Site Upgrade Issues - Please Read

Eric

4 hours ago, Eric said:

OK, the site was just down for some time. An email alert woke me up and I checked the site. It was throwing a server error, caused by Tapatalk. I have the Tapatalk plugin disabled until I can figure out what happened. After I have had some more sleep.

@LostinTexas, now that the app is disabled, I’d appreciate it if you could check to see if you are still having the same problem on your phone, when you see this message. 

Yes, seems to be working properly now.

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Well Eric, have you chased down your phantoms for now? I realize it was probably a frustrating and busy couple of days, but do you have it going your way? Seems this thread stopped, so hopefully you are getting some down time over this.

No, I've been going back and forth with them all day on this. There is another pretty serious issue with their plugin, but the feature that was screwing up your navigating the site is an intentional part of their system. They want me to pay $10 a month to them to turn it off and this is on top of the time I am wasting trying to deal with the other Tapatalk issue.

I have removed Tapatalk from the site and will no longer offer it. I just started another thread about that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

No, I've been going back and forth with them all day on this. There is another pretty serious issue with their plugin, but the feature that was screwing up your navigating the site is an intentional part of their system. They want me to pay $10 a month to them to turn it off and this is on top of the time I am wasting trying to deal with the other Tapatalk issue.

I have removed Tapatalk from the site and will no longer offer it. I just started another thread about that.

Some folks just make you want to go

Head Slap.gif

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eric said:

This announcement just popped up on my screen. Only admins see these notices.

ruKiddingMe.thumb.png.1aca84d378758c264ebe034d02aedda6.png

:anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol:

:anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol::anim_lol:

I should still have my forum software from the late 90s somewhere, written in Perl. Just in case you want something stable lol

It saved content in txt files lol That **** is so old, no hacker will know what to do with it.

Found a Web Archive snapshot from 20 years ago.

image.thumb.png.81ac5bd4d091dd65c973bf29ca8e3904.png

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, crockett said:

I should still have my forum software from the late 90s somewhere, written in Perl. Just in case you want something stable lol

It saved content in txt files lol That **** is so old, no hacker will know what to do with it.

Found a Web Archive snapshot from 20 years ago.

image.thumb.png.81ac5bd4d091dd65c973bf29ca8e3904.png

I started out using Matt's WWW CGI message board software, back in 1996. It was basic as hell. I taught myself how to program in PERL hacking it up and modifying it. I moved on to WeBBBS next and modified it even more. Then on to UBB. They had an odd structure. The site and forum index pages were dynamically generated, but the message thread pages were stored as HTML pages. It was a cumbersome system. I did a lot of work with various clients modifying UBB sites for them. Then on to vBulletin, which I used for a LONG time. TBS even started out on vBulletin. I've only been using Invision for four years or so.

• Like 1

I see you have the Dark mode up top. You da man.

I just turn down the brightness or use the built in night light. Makes for more pleasant viewing in the evenings. Still a nice touch, and using the night light built in to Windows might still not be a bad idea, even with the dark mode.

What's with the,... when ya, "Quote" somebody...there's this "Expand: thing"? In the Quote.  Just curious.  I use to be able to just "see" the whole Quote

Now It's an extra click to see the whole quote.  Ain't bitchin...just curious.  

I know...ya hate me...:anim_lol:

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

What's with the,... when ya, "Quote" somebody...there's this "Expand: thing"? In the Quote.  Just curious.  I use to be able to just "see" the whole Quote

Now It's an extra click to see the whole quote.  Ain't bitchin...just curious.  

I know...ya hate me...:anim_lol:

Scrolling past half a page of quoted images and such is a PITA. I think most people will agree. Now, people only need to see all the quoted content if they want to. It's usually pretty obvious what is being quoted, without expanding it.

• Like 3

• Administrators

OK. I think I've got the text colors for the various user groups changed around so they view acceptably in the several different places they appear here. I had to change most of the colors to accomplish this. The color choices might not be ideal, but picking colors that work again both light and dark backgrounds is difficult. If you spot anywhere that a user name appears that it doesn't contrast enough with its background, please let me know.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I did a bit of work on the logo so that there wouldn't be any green antialiasing slag on the Borehat graphic when viewed over the brown background. It might not have bothered you, but it bugged the hell out of me.

