Jump to content

Karma sent a shot across my bow.


tadbart
 Share

Recommended Posts

OK. So most here know I have a disdain for the FHP that burns as brightly as my love of whiskey and my appreciation for a nice round butt.

So, this first pic is a meme I created many months ago, and it got a bit of good commentary going, as one would imagine.

Yesterday, almost exactly 24 hours ago, I made the bottom meme, and posted it to my social media. Approximately 10 hours later, on my drive to work...

 

Black-n-khaki pulls in behind me and lights up. I was speeding a bit. Pulled over, handed him my license and registration, started looking for my insurance card. He told me to keep looking, while he went back to write me up. No joy. He comes back, and I tell him he's gonna have to go ahead and write me a ticket for no insurance card, too. He sighs, shakes his head, and returns to his car. Soon, he's back with TWO pieces of paper.

1. A warning for unlawful speed of 89 in a 70. Now, I really don't want to argue this, but I ain't so sure about it. My truck just turned 170,000 miles, and although I usually do around 80, 89 seems a bit much. But, I shut my mouth.

2. A $114 ticket for no card, which I can have reduced to $10 if I can produce a card. I can.

 

Here's the thing. the ticket has my truck's info on it. but it has SOME OTHER DUDE'S DRIVER LICENSE AND ADDRESS INFO.

 

We all know I'm gonna do the right thing and get the ticket put in my name. I called their dispatch center twice last night trying to get hold of this guy. I have his name, troop number, and badge number. I know he was working last night. Dispatch sent him messages. I'd like to handle this between he and I, to keep his supervisor out of it. The dude was LITERALLY the second trooper who hasn't been a POS in all my dealings (ER, EMS, traffic, etc.) in over 25 years. I don't want to hem him up- if I made a similar mistake in medicine, it'd be kinda a big deal.  

 

So, the karma part. So strange to get pulled over the same day I post something terrible. Then meet with someone who was quite uncharacteristically pleasant. Then to have him screw the works up, and not let me help him. I can't ignore the ticket, because I don't want the dude whose info is on MY ticket to get hemmed up. What a damn mess.

Screenshot_20210602-095257_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210602-095215_Facebook.jpg

Edited by tadbart
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, tadbart said:

So, the karma part. So strange to get pulled over the same day I post something terrible. Then meet with someone who was quite uncharacteristically pleasant. Then to have him screw the works up, and not let me help him. I can't ignore the ticket, because I don't want the dude whose info is on MY ticket to get hemmed up. What a damn mess.

Tad,

He will likely get back to you shortly.

The issue with troopers in you area is there might be six for the entire county on shift.   

So they can cover a lot of territory and depending on call load and "all other tasks as needed" he may have been busy dealing with other pressing issues...or might have been his day off.  Hell, he might have been spending his day off in traffic court (been there, done that, got the tshirt).

The Trooper did cut you a hell of a break based on your speed.  Nineteen over is getting pretty close to "talking to a judge speed." 

You were looking at $300 plus in fines and then court fees.  You could have been billed for about $400. You got out for a warning and $10.

I would have asked to see your pilot's license.

Glad you ran into a good guy.  No one needs to be a jerk in that line of work.  

Edited by Historian
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Several years ago,  I got pulled over 5 times in two months,  on the interstate between Chicago and St. Louis.  It was, obviously, some kind of sting.  Drugs, duh.  I figure,  I was a grubby guy, in a rental mini-van,  with out-of-state plates,  with a CB antenna on it..

After you see one guy pulled over,  with three or four cars behind him,  trunk open,  belongings scattered around,  and then you see that same scene several times in 15 miles,  you know it's going down.

Each time,  they were professional.  I always refused to let them search ("Mind if I look around?") . Now I'm in it.  I volunteered to roll all the windows down.  They checked my papers,  and listened to my spiel, (work related) and again, and again, and again.  And then I got let go with a warning (they never said for what),  and I never got any documentation from them.

Each time,  it was "Oh. This place again."  The last time,  the guy followed me, waaay too close,  for several miles.  Then I came up behind a semi,  so I bumped the cruise up to 2MPH OVER!, and passed.  WOOOooooo!

