Real life

crockett

5 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Goin to Cody, and shooting some there, too.

Like I said, are you an Auto lady or a wheel gun Lady?  I use to be SOLID Colt .45 commander.  But...as I got older, that damn thing wouldn't fit in my shorts.  Settled on the Glock 30s.  10+1.  I live in Florida though.  You got bigger creatures than me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Like I said, are you an Auto lady or a wheel gun Lady?  I use to be SOLID Colt .45 commander.  But...as I got older, that damn thing wouldn't fit in my shorts.  Settled on the Glock 30s.  10+1.  I live in Florida though.  You got bigger creatures than me.

Definitely auto.  First handgun I ever shot was my uncle's Beretta 92... and... I was hooked.  So that was my first pistol.  It's still around here somewhere...lol.  Also, I've never jammed a semi-auto so bad I couldn't clear it myself.  I have, however, jammed my S&W 686 to the point I had to take it to the gunsmith.  I carried an HK USP compact 9mm for 20+ years, then switched a couple years ago to the VP9... yes, it really is the most ergonomical handgun I've ever fondled.  I haven't gotten near enough practice with it, though, since ammo/components got hard to find/$$$.  I actually spend the majority of my shooting time with a rifle, though, because I've been instructing at Appleseeds since 2008.  We won't discuss how much money I can sink into a 10-22... I've infected my daughters with that bug - one of them loves her AR15, and other one (who has a better AR than I do) wants... a Garand... for her birthday.  She had no idea how much they cost, and when I told her, the crestfallen look on her face was just classic.  I told her she get me one for my birthday instead...

And I have to admit, I tend to take the 686 (.357) hiking out West.  Where I live, there is the very rare cougar passing thru (DNR won't admit they live here, even though there is now video footage of one walking down the street in the town where we used to live), and there are bears north of us.  The biggest issue on the farmette has been coyotes and coy dogs and coons taking ducks and chickens.  The 12 gauge takes care of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Definitely auto.  First handgun I ever shot was my uncle's Beretta 92... and... I was hooked.  So that was my first pistol.  It's still around here somewhere...lol.  Also, I've never jammed a semi-auto so bad I couldn't clear it myself.  I have, however, jammed my S&W 686 to the point I had to take it to the gunsmith.  I carried an HK USP compact 9mm for 20+ years, then switched a couple years ago to the VP9... yes, it really is the most ergonomical handgun I've ever fondled.  I haven't gotten near enough practice with it, though, since ammo/components got hard to find/$$$.  I actually spend the majority of my shooting time with a rifle, though, because I've been instructing at Appleseeds since 2008.  We won't discuss how much money I can sink into a 10-22... I've infected my daughters with that bug - one of them loves her AR15, and other one (who has a better AR than I do) wants... a Garand... for her birthday.  She had no idea how much they cost, and when I told her, the crestfallen look on her face was just classic.  I told her she get me one for my birthday instead...

And I have to admit, I tend to take the 686 (.357) hiking out West.  Where I live, there is the very rare cougar passing thru (DNR won't admit they live here, even though there is now video footage of one walking down the street in the town where we used to live), and there are bears north of us.  The biggest issue on the farmette has been coyotes and coy dogs and coons taking ducks and chickens.  The 12 gauge takes care of them.

I loved my 92 so much when I got it, I got the Taurus variant a few months later.  Interesting how you settled on HK.  Once I started "tradin" guns around I spent bout 12-14 years with the HK USP Full size, in .45.  Gettin rid of it was one of my bigger mistakes...

Really not a fan of wheel guns, just never got into them.  Don't know why.  Main reason was not enough Ammo for me!!!  That 686 is a beautiful "cannon"! :greensupergrin:  I'd think the AR would be better for the coyotes.  Wouldn't think ya could get close enough to the buggers with a scatter gun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

I loved my 92 so much when I got it, I got the Taurus variant a few months later.  Interesting how you settled on HK.  Once I started "tradin" guns around I spent bout 12-14 years with the HK USP Full size, in .45.  Gettin rid of it was one of my bigger mistakes...

Really not a fan of wheel guns, just never got into them.  Don't know why.  Main reason was not enough Ammo for me!!!  That 686 is a beautiful "cannon"! :greensupergrin:  I'd think the AR would be better for the coyotes.  Wouldn't think ya could get close enough to the buggers with a scatter gun.

Really, the only coyote that let me get that close was slow because it had a Jumbo Pekin duck by the neck in its mouth beating it in the face with its wings, so it couldn't see where it was going or where I was.  Usually when I see them they are on the opposite side of the field and don't come any closer (deer, on the other hand...). There's a scope on the shotgun that is loaded with sabots, so it goes a little further a little more accurately, but yeah, the AR would be a better choice.  It's just that the shotguns are inside the front door and the ARs are in the safe, so it takes too long to get them.  We're running 28:1 coons to coyotes anyway - if there's anything after my animals, I'm comfortable assuming it is a coon (or a possum) until I can see that it isn't.  

I like the 686 for handgun hunting javelina in AZ.  It's easier for me to carry hiking all day than a long gun, and the .357 is fine for that job.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Really, the only coyote that let me get that close was slow because it had a Jumbo Pekin duck by the neck in its mouth beating it in the face with its wings, so it couldn't see where it was going or where I was.  Usually when I see them they are on the opposite side of the field and don't come any closer (deer, on the other hand...). There's a scope on the shotgun that is loaded with sabots, so it goes a little further a little more accurately, but yeah, the AR would be a better choice.  It's just that the shotguns are inside the front door and the ARs are in the safe, so it takes too long to get them.  We're running 28:1 coons to coyotes anyway - if there's anything after my animals, I'm comfortable assuming it is a coon (or a possum) until I can see that it isn't.  

I like the 686 for handgun hunting javelina in AZ.  It's easier for me to carry hiking all day than a long gun, and the .357 is fine for that job.

Dang!  Learned somethin today, thank you very much!!!  :greensupergrin::patriot:  Never heard of a Sabot bullet!  Bet that's got a nice recoil to it.  Ya got a Scope on the 357?  

Hornady 45 Cal Sabot with 40 Cal 200 gr SST® ML™ Bullet | Londero Sports

55 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Dang!  Learned somethin today, thank you very much!!!  :greensupergrin::patriot:  Never heard of a Sabot bullet!  Bet that's got a nice recoil to it.  Ya got a Scope on the 357?  

Hornady 45 Cal Sabot with 40 Cal 200 gr SST® ML™ Bullet | Londero Sports

no scope on the .357.  Too lazy.  There's a Thompson around here in .454 Casull with a scope if I'm crazy enough to shoot it. (I start flinching on the 3rd shot).  Mr.C laughs.

• Haha 2