Jump to content

Facial Recognition Backlash Grows


pipedreams
 Share

Recommended Posts

"IBM, Amazon and Microsoft saw the handwriting on the wall about the biases built into facial recognition systems, as they recently bailed out of the market segment.

When the American Civil Liberties Union ran a test of Amazon.com Inc.’s facial recognition technology, the software falsely matched 28 members of Congress, many of them minorities, with mugshots of arrested people from police files.

Big Tech is also rushing to catch up with the national reckoning over race. While Amazon contests the ACLU study, it recently announced it would stop, at least temporarily, selling its facial recognition technology to police forces. Microsoft Corp. has said the same. International Business Machines Corp. said it’s permanently ending sales of the software. Alphabet Inc.’s Google stopped selling it in 2018."

https://www.technocracy.news/facial-recognition-backlash-grows/

https://www.bloombergquint.com/politics/facial-recognition-backlash-brews-after-fury-over-police-conduct

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

In spite of the subtle and not so subtle pushing by this iPhone and the installed apps, I have refused to activate any “easy” biometric sign-ins. No finger/thumb print no facial recognition no voice recognition. 

What so many don't understand is that they just gave away their most personal information.  Once it's in the phone it's now in the system for the powerful to use.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

The first time I tried to use a "self check-out" at walmart,  I instantly saw the very close-up of my face in the little screen.

I didn't put my credit card in there.

And walked out,  without my crap.

Maybe limited use of masks could be good. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

Although,  I travel through airports every week.

I'm pretty sure the "cloud" knows who I am.

Yup.  You KNOW that. 

I honestly don't mind automated checkout.  There's always an "employee" available...when I need to buy my wife's champaign and prove I'm 21.  AND...I really don't like all that..."did you find everything you wanted" crap.  When on occasion, I say No...they just say..."I'm so sorry".  
Naw...I don't mind self checkout...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was once standing in a long checkout line,  and the girl came over and said, "Why don't you use the self-checkout?"

I said, "Why don't you open more lanes?"

"Why don't you use the self-checkout?"

"Why don't you open more lanes?"

x3

Then she said,  "Here.  I show you how."  And grabbed all the stuff out of my arms, and started walking toward the self-checkout.

I went the other direction, and left.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

The first time I tried to use a "self check-out" at walmart,  I instantly saw the very close-up of my face in the little screen.

I didn't put my credit card in there.

And walked out,  without my crap.

No since in getting in a twist. They film you from car to return to car, as well as most other places. It is in the name of "security" and even if that is exactly it, it is still intrusive.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Yup.  You KNOW that. 

I honestly don't mind automated checkout.  There's always an "employee" available...when I need to buy my wife's champaign and prove I'm 21.  AND...I really don't like all that..."did you find everything you wanted" crap.  When on occasion, I say No...they just say..."I'm so sorry".  
Naw...I don't mind self checkout...

I do! They have my labor, yet no employee discount, no wages for doing their work! Nope, I ALWAYS use the cashier, unless I’m in a real hurry. I will play no part in displacing workers.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

There could be something at walmart I "really" "need".

But, probably not.

And just for the record: If anyone is watching me...God bless America...they have job that sucks beyond all thought.

Suspect left home at 8:00 as his watering hole closes at 9:00 PM.  Owners left him sip one last beer beyond last call.

Obviously i am a radical.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Selfcheckout for me because I am faster than the cashier/baggers, and it means my stuff gets bagged sensibly (all the frozen stuff together, all the stuff going to the basement pantry together, all the stuff going to the kitchen cabinet together, so I don't have to re-bag it at home to take it where it belongs). Also, I'm not there for a conversation, I just want to get in, out, and home as fast as possible.  And as for jobs, there will always be new jobs created that we cannot even imagine now.  No one in 1600 had any conception of assembly line workers, nor IT people, nor anything related to making movies or recording music, nor diesel mechanics, nor the vast majority of gov't employees we currently have... what the heck to they do, anyway?

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Selfcheckout for me because I am faster than the cashier/baggers, and it means my stuff gets bagged sensibly (all the frozen stuff together, all the stuff going to the basement pantry together, all the stuff going to the kitchen cabinet together, so I don't have to re-bag it at home to take it where it belongs). Also, I'm not there for a conversation, I just want to get in, out, and home as fast as possible.  And as for jobs, there will always be new jobs created that we cannot even imagine now.  No one in 1600 had any conception of assembly line workers, nor IT people, nor anything related to making movies or recording music, nor diesel mechanics, nor the vast majority of gov't employees we currently have... what the heck to they do, anyway?

 

With the understanding that I dislike most people, you are one of the sanest folks I've ever interacted with. I'm sure you have your moments, but generally, you seem like you need shot a LOT less than the average bear. :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, NPTim said:

I do! They have my labor, yet no employee discount, no wages for doing their work! Nope, I ALWAYS use the cashier, unless I’m in a real hurry. I will play no part in displacing workers.

I hear ya man.  But I'd just rather not deal with people when possible.  Look at it this way...They did away with the "Gas station attendant" that filled your car, checked your oil air your tires and did your windshields long ago.   Can't do nothin bout that either.  Least they still supply water and a scrubby so I can clean the love bugs off my own window!!!  Gotta pay for the damn AIR though!!!  I remember my Dad sayin..."damnit, I just want gas and be back on the road!!"  Robert Zimmerman was correct..."The times they are a changin"....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, NPTim said:

I do! They have my labor, yet no employee discount, no wages for doing their work! Nope, I ALWAYS use the cashier, unless I’m in a real hurry. I will play no part in displacing workers.

I'm a simple guy.  I always pick the line with the prettiest check out girl.  Just because I hope she smiles at me.  :)

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Please Donate To TBS

    Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.
×
×
  • Create New...