Welcome To The Other Side

Eric

• Administrators

Hi folks. If you are reading this, you made it to the new server. I wasn't planning on making this move, but the server we were on had been flaky since I upgraded services on it before the site software update last week. I don't know what went wrong with the server upgrade, but it was causing weird problems and it wasn't an obvious or easily-found issue.

So, we are on a new hosting plan. The site is still hosted in Dallas, but with a new company. I have high hopes for the new digs. Anyway, sorry for the disruption.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

• Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric unlocked this topic
  • Administrators

The new server's name is ecne. The last one was odin. I like those mythological names from that area of the world. Ecne is the Celtic mythological god of wisdom and knowledge. Such a name for this server may be setting the bar a bit high, but we have our moments.

Anyway, I am hoping that with all the bugs I have already hunted down and this server change, the unwelcome tech surprises might be sorted. We will see. There are still some other known issues with the site software that I will need to address, but hopefully the nasty problems are over. Thanks for everyone's patience during all of this.

• Like 3

Sounds like the whole venture was a real PITA for you. Looked like a nightmare from what we could see and I'm sure more was there for you to figure out. Since you switched servers, that may be more true than I imagine.

Hope you get some down time after all this.

• Like 2

Umm,

Just an FYI -

got this splash screen.(below) Also, Chrome complained about the site not have an up to date certificate.
https://theboresite.com/

Then, I went to one of my other bookmarks and got here. No clue why.
http://theboresite.com/forums/
Still complaining about not being secure.

No issue - just letting you know.

John(inthefrey)

ecne.aritah.com

Under Construction

Host default domain

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, inthefrey said:

Umm,

Just an FYI -

got this splash screen.(below) Also, Chrome complained about the site not have an up to date certificate.
https://theboresite.com/

Then, I went to one of my other bookmarks and got here. No clue why.
http://theboresite.com/forums/
Still complaining about not being secure.

No issue - just letting you know.

John(inthefrey)

ecne.aritah.com

Under Construction

Host default domain

I don't have an SSL certificate set up yet, so trying to view the site using https is going to cause SSL certificate errors. I do intend to buy a certificate and set it up, but I just transferred the site last night. I'll post when the cert is in place. Thanks.

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of a meeting my friend had at his last job. After getting an email instructing him where and when to go, he walked in a room with maybe half of the company present. The CEO walked in and said, "congratulations, if you're in this room, you're still with the company. Here are your new cell phones."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, jfost11 said:

This thread reminds me of a meeting my friend had at his last job. After getting an email instructing him where and when to go, he walked in a room with maybe half of the company present. The CEO walked in and said, "congratulations, if you're in this room, you're still with the company. Here are your new cell phones."

• Like 1

Ok...you know me...Just gotta ask...

In the "Who's online box", what's with all the different colors of people's names?  Is there like a "color index" of what I am?  Been tryin to figure this our for months...long before the server change and upgrade.  If there's no reason for the color difference...Just make us all the same color.:cool:

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Swampfox762 said:

Ok...you know me...Just gotta ask...

In the "Who's online box", what's with all the different colors of people's names?  Is there like a "color index" of what I am?  Been tryin to figure this our for months...long before the server change and upgrade.  If there's no reason for the color difference...Just make us all the same color.:cool:

Well, look under your avatar on the left. Scroll up and look under mine, and so on and so on. Each user group type has its own  color.

12 hours ago, jfost11 said:

I worked for a company (500+ people),  and the fire alarm went off one day.  Everyone evacuated to their designated gathering place.  Everyone was accounted for and the all-clear was given.

But they had locked all the doors we came out of.  You had to go through the main entrance and badge-in with your card.

If your card didn't work,  you had to go stand over there,  where HR and Security warmly greeted you.

• Thanks 1

• Eric unpinned this topic