There was a rest area right there,  and I pulled in.  I refused the search.  The cop said, "We'll get some dogs here." , after my search refusal.   And I stood there.

"Did you hear me?"  "Yes."   "Why didn't you answer?"   "It was a statement,  not a question."

I like the deep end.  Just jump in.

So I got, like, five cars now,  and two dogs.  Wasted an hour of my time.  (I fully expected a dog to "alert")   I didn't even get any documentation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Historian said:

 

Tad,

He will likely get back to you shortly.

The issue with troopers in you area is there might be six for the entire county on shift.   

So they can cover a lot of territory and depending on call load and "all other tasks as needed" he may have been busy dealing with other pressing issues...or might have been his day off.  Hell, he might have been spending his day off in traffic court (been there, done that, got the tshirt).

The Trooper did cut you a hell of a break based on your speed.  Nineteen over is getting pretty close to "talking to a judge speed." 

You were looking at $300 plus in fines and then court fees.  You could have been billed for about $400. You got out for a warning and $10.

I would have asked to see your pilot's license.

Glad you ran into a good guy.  No one needs to be a jerk in that line of work.  

 

Talking to a judge speed is 30 plus over in Florida, not 20 over (mandatory court appearance), hence 100 plus over on the highway. Going 89 on our highways is often going with the flow.

Only time I ever got pulled over on our highways was for going triple digits.

Heck, in Miami metro the masses go 90 all day long and get past by cops doing 100+. On a highway with 60 mph limit. Nobody gets pulled over unless they suspect something more serious and use the speeding as probable cause for the stop.

All in all, I think our state has some of the best and most lenient LEOs and PDs in the country when it comes to traffic violations. Try getting away with 20 over in Virginia or North Carolina, they'll add reckless driving to the list.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2021 at 1:47 PM, Historian said:

 

Tad,

He will likely get back to you shortly.

The issue with troopers in you area is there might be six for the entire county on shift.   

So they can cover a lot of territory and depending on call load and "all other tasks as needed" he may have been busy dealing with other pressing issues...or might have been his day off.  Hell, he might have been spending his day off in traffic court (been there, done that, got the tshirt).

The Trooper did cut you a hell of a break based on your speed.  Nineteen over is getting pretty close to "talking to a judge speed." 

You were looking at $300 plus in fines and then court fees.  You could have been billed for about $400. You got out for a warning and $10.

I would have asked to see your pilot's license.

Glad you ran into a good guy.  No one needs to be a jerk in that line of work.  

I have to truthfully say that in my life, I have never been stopped by a cop that wasn't professional and courteous to me.  

Many times they simply "warned" me, for things I could have received a ticket or worse, for.

I find mutual respect goes a long way.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One time I came back to my car and there was a ticket on the windshield for being in a no parking zone.  Except, I was legally parked.  So, I'm thinking, "Screw it.  I'll just pay it," since the ticket came with a nice envelope to do that with.  Then, I looked at the license number and it wasn't mine.  In fact, it was a commercial truck license number.  So, I figured some want to be criminal mastermind parked illegally, got a ticket and put it on my car expecting some sucker to pay it.  Sorry Charlie, that ticket got chucked in the round file.  I always wondered how that one turned out. 

sorry_charlie.jpg?itok=rU4PTlPQ&timestam

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One time I came back to my car and there was a ticket on the windshield for being in a no parking zone.  Except, I was legally parked.  So, I'm thinking, "Screw it.  I'll just pay it," since the ticket came with a nice envelope to do that with.  Then, I looked at the license number and it wasn't mine.  In fact, it was a commercial truck license number.  So, I figured some want to be criminal mastermind parked illegally, got a ticket and put it on my car expecting some sucker to pay it.  Sorry Charlie, that ticket got chucked in the round file.  I always wondered how that one turned out. 
sorry_charlie.jpg?itok=rU4PTlPQ&timestamp=1450200907

That lazy oaf probably would not of had to drive far to find an actual illegal parked car


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

One time I came back to my car and there was a ticket on the windshield for being in a no parking zone.  Except, I was legally parked. 

