be suctioned up from the outside, but don't have what I need to do it myself.

Does anybody know if those poorly rated, $15 amazon suction cup pullers can be made to actually work?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Maccabeus said:

Tell me about it.

Within 6 months of getting a new truck (new to me anyway), the kids managed to dent the roof by sitting on it. 😡

I tried, but can't pop it back up from the inside.  I'm thinking it could be suctioned up from the outside, but don't have what I need to do it myself.

Does anybody know if those poorly rated, $15 amazon suction cup pullers can be made to actually work?

You can get a suction cup for picking up auto glass at Harbor Freight or Northern Tools for less that $20. Let the truck sit in the sun and get that panel nice and toasty. Apply the suction cup and as you begin to pull up, dump a bucket of ice water over it. The metal contracting and shrinking will help you pull the dent out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Eric said:

You can get a suction cup for picking up auto glass at Harbor Freight or Northern Tools for less that $20. Let the truck sit in the sun and get that panel nice and toasty. Apply the suction cup and as you begin to pull up, dump a bucket of ice water over it. The metal contracting and shrinking will help you pull the dent out.

Thanks!  I need to just go and try it.  I've been looking at that dent and grumbling for months and it finally dawned on me that I can probably pull it out.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Maccabeus said:

Thanks!  I need to just go and try it.  I've been looking at that dent and grumbling for months and it finally dawned on me that I can probably pull it out.

You want the water really cold and you want it to land on just the dented area, as much as possible. Most types of paintless small dent repair, including hail damage repair, is accomplished with a hair dryer or heat gun and bits of dry ice.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

THe UK has been reporting that 47% of the variant positives are from vaccinated people.

The vaccine does not keep anyone from catching it, it just makes it less lethal??

I think you may have put this question in the wrong thread, but here's an answer:

I time stamped it the specific numbers, but the whole video is interesting as it deals with hospitalization likelihoods for the fully vaccinated who may still get covid.

Sorry for the derail, OP, but I just happened to hear the answer to this question an hour ago and figured I'd share the info before forgetting where I'd heard it!