Neighbors

crockett

The house across the street sold 2 months ago because the HOA ruled that we won't allow any rental properties in our community anymore. So this time it was sold to a home owner and not somebody who will lease it to temporary renters. Nobody moved in yet, but I just saw a car on the driveway.

About 3 weeks ago I found a random advertisement postcard on my front door step with "I'm your new neighbor, call me, xxx xxx xxxx) hand-written on it. I checked my security camera recordings and watched a female, age around 50, ring my doorbell (I wasn't home) and come back 3 minutes later with said postcard.

I never called her, because nobody gets my cell phone number. Only my CEO and my CPA have my number, and they only call if something is on fire. Ever since I retired 8 years ago, I enjoy not having to deal with calls, not being woken up for bullshit, and not having to live by anybody's schedule, needs or wants. That is part of my no-stress-lifestyle, which I implemented back in the day.

Out of the neighbors living on my street, I ignore about half, the rest gets to see a friendly wave when I drive by, or they drive by. I talked to 3, and I can count those encounters on 2 hands.

Now, I'm not your average guy. I hate small talk in person, because I genuinely don't care for drama or any of that he said / she said neighborhood bullshit. I also don't want to be invited to anything, and I don't want people to show up and ask for a pound of sugar or my tools.

Sure, if any of them have a serious emergency, like an accident, somebody breaking into their home, etc, I will help. But other than that, a handwave is my perfect relationship. It sends a friendly signal, and keeps them on distance at the same time.

My experience shows, that once you get too close with neighbors, they will find out your position on politics and everything else. Its just a matter of time and a conflict creeps in. Since moving away isn't easily done once a conflict is established, I rather lower the risk of confrontation by being the guy that waves and keeps on going.

1. Since this new neighbor was pretty "aggressive" with that call-me note, I'm inclined to skip the waving, just ignore them, and consequently send the signal that I don't have any interest in a "neighbor-relationship". How would you deal with this one?

2. How do you deal with your neighbors?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, crockett said:

I can count those encounters on 2 hands.  2 Hands???  How bout 1.

Sure, if any of them have a serious emergency, like an accident, somebody breaking into their home, etc, I will help. But other than that, a handwave is my perfect relationship. It sends a friendly signal, and keeps them on distance at the same time.  Exactly the same here.

1. Since this new neighbors was pretty "aggressive" with that call-me note, I'm inclined to skip the waving, just ignore them,  Ya know, Not bein funny but possibly she just thinks your the "cute bachelor dude".:anim_lol: Is she single??

2. How do you deal with your neighbors?  Exactly the same.  I got 2 "friends" in my hood.  That's not a term I use lightly.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Ya know, Not bein funny but possibly she just thinks your the "cute bachelor dude".:anim_lol: Is she single??

Not sure if she is single. I saw her on the recoding with a younger woman, maybe a daughter.

Maybe she saw me in the past, and tries to find a new nest provider / bill payer, who knows.

And that alone is just another reason to stay clear. I have no interest in ANY relationships, let alone a romantic one. In all my long-term relationships I used to be super nice from day one, and that was misinterpreted as "he looks like he is willing to change", and once I find out that a female tries to manipulate me, I turn into a rock with a 30 foot wall surrounding me. At that point I have lost all my respect and the relationship is written off from my perspective. I just let them find it out the hard way and they got out eventually, when every request for change was answered with the opposite. So I won't be found in any relationship ever again, for me, its just a waste of health, time and money.

Not once have I found a woman that doesn't start nagging and twisting at some point. Looking back at the wives from friends or business partners, I see them nagging, throwing a fit, telling their guys what to do, all the time.

Worst case scenario is my CEO. His wife bosses him around all the time. When she is in a bad mood - and that happens ALL the ******* time - he is the doormat for her. She calls and texts him all the time, often several times each hour. Absolute control freak.

He is a good guy and 100% reliable towards me, but I can't understand how he survives that level of oppression. I would have long snapped and told her to find another fool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Maser said:

Do you also yell at kids to get off your lawn? 

No, I love seeing kids playing in the neighborhood, even on my lawn, and having a good time. Much healthier for them, compared to living a life online, in video games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, crockett said:

1. Since this new neighbor was pretty "aggressive" with that call-me note, I'm inclined to skip the waving, just ignore them, and consequently send the signal that I don't have any interest in a "neighbor-relationship". How would you deal with this one?

1. I'd ignore her. 

2. I'm the most outgoing of my neighbors, if that's a clue. My in-laws live behind us, and we get along fine. On my right is a couple whom we've known for 30 years and we're available to each other for help but not in each others' faces. On my left is a young couple with two girls who watch our cat when we go out of town. We're in the country, and people out here are neighborly but not overly chatty, etc., plus we moved here in the midst of the COVID, so everyone pretty much keeps to themselves still. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, crockett said:

The house across the street sold 2 months ago because the HOA ruled that we won't allow any rental properties in our community anymore. So this time it was sold to a home owner and not somebody who will lease it to temporary renters. Nobody moved in yet, but I just saw a car on the driveway.

About 3 weeks ago I found a random advertisement postcard on my front door step with "I'm your new neighbor, call me, xxx xxx xxxx) hand-written on it. I checked my security camera recordings and watched a female, age around 50, ring my doorbell (I wasn't home) and come back 3 minutes later with said postcard.

I never called her, because nobody gets my cell phone number. Only my CEO and my CPA have my number, and they only call if something is on fire. Ever since I retired 8 years ago, I enjoy not having to deal with calls, not being woken up for bullshit, and not having to live by anybody's schedule, needs or wants. That is part of my no-stress-lifestyle, which I implemented back in the day.