• Administrators
On 7/14/2021 at 10:21 PM, Eric said:

This announcement just popped up on my screen. Only admins see these notices.

ruKiddingMe.thumb.png.1aca84d378758c264ebe034d02aedda6.png

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

How long before you MUST do this again?

The March of Progress. The notice above popped on my screen two days ago. Most updates are quick and simple. Updates like the last one don’t happen that often, luckily.

17 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Not really.  Old people forget ****.  You're makin me "click" to be "reminded".  Don't worry.  Your times comin youngen,,,:biggrin:

Bounce your head for a hundred yards(ish) down a highway and see how remembering works out for you. ?

The trauma surgeons were very impressed with the helmet and protective gear. One of those "no way this one should still be alive" moments. Long term memory is in tact. Short term, not so much. Six years and it still frustrates LostWife. She just can't get used to it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Bounce your head for a hundred yards(ish) down a highway and see how remembering works out for you. ?

The trauma surgeons were very impressed with the helmet and protective gear. One of those "no way this one should still be alive" moments. Long term memory is in tact. Short term, not so much. Six years and it still frustrates LostWife. She just can't get used to it.

It is one hell of a go-to excuse though, as long as you don't play the card too often. :biggrin:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

It is one hell of a go-to excuse though, as long as you don't play the card too often. :biggrin:

LOL, It really sucks. Caused some stress at times, but she is coming around. Telling one thing is not bad, and I have a chance. Change it a time or ten (some folks are really good at that ?), and I'm totally lost and can't remember the first thing. If I can hang on to it long enough to develop long term, I can retain it. 

It makes life "Interesting", for sure.

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, LostinTexas said:

LOL, It really sucks. Caused some stress at times, but she is coming around. Telling one thing is not bad, and I have a chance. Change it a time or ten (some folks are really good at that ?), and I'm totally lost and can't remember the first thing. If I can hang on to it long enough to develop long term, I can retain it. 

It makes life "Interesting", for sure.

Get yourself one of those little Columbo notebooks and write stuff down. Or use a voice notes app on your phone. Of course, then you have to remember to check them. You could tie a string around your finger to remember that, but then you would have to remember why you have string on your finger. You could... :anim_lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric said:

Get yourself one of those little Columbo notebooks and write stuff down. Or use a voice notes app on your phone. Of course, then you have to remember to check them. You could tie a string around your finger to remember that, but then you would have to remember why you have string on your finger. You could... :anim_lol:

Yea, the Notes Wicket on my phone is pretty extensive. I hate that friggin thing, but it has a function. I do remember to check that, most of the time. Reading something is better than hearing it or even writing it, but hard to jot down everything that we would normally just remember. Some days are better than others. I like the good days.

Still carry around thousands of precalculated drug dosages, but can't remember where we bought the head of lettuce in the sink an hour ago on occasion.

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Yea, the Notes Wicket on my phone is pretty extensive. I hate that friggin thing, but it has a function. I do remember to check that, most of the time. Reading something is better than hearing it or even writing it, but hard to jot down everything that we would normally just remember. Some days are better than others. I like the good days.

Still carry around thousands of precalculated drug dosages, but can't remember where we bought the head of lettuce in the sink an hour ago on occasion.

It's OK if you have no head for lettuce. At least you're not a vegetable. Seriously though, it sure beats the alternative. I've been lucky with my bike crashes. They all just involved roadrash.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

It's OK if you have no head for lettuce. At least your not a vegetable. Seriously though, it sure beats the alternative. I've been lucky with my bike crashes. They all just involved roadrash.

Not too sure about the alternative part. I got a peek, I think. Nothing like the things you read or hear of, but just at the waiting room I recon.

Dream, hallucinations, real, or otherwise, I can't say, but many things for me have changed. All for the better. I'm still an a$$h0le, but you will never find one  more at peace. LOL Pretty cool after a lifetime of being stressed and at odds with myself.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eric said:

OK. I think I've got the text colors for the various user groups changed around so they view acceptably in the several different places they appear here. I had to change most of the colors to accomplish this. The color choices might not be ideal, but picking colors that work again both light and dark backgrounds is difficult. If you spot anywhere that a user name appears that it doesn't contrast enough with its background, please let me know.

Thanks, I can see my name again! ?

• Like 1

• Eric unpinned this topic