Oil change question

NPTim

You'll be fine.

At startup, the oil is a little thicker than suggested, but no big deal.  At operating temp, it's still a 20 weight, exactly what you need.  

Don't sweat it!

Edited by Sparks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You're fine. Wrong time of year for Zero degrees startups.

Put the right thing in next time. Worst case in moderate temperatures is loss of fuel economy, and you may not even notice it.

My car uses 0W 20, wife's car 0W 16,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 16! That is thin stuff.

Cold isn't often the "problem" around here.

On the other end, the 210º, or larger number, be careful about going far from recommended viscosity. Oil ports are getting smaller and too thick can cause low flow.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 2

Don't sweat it. Way back in the early 70's, my dad had a barrel of 30 weight delivered. The color was different. We were running it in a bunch of vehicles before we found it it was mislabeled transmission fluid. I'm sure it helped my Maverick Grabber run into the low 14's at the drag strip. Chevron said it wouldn't hurt a thing, but if it did they would cover it. We used the entire 55 gallons in our vehicles. Zero issues.

4 hours ago, NPTim said:

I was supposed to put 0w 20 or 30. I bought 5w20 by accident. Am I screwed? Should I change it tomorrow or am I ok until time for next change?

Depends on the state (and winter conditions) you are going to face. Both 0W20 and 5W20 are winter-grade oils designed for cold weather.

0W20 is good to -40 C (-40 F)

5W20 is good to -35 C (-31 F)

• Like 1

So a lot of car companies recommend 0W oil these days for mileage/emissions purposes.  It isn't that it's the absolute best oil for your car, but the thinnest oil they can use that will still keep the engine from wearing out too quickly.

As long as you don't have too thick of an oil for it to flow through the passages properly to all bearing surfaces that need lubricated, then it might even be beneficial long term, at the slight possible loss of fuel mileage.

• Like 1

As said, it'll be OK. 

I changed the oil and filter in my truck a couple of months ago. It had 15k miles on the oil. While I was under the hood I cleaned the battery terminals, thus rebooting the car computer. After I got everything buttoned up and drove it a couple of trips, I found I was averaging 4-5 mpg more than I was used to. Could be the oil (doubt it) or the computer reset. :dunno:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NPTim said:

I was supposed to put 0w 20 or 30. I bought 5w20 by accident. Am I screwed? Should I change it tomorrow or am I ok until time for next change?

Living in AZ you should be fine. Next time get what they call for. tom. :cowboy2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

As said, it'll be OK. 

I changed the oil and filter in my truck a couple of months ago. It had 15k miles on the oil. While I was under the hood I cleaned the battery terminals, thus rebooting the car computer. After I got everything buttoned up and drove it a couple of trips, I found I was averaging 4-5 mpg more than I was used to. Could be the oil (doubt it) or the computer reset. :dunno:

5W20 is rated for outside temperatures up to 25 C. That's only 77 F. Not a good match for Arizona, let alone this time of the year. 20W50 if not 20W60 would be the right call.

Every owners manual I recall states that one needs to adjust viscosity based on local weather and temperature conditions.

I run 20W50 in every vehicle here in Florida. When I used to race bikes, EVERBODY used 10W60 since tracks get even hotter with all the concrete. And Arizona gets much hotter than Florida.

What Is The Difference Between 0w20 and 0w30 Motor Oil? | stikkitnow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NPTim said:

2018 Silverado 1500

I assume its the 5.3l V8.

As Cougar_ml said, manufacturers try to meet strict EPA ratings and archive higher MPGs by reducing the friction in the engine, hence they suggest oils with high viscosity (thin oil). That alone brings major issues to the table. Because of that, the 5.3 is known for oil blow-by, oil burning, oil being pushed into the intake and caking the vales with carbon, resulting in weak combustion.

That **** is on the same level as DEF being used in diesel vehicles and forcing the engines to digest the crap.

In order to lower emissions, the reliability of engines gets compromised. While simple V8s of the past had no issues running 500k miles with proper maintenance, today's V8 engines run into issues once they pass 250k.

It fits our throw-away society as well and manufacturers get to sell more vehicles.

Your manual reads this "When selecting an oil of the appropriate viscosity grade, it is recommended to select an oil of the correct specification."

Makes sure your 5W20 is Dexos Gen 2 approved oil.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 2