TV

gwalchmai

My wife is real intelligent, and a great person. She does have a few quirks (unlike me...) which I find challenging. One of these is that, like many children of the 60s - 70s, she was raised with the TV on. And she tends to leave the TV on in the background. And she tends to enjoy meaningless TV sitcoms and such. With the advent of Netflix and bingeing this can result in really horrible crap being binge-streamed with no one in the room. I too often walk through the living room and find mindless drivel spilling out into the floor. There's currently some silly goop called "The Good Witch" running on and Mrs. G is nowhere to be found. I just turn it off but I feel like I'm getting my electrons stolen.

Could be worse, though...

• Like 1

There's an ugly-ass satellite dish on my roof. I get 500 something channels. I had a rare night off, and wanted to watch a movie. Didn't have one in mind, just something sci-fi entertaining. Zombies, nukes, something like that. Not only could I not find something appealing in all those channels, I couldn't find ANYTHING at all that sounded worth watching.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, tadbart said:

There's an ugly-ass satellite dish on my roof. I get 500 something channels. I had a rare night off, and wanted to watch a movie. Didn't have one in mind, just something sci-fi entertaining. Zombies, nukes, something like that. Not only could I not find something appealing in all those channels, I couldn't find ANYTHING at all that sounded worth watching.

TRUTH right there....

Only thing I watch is History or Discovery Channel.  I just get on my laptop whenever the Mrs. turns any of that mindless crap on.  Don't get me started...

• Like 1

I have always thought every man should have his own library.  A wall full of interesting things to read and talk about. Books about many topics.  History, philosophy, maps, adventure, the finest of literature.

It would be a haven.   Imagine...pipe smoke gently wafting through the air....the smell of Scotch...and seating for exactly one.

12 Home Libraries With Impeccable Style

• Like 7

15 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

My wife is real intelligent, and a great person. She does have a few quirks (unlike me...) which I find challenging. One of these is that, like many children of the 60s - 70s, she was raised with the TV on. And she tends to leave the TV on in the background. And she tends to enjoy meaningless TV sitcoms and such. With the advent of Netflix and bingeing this can result in really horrible crap being binge-streamed with no one in the room. I too often walk through the living room and find mindless drivel spilling out into the floor. There's currently some silly goop called "The Good Witch" running on and Mrs. G is nowhere to be found. I just turn it off but I feel like I'm getting my electrons stolen.

Could be worse, though...

I have a TV in the kitchen (on the fridge) running most of the time, but always streaming my own content from one of my NAS. And that's exclusively TV shows and movies from the 80s and 90s (with a few, rare exceptions like resent Bond movies).

When I'm reloading or working on certain project, I listen to audiobooks. I have at least 200 on my server.

While I'm at it, listing to this one right now. Must be the 4th or 5th time for me.

If you want to learn something new, here you go lol

As it comes to learning and education, TV is a screaming deal.

While the History Channel can be a little on the light side, it can open doors for further investigation.

I like to cook, and there are a ton of recipes and ideas I’ve picked up from the Food Channel. (Thank you Alton Brown!)

I do enjoy catching a movie or binge watching a series with my wife, when we can find one we agree on.

And those mindless sitcoms on TV do tend to give my thoughts a little break from the hysteria that seems to surround us.

I’m a busy guy with a lot of hobbies.  TV just seems to allow me to refresh my thoughts a little.

Im keeping my flat screen LED TV, thank you.

Edited by jame
  • Like 1

AND LIGHTS! My wife will not turn off lights when she leaves a room. Her father was a power engineer at TVA when she was growing up, so free power, and he failed to properly school her on this important lesson. I try to gently remind her when appropriate, but after the incident I make sure she's not carrying a pointy object when I do so...

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

AND LIGHTS! My wife will not turn off lights when she leaves a room. Her father was a power engineer at TVA when she was growing up, so free power, and he failed to properly school her on this important lesson. I try to gently remind her when appropriate, but after the incident I make sure she's not carrying a pointy object when I do so...

Lights always on is a double or nothing.

In cold weather the energy they use ends up warming their space.

In hot weather that heat increases the burden on air conditioning. 

23 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Wives... Generally have NO SENSE OF HUMOR when you try to "correct" anything they do....Lesson learned...keep mouth shut.....(then shut off the lights, adjust the thermostat, reload the dishwasher...etc)

• Like 1