Jump to content

Battlestar Pegusus


Eric
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

I used to own one of the Roger Young starship models, used in the filming of Starship Troopers. I knew a guy who was a model maker for movie projects. I bought it about eight months after production wrapped tor the movie. I also bought one of the holy grails used in filming Indiana Jones III. I ended up giving the grail as a gift and selling the Roger Young to a guy in England, for a couple grand. I wish I had kept the starship. 

64C906CB-253A-4192-8DEE-E97C924CBDB9.jpeg.c1505b8074fb70e59f9232f58b90bccd.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A long time ago, in a city far far away,   I saw a Star Wars exhibit at the Smithsonian.  Some of their model ships were three or four feet long.

But what massive compilations of busted-up balsa wood, springs, toothpicks, dowels, wire, co2 cartridges, staples....  All were roughly globbed together,  with dried glue dripping down.  They got a quick covering with gray spray paint,  and some shading with an airbrush. 

It didn't seem that far removed from Flash Gordon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
6 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

A long time ago, in a city far far away,   I saw a Star Wars exhibit at the Smithsonian.  Some of their model ships were three or four feet long.

But what massive compilations of busted-up balsa wood, springs, toothpicks, dowels, wire, co2 cartridges, staples....  All were roughly globbed together,  with dried glue dripping down.  They got a quick covering with gray spray paint,  and some shading with an airbrush. 

It didn't seem that far removed from Flash Gordon.

My Roger Young was one of the small ones, at about 2 feet in length. They used these ships for fleet and background shots. They had much larger models, with lights and models and moving parts. I once saw one of the large middles of the NCC-1701 Enterprise on display. It was eight feet long or so. Very cool.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2021 at 10:54 PM, Eric said:

Were there design differences between the Pegasus and the Galactica?  I remember the show always showed them at different angles so you knew which ship the following scene was happening on.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
2 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Were there design differences between the Pegasus and the Galactica?  I remember the show always showed them at different angles so you knew which ship the following scene was happening on.

 

There were a lot of them. I remember that the Pegasus had double-decker hanger decks and more engines. There were other differences as well though. It was much more advanced. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

There were a lot of them. I remember that the Pegasus had double-decker hanger decks and more engines. There were other differences as well though. It was much more advanced. 

I want to say that the side pods on the Pegasus did not retract like they did on the Galactica.  I don't recall a lot of details on the interior other than the bridge.

I keep forgetting that the Galactica was an old ship in that timeline - it was going to be a museum before the organic fecal matter impacted the rotary air movement machine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
7 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I want to say that the side pods on the Pegasus did not retract like they did on the Galactica.  I don't recall a lot of details on the interior other than the bridge.

I keep forgetting that the Galactica was an old ship in that timeline - it was going to be a museum before the organic fecal matter impacted the rotary air movement machine.

 

According to a BSG wiki site, the Pegasus was almost twice as big, but with only half the crew, due to automation. It was far more powerful too, of course. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

The Pegasus had dual landing bays on each side, one over the other, with ‘down’ being mirrored to each other. I remember that. The Viper launch tubes were between the two hanger floors and exited out the side. 
 

D50298E1-203F-42BD-8136-78D83909BD84.jpeg.1d37d020c83e15e83760104c0d720a2c.jpeg

 

93026325-810A-4FA8-BFB9-47DEAB7BEAAA.jpeg
 

Notice the reversed landing lights, top and bottom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Eric said:

The Pegasus had dual landing bays on each side, one over the other, with ‘down’ being mirrored to each other. I remember that. The Viper launch tubes were between the two hanger floors and exited out the side. 
 

D50298E1-203F-42BD-8136-78D83909BD84.jpeg.1d37d020c83e15e83760104c0d720a2c.jpeg

 

93026325-810A-4FA8-BFB9-47DEAB7BEAAA.jpeg
 

Notice the reversed landing lights, top and bottom.

One thing they never seem to really address on these shows is how do they generate gravity?  I guess it's some super-secret futuristic tech.