Out of the neighbors living on my street, I ignore about half, the rest gets to see a friendly wave when I drive by, or they drive by. I talked to 3, and I can count those encounters on 2 hands.

Now, I'm not your average guy. I hate small talk in person, because I genuinely don't care for drama or any of that he said / she said neighborhood bullshit. I also don't want to be invited to anything, and I don't want people to show up and ask for a pound of sugar or my tools.

Sure, if any of them have a serious emergency, like an accident, somebody breaking into their home, etc, I will help. But other than that, a handwave is my perfect relationship. It sends a friendly signal, and keeps them on distance at the same time.

My experience shows, that once you get too close with neighbors, they will find out your position on politics and everything else. Its just a matter of time and a conflict creeps in. Since moving away isn't easily done once a conflict is established, I rather lower the risk of confrontation by being the guy that waves and keeps on going.

I simply don't.  I learned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

Naw.  If I wanted to be an *******, I'd just turn on the Auto Sprinklers!!!  In the zone that I wanted to SOAK!!! And...watch from inside!!:anim_lol:

Or just find a kid to do the job for you.  :D

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

Hey crockett you want to come over this weekend for a bbq? My neighbors are awesome the lady on the left is an incredible cook and she sends all sorts of stuff over to me. Her and her husband are cool as hell i have had many talks with them out in the yard over the years and enjoy the hell out of it. My neighbor on the right is an absolute sweetheart i even have a key to her house.😍 The folks across the street own the restaurant and i get a discount for looking out for their house when gary leaves the garage door open in the winter and its 30 below and i call his wife and she asks me to close it for her then she brings me homemade cheesecake or pizza from their place.   I got some kick ass neighbors and i am glad and enjoy having a good relationship with them. Now i just got to get this grumpy ass crockett to come over for a bbq and lighten up.:cheers: Just kiddin with ya crockett.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hook said:

Hey crockett you want to come over this weekend for a bbq? My neighbors are awesome the lady on the left is an incredible cook and she sends all sorts of stuff over to me. Her and her husband are cool as hell i have had many talks with them out in the yard over the years and enjoy the hell out of it. My neighbor on the right is an absolute sweetheart i even have a key to her house.😍 The folks across the street own the restaurant and i get a discount for looking out for their house when gary leaves the garage door open in the winter and its 30 below and i call his wife and she asks me to close it for her then she brings me homemade cheesecake or pizza from their place.   I got some kick ass neighbors and i am glad and enjoy having a good relationship with them. Now i just got to get this grumpy ass crockett to come over for a bbq and lighten up.:cheers: Just kiddin with ya crockett.

:D

That sounds awesome. For an extrovert.

Extroverts gain energy when they surround themselves with people. They literally need regular in-person interaction.

But people do drain the energy of introverts. I can be by myself endlessly and don't miss anything.

My days are planned. A neighbor coming over would throw my plans off.

I put myself on an all organic and none GMO diet many years ago. I can't eat what others prepare, I also don't eat in restaurants anymore.

And while I consider this entire covid situation as a political stunt, the virus is real. I won't get the vaccine, but I will also not risk getting infected again, so I won't hang out with people any time soon.

I was a social butterfly for a long time when I was still actively running my business.. I was out and about every day and most nights, always networking, and partying with different groups of friends, business partners, customers, ex wife, families, etc. Looks like I had enough for the rest of my life.

• Like 2

Last week I was in my backyard on an Early Sunday morning checking the pool when I heard a water running sound.  Couldn't figure out what it was then realized it was coming from the neighbor who lives across the fence on the back side of my property.  I looked over the fence and saw water gushing out of the hose that connects the re circulating pump to the sand filter on his pool had snapped and water was flowing out of the break.  His pool water level was considerably down.  So I went into the house to change my clothes-still had my jammy's on-to walk over and tell him.  By the time I got in the house I saw him walking in his yard toward the break.  I then realized this same family has lived across the fence from me for at least 20 years and not only do I not know their names, but I couldn't pick them out of a line up.  

Fences make good neighbors.  

• Like 3

She probably wants to sell you Pampered Chef clutter or essential oils.

This thread has a disproportionate number of extreme introverts.  You make me feel like an actual extrovert.

We make cookies for any new neighbors that arrive and introduce ourselves.  After that, I'm good with just the friendly wave going forward.

• Like 2

I've lived in the same neighborhood for 25 years. Ex-step-uncle-in-law (yes, I'm serious. we figured it out.) lives across the street. We talk often. He's good people, if a bit lefty for my tastes. But he strongly supports gun rights, and we keep an eye on each other's places when we go on vacation, get the mail, etc.

South neighbors are 30 feet away. Nice enough folks, too many kids, and a dog that barks at me while I'm in my back yard. North neighbors are 30 feet away. Puerto Ricans. He works all the time installing building fire sprinklers. I never see her. They're quiet, at least. East neighbor is about 80 feet away. I see/hear the lady when she cuts the grass. Across the street and behind a row of houses, there's a community park. It gets LOUD on martin luther king day. I'm really not a fan of that. Also, I've heard MANY gunshots from over there, over the years. The rescue helicopter usually lands in the soccer field. 

I've been known to sit on my front stoop and clean my shotgun. I don't mind giving a smile and friendly wave while I'm doing that. Just keep driving along, neighbor.

I'm actively looking at land out west. Heading out there to explore some neighborhoods next month. And by neighborhoods, I mean 35 acre ranches. I want a rocking chair on a porch facing the road. Thinking of calling the ranch "No Me Jodas Acres."

• Like 1