Smart Light: Google And Amazon Know When You Go To Bed

pipedreams

"As http://Amazon.com Inc. and Google work to place their smart speakers at the center of the internet-connected home, both technology giants are expanding the amount of data they gather about customers who use their voice software to control other gadgets.

For several years, Amazon and Google have collected data every time someone used a smart speaker to turn on a light or lock a door. Now they’re asking smart-home gadget makers such as Logitech and Hunter Fan Co. to send a continuous stream of information.

In other words, after you connect a light fixture to Alexa, Amazon wants to know every time the light is turned on or off, regardless of whether you asked Alexa to toggle the switch. Televisions must report the channel they’re set to. Smart locks must keep the company apprised whether or not the front door bolt is engaged."

https://www.technocracy.news/smart-light-google-and-amazon-know-when-you-go-to-bed/

https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursuits/your-smart-light-can-tell-amazon-and-google-when-you-go-to-bed

"Even light fixtures, in elaborate setups, are a map of home life: When do you get home? When does the light in your child’s bedroom usually go off? What days do you burn the midnight oil?"

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Naturally all this information will be used only for the benefit of homeowners. 

While everyone worries about what search engine they use, no one is talking about this.  If you have one of those smart locks they know every time the door is accessed. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Maser said:

I wonder just how obnoxious it is to have one of those things and you happen to have a wife or daughter named Alexa. 

A while back,  some company was using the "wake" word in a tv commercial,  and everyone's phone would go to their website.

• Sad 1

I recently read that the ring home surveillance system (and alexa)  had a new "feature" that let's it communicate over whatever available network (esp wireless) is least congested,  or if your network goes down.

Your transmissions are constantly flying all through your neighbor's networks,  public wifi's,  and whatever hotspots might be driving around your 'hood.

The people that get into the biggest kerfuffle over this stuff,  are the people that have been voluntarily using it.

Edited by Huaco Kid
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I recently read that the ring home surveillance system (and alexa)  had a new "feature" that let's it communicate over whatever available network (esp wireless) is least congested,  or if your network goes down.

Your transmissions are constantly flying all through your neighbor's networks,  public wifi's,  and whatever hotspots might be driving around your 'hood.

The people that get into the biggest kerfuffle over this stuff,  are the people that have been voluntarily using it.

You Have Until June 8 To Opt Out Of Amazon Sidewalk

"Amazon customers have one week to opt out of a plan that would turn every Echo speaker and Ring security camera in the US into a shared wireless network, as part of the company’s plan to fix connection problems for its smart home devices.

The proposal, called Amazon Sidewalk, involves the company’s devices being used as a springboard to build city-wide “mesh networks” that help simplify the process of setting up new devices, keep them online even if they’re out of range of home wifi, and extend the range of tracking devices such as those made by Tile."

https://www.technocracy.news/you-have-until-june-8-to-opt-out-of-amazon-sidewalk/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/jun/01/amazon-us-customers-given-one-week-to-opt-out-of-mass-wireless-sharing

• Like 1

Home automation is convenient, but comes at a price. What will the price be in three years and do they have to tell you? The "tell you" part is already sketchy in the way they "Inform".

The phones are all we have to listen in. That is subjective and the phone's are in another room more times than not.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pipedreams said:

While everyone worries about what search engine they use, no one is talking about this.  If you have one of those smart locks they know every time the door is accessed. 

I have been talkin about this in the past.

There are well over 100 devices in my home connected to the internet / home network. I run 10 Gbit LAN network into every room with 1 core switch and 5 slave switches, as well as 2 commercial grade access points for wifi. None of them run or are connected to any Amazon, Apple or Google services.

For instance, when I bought my SONOS speaker system (with speakers in EVERY room including the garage), I made sure to get those without any microphones build in. They stopped making that version and I bought the last ones on eBay (new).

I have a few devices where Alexa etc can be disabled, but I still opened the devices and de-soldered the microphones, even in my laptops. Same with build in cams.

I also run an enterprise grade firewall that blocks all ports and only keeps those open necessary for my needs.

Granted, you have to sit down, read up on your options, buy devices that can be managed, and throw out everything that can't.

My server rack fully hardened to the outside...

#FuckGoogleAmazonApple

unknown.png

Edited by crockett
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, crockett said:

I have been talkin about this in the past.

Granted, you have to sit down, read up on your options, buy devices that can be managed, and throw out everything that can't.

My server rack fully hardened to the outside...

#****GoogleAmazonApple

That's the thing, most just plug it in and don't have a clue.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

But, if you don't have anything to hide, what's the problem?

For me, I believe that my life's deatails are nobody  else's business.

Some things I'm willing to let go, but I want to  feel I'm in control of what other people know about me.

Yes, it's a dream, but if I don't try, I have no control over my life at all.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

For me, I believe that my life's deatails are nobody  else's business.

Some things I'm willing to let go, but I want to  feel I'm in control of what other people know about me.

Yes, it's a dream, but if I don't try, I have no control over my life at all.

Hey! Obama controlled what the public knows about his life. Why can’t we?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

That's the thing, most just plug it in and don't have a clue.

Cheap chinese toys are notorious for introducing all kinds of nasty stuff into personal computers.

There was a huge to-do over a My Best Friend (?) Barbie.  There were many reports of it getting waaaaay too friendly.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

But, if you don't have anything to hide, what's the problem?

prin·ci·ple
/ˈprinsəpəl/

noun
a fundamental proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1