Site Upgrade Issues - Please Read

Eric

• Administrators

As you all know, I recently updated the site's software. This was done because it has to be done to keep the site in spitting distance of the software's development cycle and to keep the site secure. There are a number of issues that have arisen because of this and mention of these issues is scattered all over the place. It is hard for me to keep up with it all. I am going to ask you all to help.

If you have spotted a problem, an annoyance, a change you just don't like, etc. Please post it here. If you have already posted it elsewhere, please repost it here. I need all this info in one place. Please include as much information as possible, including screenshots if you know how and it would help. The type of device you are using, the device's OS and browser type info would help as well.

I will take your info and start a public To-Do list here at the bottom of this post. You can see your item added and you can see as I address the items and check them off. There are a number of behind-the-scenes issues I am dealing with as well and I'm busy as hell with it all. Helping me to organize this information in one place would be a big help.

1. User titles missing.
  2. User name colors can't be read against background in threads on mobile devices.
  3. The text field does not automatically scroll up as you type in message content when posting from a phone.

I posted this in a couple of other threads aimed toward you, but since you asked. On my android, the site keeps demanding I download Tap talk or chrome. As long as I put it in desktop mode, the site works. Probably nothing of your doing, but it's there.

We have been experiencing some odd messaging while posting pics as well. Some off the wall message on the "Error Warning". Mine seems to be working now though. Maybe you already addressed that.

Corresponding screen shot.

Screenshot_20210713-151914_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

I posted this in a couple of other threads aimed toward you, but since you asked. On my android, the site keeps demanding I download Tap talk or chrome. As long as I put it in desktop mode, the site works. Probably nothing of your doing, but it's there.

We have been experiencing some odd messaging while posting pics as well. Some off the wall message on the "Error Warning". Mine seems to be working now though. Maybe you already addressed that.

Corresponding screen shot.

Screenshot_20210713-151914_DuckDuckGo.jpg

What browser do you normally use on your phone and do you have Tapatalk installed on your phone? You are the only person who has complained of this issue. There must be a combination of things making this happen, in your case.

Just now, Eric said:

What browser do you normally use on your phone and do you have Tapatalk installed on your phone? You are the only person who has complained of this issue. There must be a combination of things making this happen, in your case.

DDG browser, and no, I don't have Chrome or TT installed, for lots of reasons.

Like I said, go to settings and select a desktop view and all is good, don't and the threads won't open. You have to go to an individual thread. Just a quirk I guess and I can live with it. Still needs to be out there for those who have the same problem.

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

It seems you found this thread already and corrected it. 

Seems like you are having to chase down a lot of malfunctions, or maybe not, but I can only imagine the frustration.

Thanks

It's a bug-hunt. I had to stop beside the road and fix that one with my phone which was not easy, but it was a serious issue. The failure to post pictures was just one aspect of it. I didn't want to do this software update, but the new version releases were stacking up and there were several security-related issues that had to be addressed. There were no security patches released that I could install, only the software updates. You don't just buy this software anymore. I mean, you pay for it up front and it was expensive, but then you pay their fees to keep your liecense active and if you don't, it really screws you.

At this point, if my license isn't active, I can't even post questions in the company's support forums, or buy any other software app or plugin. Everything runs through their 'Marketplace'. It is infuriating, but that is what the industry has become. The steady version releases is a part of their shell game, but it is one that user's have to play. The site's software license expired today and I am left with the decision of paying the money to renew it or go it alone without any support, until the next big update or big problem forces me to renew the license. I own the software and can run the site without an active license, but it makes everything harder for me.

I timed this upgrade when I did because I knew the license was about to expire and I needed to get the software up-to-date. The license has to be renewed every six months. The last time I was forced to renew it was when I moved the site onto the new server last winter and ran into a database problem I needed help with. I couldn't post to the company's support forum without an active license. Anyway, the licensing fees are expensive and I don't want to have to spend the money, if it can be avoided. So, I updated the site last weekend and now I'll spend dozens of hours dealing with the issues that have arisen because of it.

Sorry. I am rambling. It has been a long, shitty day.

• Like 1

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Like I said, go to settings and select a desktop view and all is good, don't and the threads won't open. You have to go to an individual thread. Just a quirk I guess and I can live with it. Still needs to be out there for those who have the same problem.

I just turned off the Tapatalk app, for the time being. When you get a chance, please try to view the site on your Android device and see if the problem persists.

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Actually, I just found an Android-specific option on my config page on the Tapatalk site and I'm wondering if it is the culprit. I've reactivated the Tapatalk plugin here, but deactivated that setting. Can you check to see if the problem is still occurring?

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

If you aren't online right now, please test the site on your Anxdroid device on your next visit, after you see this. I've submitted a support request with Tapatalk as well.

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

If you aren't online right now, please test the site on your Anxdroid device on your next visit, after you see this. I've submitted a support request with Tapatalk as well.

Sorry, took a bit. Yes, still the same on this end.

If you're still there, I'll keep a tab open till the top of the hour so I can see if a notification pops up.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, LostinTexas said:

Sorry, took a bit. Yes, still the same on this end.

This is what their site says about the option I just disabled. It sounds like exactly the problem you described.

Enable Android Deep Links

Android Deep Link allows your members with Tapatalk app to directly enter your discussion thread when clicking a link, for examples, from email. Clicking one of these links might open a disambiguation dialog, which allows your members to select either to open it in Tapatalk app, or in Chrome.

Android Deep Links are automatically enabled for some of the popular forums in Tapatalk. In every Tapatalk Android release, our system updates the list of sites - if you do not want your site to be included in Tapatalk Deep Links, check the following checkbox to opt-out from Android Deep Links.

Opt-out of Tapatalk Android Deep Links

Perhpa it takes them a while to push the option change, or the info is cached, or what you are actually viewing on your phone is cached locally. I don't know. Maybe restart your phone and see if it changes anything? I'll recycle the caches on the site. Failing that, I guess we will wait to see what Tapatalk has to say.

BTW, are you clicking on thread links in TBS emails when this occurs?

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Cleared cach, restarted and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still there. We'll see what morning brings. Rest your head, if you can.

Does this problem start when you follow thread links from TBS emails? That's important.

• Administrators
Just now, LostinTexas said:

Was adding that I just go to the bookmark for the page. I don't have emails activated.

Can you type in theboresite.com fresh and see if the same thing still happens?

• Administrators
Just now, LostinTexas said:

Still there

It was worth a try. That Android Deep Links setting has to be the culprit. They either haven't changed the setting yet, or there is an extra hoop I'll have to jump through to make it happen. I'll wait to hear from them. It'll probably be tomorrow.

I've dealt with enough IT in the past two weeks to piss off the Pope. Finally got my machine sent back, and they didn't want it. No way around it HP cheaped out and no amount of software, updates, or drivers will fix a hardware problem. They got the machine today, so we'll see how it goes.

Nothing to do with any of the above, just saying I understand the frustration and appreciate all you do.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

OK, the site was just down for some time. An email alert woke me up and I checked the site. It was throwing a server error, caused by Tapatalk. I have the Tapatalk plugin disabled until I can figure out what happened. After I have had some more sleep.

@LostinTexas, now that the app is disabled, I’d appreciate it if you could check to see if you are still having the same problem on your phone, when you see this message. 

• Administrators

Important bit of advice: Never screw with a Linux server’s /tmp directory. It doesn’t like it and it will bite you. One of the server services upgrades did just that, which caused the picture upload issue and another, more serious problem. I think I just fixed that issue.

• Like 1

• Eric unpinned this topic