IT Nightmares

Eric

I worked for a huge  telecom, in R&D.  I was "Lab Services".  We had to reconfigure a 1/4 mile long building full of switches, with hardware and software changes, sometimes weekly,  depending on whatever whoever was testing or working on the time.  I've spent many overnights crawling around racks like that. 

70% of that wiring was dead and disconnected.  Rule #1 was to remove all of the last job's wiring, before running the new stuff.

Right?  Right!  Always!

You could be crawling around up there,  digging around while troubleshooting,  and actually cause a wiring avalanche that could entrap you.

• Like 3

• Administrators

I used to host Glock Talk in a data center in this facility, in Dallas.

1370D426-A30B-4C7D-AC80-DB0B8681D35E.thumb.jpeg.0cb29d830a4ee987cb5d0696c6926125.jpeg

It was a gorgeous facility and the server room was like surgical suite, only cleaner and better lighting. 

I once walked into a room of a very big factory, with a 50' rack of computers and our measuring equipment.  I needed someplace to plug in my laptop.  I peeked through a gap in the front, and saw a power strip back there.  I threw the end of my power cord through the gap,  and was going to walk around the back and plug it in.

A six foot power strip.  And I hit the toggle switch with the end of my cord.

Boom.

Instant alarms and whistles and sirens and flashing lights and buzzers.  I bolted around and flipped the switch back on,  hoping it would all just go away.  "C'mon!! BootUpBootUpBootUp!!!"

I shut down some major processes.

Seriously pissing off 200 union workers is a pretty good way to start the day.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I once walked into a room of a very big factory, with a 50' rack of computers and our measuring equipment.  I needed someplace to plug in my laptop.  I peeked through a gap in the front, and saw a power strip back there.  I threw the end of my power cord through the gap,  and was going to walk around the back and plug it in.

A six foot power strip.  And I hit the toggle switch with the end of my cord.

Boom.

Instant alarms and whistles and sirens and flashing lights and buzzers.  I bolted around and flipped the switch back on,  hoping it would all just go away.  "C'mon!! BootUpBootUpBootUp!!!"

I shut down some major processes.

Seriously pissing off 200 union workers is a pretty good way to start the day.

I've seen WAY too many cases of Murphy guiding cords and other missiles into critical switches, contacts, etc. to ever "chance a fart" like that. :supergrin:

5 hours ago, tous said:

That looks like part of   a pre-digital switching station for the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network.)

The basic tip and ring connection.

I had the very same thought based on the color and size of that wire.

My main issue is a lack of understanding by administrative managers who make promises without understanding the basics of the industry.

"How many servers will we replace by moving to Office 365?"
"None. We don't use servers for user data storage."

"Let's delete our Active Directory and recreate it."
"Not a great idea."

"Once it's in the cloud we won't have to worry about managing it."
"Yes, you will, your employees will need new skills to do that.  Unless you want long turn around times."

"Anti-virus?  We don't need enterprise Anti-Virus.  Those machines are virtual."

These are real conversations I have had in the last year.

One of the things i hate is doing putting in clustered servers with 15 NICs on them...bundling and color coding...documenting...making it look pristine. It looks like the center-fold from Rack and Server Magazine.

Only...to have someone else come in and pull a wire and mess things up...leave it looking a mess.

• Like 1

Years ago my dad brought home the old switch gear from the phone system in the building where he worked.

We rebuilt the power supply that was the size of a large shoebox into a regulated variable voltage power supply.

The rest of the box, that was about the size of a dishwasher, was full of circuit boards that were in turn populated with row after row of relays, some resistors and diodes and a few very basic IC's.

I took them all apart and sorted the parts. I made dozens of small basic projects out of them and in the mid 90s I threw the rest away.

Whole mess of wire in the sucker too. I never needed to buy wire for small projects.

• Like 1