How regularly do you shoot?

crockett

How regularly do you shoot these days?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Shooting related posts are kinda rare on TBS, so I was wondering if you guys still go to the range, hunt, do matches, on a regular basis.

• I haven't been out shooting in over a year.
    • I haven't been out shooting in 2021.
    • I get to shoot a few times a year.
    • I get to shoot at least once a month.
    • I get to shoot every week, in average.
    • I get to shoot several times a week, in average.

I don't hunt or do any kind of matches. The last time I had been to the range is over a year ago. Main reason for this long break was the covid situation and the fact that my local range has a very poor air filtration system. Other ranges are over 30 minutes away and I didn't feel like being stuck in our increasing traffic.

Did your desire to shoot slow down, due to covid, ammo / reloading supply shortage or other reasons?

Edited by crockett
  • Like 4

Time, ability, and priority.

I'm fortunate enough to:

-have grown up in a family that was involved in both shooting sports and hunting
-have had some natural abilities that lent themselves to shooting (both sport/hunting and SD)
-have enough $ so time/schedule/priorities are the limiting factor

So....., yeah I'd like to be more active like I was a lifetime ago... but I'm grateful for the life experience I had.

I guess I can buck up and hit the range for an overdue visit, thanks to your thread. [emoji41]

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Maser said:

Well, thanks to the fact I have airguns and a crossbow I can shoot everyday in my backyard. 

I own an air rifle and a BB handgun, nothing special, stuff I bought at Wal Mart. Wish I could shoot those in my backyard but I'm sure the HOA will have a fit at some point. I was searching for a bigger lot outside city limits so that I could run my own backyard range, but real-estate / land prices are through the roof. Land prices doubled compared to a year ago. So this will have to wait for a while...

• Like 1

My "big boy" airgun is my Hatsan 130 Carnivore.  It's a gas-piston in .30 caliber.  I kind of regret buying it because it weighs almost 10 lbs and it's without a doubt the hardest airgun to cock that I ever shot in my life. 

6 minutes ago, TBO said:

Time, ability, and priority.

I'm fortunate enough to:

-have grown up in a family that was involved in both shooting sports and hunting
-have had some natural abilities that lent themselves to shooting (both sport/hunting and SD)
-have enough $ so time/schedule/priorities are the limiting factor

So....., yeah I'd like to be more active like I was a lifetime ago... but I'm grateful for the life experience I had.

I guess I can buck up and hit the range for an overdue visit, thanks to your thread. emoji41.png

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

Right on!

I think I'll call our county run outdoor range tomorrow and see if they are open. Sheriff's training range is right next door. Only issue is our weather. We are back in the rainy season with daily thunderstorms. They close every outdoor range around here at the first sound of thunder. Did the trip many times for nothing.

• Like 2

Depends.  Sometimes there are lots of stupid varmints to whack here on the farm, sometimes there are none.  Sometimes I have to shoot the rabbits for processing because the Man isn't around to do it for me (Hey, I raise them and they're cute and fluffy, so I'd rather not have to shoot them and since he doesn't have anything to do with them, he can shoot them so we can eat them).  Sometimes I have time to go over the hill and practice with the pistol, sometimes I don't have time to reload the ammo.  I'm supposed to re-qual with my rifle every year, so I shoot til I'm official, then I go try to do it with other rifles when I have time and ammo, which hasn't been much this past year.  And then there is January, when the only shooting I'll probably do is a single trip to the indoor pistol range, assuming no Covidiocy.  I used to be better about all of this, practicing with my pistol 100 rounds a week, but then I had kids (sitters are expensive) and ammo got expensive and excuses, excuses...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i used to shoot weekly or at least 3 times a month before i moved.

i had an area to do all the tacticool stuff short of a shoot house.

i haven't in 2021 and only a few times in 2020, ammo is too expensive and there really isn't a place to shoot like i prefer.i still have the option of driving to my old spot but ammo is too expensive still.

there is a Public Archery range about 50 feet from my house so, maybe i`ll re-take up the Bow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the 90's, when I'd go shooting I had a huge igloo cooler.  I'd fill it up with ammo and wheel it out to the range. There was no way I could pick it up.  Then I'd fill a backpack with guns til I could hardly put it on and walk.  I sure miss those sessions.

Now, I might shoot a couple hundred rounds in a trip.

30 minutes ago, crockett said:

Wish I could shoot those in my backyard but I'm sure the HOA will have a fit at some point.

It might not work for you, but I shoot a pellet pistol into a .22 long rifle rated trap in my garage.  It makes a loud plink every time I shoot, which drowns out the air gun's whoosh.

So. hopefully nobody puts two and two together and realizes what I'm doing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

It might not work for you, but I shoot a pellet pistol into a .22 long rifle rated trap in my garage.  It makes a loud plink every time I shoot, which drowns out the air gun's whoosh.

So. hopefully nobody puts two and two together and realizes what I'm doing. 

I have to look into that. I built a wooden wall and tried shooting pallets in my house a couple years ago. Didn't work out so well.

There's now an interesting pattern in the drywall.

• Haha 3

I shoot my airgun in my garage.  I stuffed a cardboard box full of old towels and put it in front a wooden crate.  I tape targets on the cardboard and have at it.

Not only do my neighbors not care, but they come over and we sip bourbon and shoot in my garage quite often.

Don't forget your eye protection!

:)

Edited by Sparks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sparks said:

I shoot my airgun in my garage.  I stuffed a cardboard box full of old towels and put it in front a wooden crate.  I tape targets on the cardboard and have at it.

Not only do my neighbors not care, but they come over and we sip bourbon and shoot in my garage quite often.

Don't forget your eye protection!

:)

My crossbow target is an empty beer case with a rather large beach towel in it and it catches the bolts beautifully without bending the shafts. 

• Like 2

The job allows me two boxes of ammunition a month.  Whatever I want.  Between that and my own.

About every 10 days or so. 

When i was training hard...it was as much as 10,000 rounds of ammunition a year.  (mostly mine)

But I was 15 years younger and not an admin puke.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

My wife , my two younger sons, and I all shoot every Saturday year round other than 6-8 major matches a year when we shoot two to three days in a week. We send at least 2,000+ rounds down range a month except for months when we shoot major matches and that number increases to 2,500 plus.

Covid caused us to miss the last half of March 2020, all of April 2020, and the first half off May 2020. After that shooting returned to normal for us.

We haven’t changed our shooting due to the ammo/primer situation because I usually keep 1-1.5 years worth of components on hand at any given time. It just happened to be May 2020 when I last topped off.

The only change we’ve had to make is I had to dust off the Dillon 900 and start loading 12 gauge which I prefer to buy not reload.

We’re avid shooters. All four of us won State Championships in our age categories last month.

E0481551-04C6-4532-9B4E-A4EB22F7048E.jpeg

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I have a backstop setup on the back forty and can go whenever I want to blow some way-too-scarce ammo. I'm thinking of getting a nice air rifle. They're great for maintaining skills for not-as-much money.

we're having the same thoughts here...

• Like 1