Upward Trend in Covid + Tests

tadbart

I agree cases aren't the key number.  They can vary with testing levels, immunity levels (natural or via vaccination), and due to reporting bias.

There is a small but noticeable upward trend right now in cases and in hospitalizations in the US, although deaths aren't quite following. (At least not yet).

image.thumb.png.e1918f6f1a0d67ea4e9a4fcbd34b177b.png

I'm in the southeast, and looking at each state in the area (TN, NC, AL, GA, SC, FL) the same pattern seems to generally be the case.  Cases & hospitalizations up, but not necessarily deaths.

If we look at the UK, we see some instructive data.  They have been dealing with the India/Delta variant longer and it has been accounting for essentially all their cases for the last month or more.  They are seeing a HUGE spike in cases from Delta (which we could, too, in another month or so of spread); however, note the deaths in the UK numbers, especially as compared to the cases:

image.png.b3e857642ad0da7bd85a297576ecaf7d.png

This leads me to believe, Delta isn't much of a risk and the media is just doing their usual hyperventilating to get clicks and sell ads.

The two caveats are:

1. Our case-to-death ratio will likely be influenced by our immunity levels.  The UK is more highly vaccinated than the US.  It may depend on how much natural immunity we already have.

2. Even though deaths don't seem to be jumping substantially, hospitalizations are up and that's not great.  Getting sick for a day or twelve is one thing.  Being admitted to a hospital is a whole other level of headache.  (Hospitalizations in the UK are up somewhat).

image.png.bc378c4aede7963eb7f186fac9b661e3.png

42 minutes ago, Maccabeus said:

...hospitalizations are up and that's not great...

That's what they said last year, even locally where I live, for our hospital.

So I drove by my local hospital every night and watched it for 10 to 15 minutes.

- The parking lot was always empty

- The entrance to the ER was always empty

- I never saw an ambulance bringing somebody in

- One night a nurse was waiting outside to be picked up. I asked her how bad the situation is. She said: "Well, we are not supposed to talk about it, but they are sending me home because the hospital is almost empty."

So yeah, I don't trust government with the current administration one inch, I don't trust 90% of all main stream media including those stats and graphs from New York Times, and I don't trust ANYTHING spread on social media at this point.

I trust what I can see and hear - unaltered - with my eyes and ears.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

I don't care about number of cases, I watch the number of deaths and locally the number has not moved.  The overblown bullshit continues.

I have watched the local obituaries since the beginning of this and there has been little if no change over past few years.  Most of the deaths are between the age of 65-90 with a few younger and an occasional child.  Looking at the local history that has always been the case.  Of the younger ones,  most cases if you read the obit they had suffered from something such as cancer or other long term illness. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crockett said:

So I drove by my local hospital every night and watched it for 10 to 15 minutes.

- One night a nurse was waiting outside to be picked up. I asked her how bad the situation is. She said: "Well, we are not supposed to talk about it, but they are sending me home because the hospital is almost empty."

So yeah, I don't trust government with the current administration one inch, I don't trust 90% of all main stream media including those stats and graphs from New York Times, and I don't trust ANYTHING spread on social media at this point.

We definitely had a busy spell in our area over this past winter.  I go to church with one of the head covid nurses for our local hospital and they were swamped for much of January.  She was pulling triple shifts and looked pretty worn out, which made me worried for the level of care the patients were receiving at that time.  Nobody wants to be treated by an exhausted health care worker.  Especially if you're in critical care or on a vent! 😳

Having said that, I'm sure some places were more hype than harm.

• Like 2

Went down to see my Aunt at the Assisted living place today.  Nope.  Had 2 cases of Covid show up inside.  Don't know whether it's workers or resident.  Probably worker.  They are now on 2 week Lockdown.  Guess all I can do is call...if she picks up the phone.  She's not real good at that...

• Sad 4

23 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Went down to see my Aunt at the Assisted living place today.  Nope.  Had 2 cases of Covid show up inside.  Don't know whether it's workers or resident.  Probably worker.  They are now on 2 week Lockdown.  Guess all I can do is call...if she picks up the phone.  She's not real good at that...

The sad thing about this is no one may be sick, it just means two people tested positive when tested.  The two people may not exhibit any signs of illness but everyone is locked down.  It's unfortunate there isn't a better test with fewer false positives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

It's unfortunate there isn't a better test with fewer false positives.

Isn't that the truth.  With all our knowledge, vaccines etc, etc, etc, you would THINK they could at LEAST create a friggin TEST that people could believe in!!!:angryfire:  No.  Just shut everything down for 2 weeks.  That's their only answer.  Ruin as many lives as possible.  Really sad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crockett said:

Appendectomy on April 15, 2020. Two patients in the whole floor. Me and some other guy.

I don't trust governments since I became of age.  Notice the plural in "governments". Foreign and domestic. Everything taken with a grain of salt. Or two....

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Isn't that the truth.  With all our knowledge, vaccines etc, etc, etc, you would THINK they could at LEAST create a friggin TEST that people could believe in!!!:angryfire:  No.  Just shut everything down for 2 weeks.  That's their only answer.  Ruin as many lives as possible.  Really sad.

I have read - don’t recall the source - that running the test more than 30 or so cycles generates increasing false positives as the number of cycles increases. 

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

I have read - don’t recall the source - that running the test more than 30 or so cycles generates increasing false positives as the number of cycles increases. 

Like I said, they can't make a "Reliable" "TEST", I damn sure ain't gettin stuck with nothing that has NO TESTING what so ever!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Like I said, they can't make a "Reliable" "TEST", I damn sure ain't gettin stuck with nothing that has NO TESTING what so ever!!!

Oh, but Biden and Dr F and some other prominent people have been seen getting “the jab” live on TV. So we KNOW the jab is safe - right?

And could there be a hidden message in calling it “the jab” rather than a vaccination?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is perfectly normal, and something to be celebrated. It's what a flu virus does as it's burning out.

They mutate from making the host very ill, to being able to jump from host-to-host easier. So as viruses burn out, they become faaar less nasty, but much easier to catch.

Which is what we're seeing. More people are testing positive, but very, very few people are dying. Even as cases are increasing, death rates are lowering or staying the same.

• Like 2