I bring that up because I always assumed that on those ships, everything was oriented the same way as far as up and down.  Basically, if you looked up and could see through the ceiling, you'd be looking up the lady above you's skirt.  It would make more sense scientifically if everything below the midline was "upside down" though, as the natural draw of any sort of gravity would be towards the center.

I think Galactica also used launch tubes but I don't remember where they were exactly.  

I do remember Galactica being out of nukes, but suddenly then having a bunch of space(?)-to-surface nukes on board.  The Reimagined series was nothing if not full of plot holes.  Good series, but it did have it's flaws.

Edited by SC Tiger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
Just now, SC Tiger said:

One thing they never seem to really address on these shows is how do they generate gravity?  I guess it's some super-secret futuristic tech.

I bring that up because I always assumed that on those ships, everything was oriented the same way as far as up and down.  Basically, if you looked up and could see through the ceiling, you'd be looking up the lady above you's skirt.  It would make more sense scientifically if everything below the midline was "upside down" though, as the natural draw of any sort of gravity would be towards the center.

I can’t remember exactly what it was about, but there was a scene in an episode where they took out a bad guy with a gravity gradient on one of the decks. From that, I assume that gravity is generated in the deck, on a deck-by-deck level. The mirrored hanger decks dovetail with that. As to the science/tech of it, if they ever mentioned it, I wasn’t paying attention. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

I can’t remember exactly what it was about, but there was a scene in an episode where they took out a bad guy with a gravity gradient on one of the decks. From that, I assume that gravity is generated in the deck, on a deck-by-deck level. The mirrored hanger decks dovetail with that. As to the science/tech of it, if they ever mentioned it, I wasn’t paying attention. 

I kinda viewed the up-down thing as similar to how every person from every part of the universe in any Marvel movie, speaks English.  It's simply to keep the audience from getting confused. 

Plus at some point you'd have to figure out how to flip the person over when they got to a certain level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched an interview with Ronald Moore, the main writer/producer for the show. He said he intentionally avoided going into technical detail on how all the technology worked. He didn't want to be like another Star Trek that is filled with jargon. He thought it would take away from the story.

So no, they never explained how artificial gravity works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
4 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I kinda viewed the up-down thing as similar to how every person from every part of the universe in any Marvel movie, speaks English.  It's simply to keep the audience from getting confused. 

Plus at some point you'd have to figure out how to flip the person over when they got to a certain level.

 

4 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

I watched an interview with Ronald Moore, the main writer/producer for the show. He said he intentionally avoided going into technical detail on how all the technology worked. He didn't want to be like another Star Trek that is filled with jargon. He thought it would take away from the story.

So no, they never explained how artificial gravity works.

BSG did a great job of keeping their production budget in check by carefully choosing where they spent their FX resources. They did this in little ways and big. Their use of old school firearms was an example of that. 
 

If they hadn’t had artificial gravity, they would have been obliged to make zero G look realistic, as they did everything else. That would have gotten tedious and expensive. 
 

I think the BSG reboot was one of the best produced TV shows in history, as well one of the best dramas of all time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Eric said:

 

BSG did a great job of keeping their production budget in check by carefully choosing where they spent their FX resources. They did this in little ways and big. Their use of old school firearms was an example of that. 
 

If they hadn’t had artificial gravity, they would have been obliged to make zero G look realistic, as they did everything else. That would have gotten tedious and expensive. 
 

I think the BSG reboot was one of the best produced TV shows in history, as well one of the best dramas of all time. 

Funny story on the guns - the handguns actually changed from season 1 to season 2.  I believe it was because the newer models were easier to load and probably cheaper.

A lot of the stuff was kinda old school.  The electronics (radios, etc) always looked old.  I took that as an attempt to give the feel of them having to scrounge for everything - basically a "post apocalyptic" feel.

Another funny story - the paper they used always had the corners cut off as an inside joke to how they had to cut corners.  This started during the pilot but continued through the series, and became a major headache during the series run.

It was one of the better shows in recent memory.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Please Donate To TBS

    Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.
×
×
  • Create New...