What Year is This BRAT?

DrB

On 6/2/2021 at 5:27 PM, DrB said:

Dropping my Little Creep off at the Doggie Day Care this morning I saw this in the parking lot.  What is the year?

Brat.jpg

When they first came out in 1978 I bought my wife one with a topper.  After all, this is Minnesota.  Wife's was a two door cab.

Going into the dealer I had a plan!  It all went to hell when my wife found a salesman and told him, "I want that pretty Blue one over there!".  I was screwed.

She would drive my two girls to school.  They always chose to ride in the  back.  In Winter they could just tolerate the temps if the cab back window was open for "some" heat.

They were so cool, getting out of the back at school!  All their friends wanted to ride with them, but alas, only two back seats....

My wife loved her little Brat, until it spun a bearing at 30,000 miles.  I had to pay for the engine work.  I dumped the car.

My son learned to drive a stick in it.

The dealer told me it was "just a mechanical failure".

I told him I never lost an engine in my American cars at 30,000 miles!!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/3/2021 at 6:05 PM, crockett said:

This is the small truck I want to see back.

If possible with a 2.8 liter inline 4 diesel, 4WD, manual trans, lockable diffs, long bed, AC, end of story.

1988 Chevrolet C1500 for sale #223685 | Motorious

Not sure if there is supposed to be sarcasm or commentary on current trucks,. or I am missing something, but did you post the wrong picture?  Because that is not a small truck.

On 6/7/2021 at 10:24 AM, SC Tiger said:

Not sure if there is supposed to be sarcasm or commentary on current trucks,. or I am missing something, but did you post the wrong picture?  Because that is not a small truck.

Compared to todays regular cab long bed trucks, a 88 Chevrolet C1500 is indeed small. Not only is it way shorter, lower and lighter, the bed is lower and easy to load as well. I posted that photo because I want smaller regular cab long bed trucks back, and none of that Honda Ridgeline or Baja bullshit.

I own a modern regular cab long bed truck and its MUCH bigger and beefier than the 88 C1500 I posted.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 2

If this helps, truck sizes are cyclical. The Chevy S-10 for instance. Had one about 20 years ago which fit me just fine. Later model was too small for me too even get in. The current version is larger, and next model should be almost full size before they start getting smaller.

The great majority of cars on the road now are SUV's.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, crockett said:

Compared to todays regular cab long bed trucks, a 88 Chevrolet C1500 is indeed small. Not only is it way shorter, lower and lighter, the bed is lower and easy to load as well. I posted that photo because I want smaller regular cab long bed trucks back, and none of that Honda Ridgeline or Baja bullshit.

I own a modern regular cab long bed truck and its MUCH bigger and beefier than the 88 C1500 I posted.

image.png.2ff5fb864facd98327135f2f513cddf9.png

I had that exact truck except in a short bed. Compared to my Dodge, it is a small truck.  I put over 260,000 miles on that truck. That is one vehicle I truly miss. 

• Like 1

Subaru made these from 2003 to 2006. It's a Baja - the Brat was discontinued decades ago.

The 2003s had a ride height that was a smidge lower - this one looks a bit higher, making it 2004-2006.  Also, the 2003 was only available with body color door handles, IIRC, which again would make this an 04-06. The black door handles and headlights with integrated high beams, not a sep lens, makes this the lower end trim (Classic I think it was called) between 2004-2006.

No hood scoop, so it's not the turbo. The turbos are becoming damn pricey and hard to find on the market now.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

I had that exact truck except in a short bed. Compared to my Dodge, it is a small truck.  I put over 260,000 miles on that truck. That is one vehicle I truly miss. 

They are still making them, in the Classic line. While its a very simple truck, I'm not having any issues. Very easy to work on.

Mine was sitting on the lot for almost a year because nobody wants regular cabs anymore, let alone with a long bed. Sticker price was $39k and I got it for $26k. Picked it up 2 states up North in NC. Has exactly what I wanted:

- reg cab

- long bed

- V8

- 4WD

- lockable diff

- power group

- vinyl seats and floor

No way you will find that setup for that price from Ford or Chevy.

That being said, I like extremes and miss having a diesel truck. So I'm looking into a F-450 single cag long bed dually diesel or a RAM 3500 crew cab long bed Cummins.

vehicle.png

PS: THIS is a big truck.

ram-hd-black-1595360655.jpeg?width=2512&

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul53 said:

If this helps, truck sizes are cyclical. The Chevy S-10 for instance. Had one about 20 years ago which fit me just fine. Later model was too small for me too even get in. The current version is larger, and next model should be almost full size before they start getting smaller.

The great majority of cars on the road now are SUV's.

I would not expect them to get smaller.   For a few reasons:

1) The S10 never got smaller I don't think.  More likely your ass got bigger. :anim_rofl2:

2)  Compact trucks are getting bigger because they cannot meet the fuel mileage requirements for a compact truck per the EPA.  So they are big enough to be at the lowest end of the "full size truck" category.  Lower requirements. 

• Like 1

Jumpseats

220px-Subaru_Brat%2C_rear_left_%28Arizon

Subaru Brat rear jumpseats

The USA and Canada's version also had carpeting and welded-in rear-facing jumpseats in the cargo area. These were a tariff-avoidance ploy,[3][4][5] with the plastic seats in the cargo bed allowing Subaru to classify the BRAT as a passenger car - charged only a 2.5%, compared to 25% tariff on light trucks due to Chicken tax. They were discontinued after the 1986 model year.

• Like 1