I once got a parking ticket, dahntahn.  I was parked at the last spot, next to a corner, with a parking meter.  I still had time on the meter.  But it was for, like, $75!

After flipping-out for a minute,  I noticed a no-parking sign,  about 15' up a light pole,  right over my car.

BUT THERE WAS A PARKING METER THERE!  No mistakes,  I was the last car.  IT WAS MY METER!

I was so cheesed,  that I instantly walked to the courthouse to contest it. (the ticket told me how to do that.)  I took pictures.  It was late morning,  and I instantly got to go in front of a judge.

Only,  this judge was from, like, Oliver Twist.  He was 100 years old, and I'm sure had vodka in his glass.  He listened to my side and looked at the pictures,  and cut the fine in half.

By their rules,  you either pay now, or if you want to go to court you had to pay triple the original fine, right now.

I just took my beating and left.

I never parked downtown again.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I want to park at a party in a condo complex where the no parking was stenciled on the curb and I couldn’t see it because of the cars already parked there. The curbs were not painted yellow. I got a ticket and I took pictures and when I went to the magistrate the cop was outside and I told him what was up. He said don’t say anything let me do the talking and he went in and pled my case for me. The magistrate was a little ticked and told them not to write any more tickets there until they put signs up. [emoji846]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Several years ago,  I was in a very bad part of Detroit (for work).  An intersection had the lights flashing red,  and there was a fender-bender right in the middle of the intersection.  People were gathered and mad.  Cars were going around.  I went around.

WOOOOooooooo!

The cop said I ran the red light.  He was a gruff ol' tough no-nonsense cop.  I told him I had completely stopped.  He said, "You stopped for the second one,  after you saw me, but you rolled completely through the first one!"

1) I never saw him.  2) I didn't know there were two flashing lights,  I was looking at the crash-fight.  3) I didn't want to stick around the crash-fight  4) Why weren't you at the crash-fight, going Shaft all on them, or directing traffic?

I didn't actually say any of that.

He took my paperwork back to his car.  Then he ran up to my window,  yelled, "Wait here!"  And squealed off with his lights and siren blaring!

With all my paperwork and license.

Now I'm sitting in a very bad part of Detroit....

And the gangstas are starting to give me the stink-eye....

And mulling closer....

And the cops, obviously, had better things to do.

I really considered leaving,  and phoning it in,  but the cop was the skeery kind.  I didn't want to get hit with a stick.  It took him an hour to come back.

It was a $200+ ticket.  But I just paid it.  Because I didn't want to get hit with a stick.

I carried that paid receipt around with me for a couple years,  because I just knew that it was going to come back to haunt me,  in a bad part of Detroit, one day.  It never did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Several years ago,  I was in a very bad part of Detroit (for work).  An intersection had the lights flashing red,  and there was a fender-bender right in the middle of the intersection.  People were gathered and mad.  Cars were going around.  I went around.

WOOOOooooooo!

The cop said I ran the red light.  He was a gruff ol' tough no-nonsense cop.  I told him I had completely stopped.  He said, "You stopped for the second one,  after you saw me, but you rolled completely through the first one!"

1) I never saw him.  2) I didn't know there were two flashing lights,  I was looking at the crash-fight.  3) I didn't want to stick around the crash-fight  4) Why weren't you at the crash-fight, going Shaft all on them, or directing traffic?

I didn't actually say any of that.

He took my paperwork back to his car.  Then he ran up to my window,  yelled, "Wait here!"  And squealed off with his lights and siren blaring!

With all my paperwork and license.

Now I'm sitting in a very bad part of Detroit....

And the gangstas are starting to give me the stink-eye....

And mulling closer....

And the cops, obviously, had better things to do.

I really considered leaving,  and phoning it in,  but the cop was the skeery kind.  I didn't want to get hit with a stick.  It took him an hour to come back.

It was a $200+ ticket.  But I just paid it.  Because I didn't want to get hit with a stick.

I carried that paid receipt around with me for a couple years,  because I just knew that it was going to come back to haunt me,  in a bad part of Detroit, one day.  It never did.

Wait! There’s a good part of detroit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Please Donate To TBS

    Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.
×
×
  • Create New...