well, today could be a little better. version 2.

Cougar_ml

So yeah, another crappy day for me, and it's only half over.

For those that don't know, I fix standby generators.  That means I have to go to where the generator is.

Got a call this morning.  I answered, said hello.  Customer stated his name, then proceeded to angrily tell me to come fix his generator immediately, and threw in some threats and other stuff.  Some profanity also involved.

Not sure what's going on, thinking maybe they had no power and upset about this, I go to his place.  I recognized the name since he's one of my closer customers (about 25 minutes away)

I ring the doorbell, and he answers by flinging open the door, wearing nothing but his underwear (and he's an older, flabby, potbellied guy) yells at me to go fix the generator and slams the door.  Opens and slams it a few more times with variations on the first message.

I back off, pull out my phone.  My intent was to leave him a message explaining that I wouldn't be working on it due to his behavior.

Barely pull it out before he comes charging out at me, tries to grab the phone.  I keep the phone away, but he grabs the back of my collar, tries to drag me around, tries to shove me towards the railing of the walkway, and hits me around the head a few times.

still only wearing his underwear.

I get loose, get to my car, get in and immediately lock it.  He tries grabbing the car door, then grabs my mirror and tries to rip it off forward.  I proceed to back up, and then get out of there.  As I am leaving he is holding his hand towards me with blood dripping from the side of it.  Not sure how he did that; no blood on me but there is on multiple places on the car.

Half mile down the road I call 911.

cops show up, get a statement from me.  One is familiar with the guy's name.

They go to his place.  As I'm sitting there with my uncle (retired cop, I called him after 911) 3 more cop cars drive past.

later an officer comes back to me, and gets an official statement, and gives me a case number.

They didn't haul him off for an involuntary mental eval because he lives alone and was smashing up some of his guitars and stuff.

So yeah, I just got attacked by an angry, drunk, mentally unstable old guy in only a pair of briefs.  How is everyone else's day going?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

oh, and yes, I was armed at the time, and this customer was friendly in the past and we discussed that.  

I don't think I was truly in danger from him, and I never reached for the firearm.

The incident happened pretty quickly, and I was just interested in getting away without getting myself hurt or having to hurt him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cougar_ml said:

They didn't haul him off for an involuntary mental eval because he lives alone and was smashing up some of his guitars and stuff.

Shingles suck. But that's my issue.

Sorry to hear that you had such a piss poor day.

You did well not to beat the tar out of him.   Instead he's got a host of new issues and you're not one.

Not the least of which is his wardrobe issues.

You're a better man than I am.  You can always drop him as a customer.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Historian said:

Shingles suck.  But...sorry to hear that you had such a piss poor day.

You did well not to beat the tar out of him.   Instead he's got a host of new issues and you're not one.

Not the least of which is his wardrobe issues.

You're a better man than I am.

I was in self preservation mode, not fighting mode.  I'm not even really sure if I have a fighting mode, and I never want to have to find out.

Right now just going through post incident stress and recovery.  I already called my customer for tomorrow and explained the situation, so that is rescheduled and I have a few days downtime to deal with it if I need to.

As for the better man part, that's entirely subjective.  I'm not a fighter, and I'd rather get hit a few times over the head by a nearly naked man that have to deal with the aftermath of shooting someone.  Or I might just be a bit of a coward, and chose to run rather than fight.

I just remember as I left and he was holding out his bloody hand that I should call the police before he does so my story is on record immediately and he can't pull anything on me.  Once the cops heard the name they said that wasn't an issue, but I didn't know that at the time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cougar_ml said:

I was in self preservation mode, not fighting mode.  I'm not even really sure if I have a fighting mode, and I never want to have to find out.

Right now just going through post incident stress and recovery.  I already called my customer for tomorrow and explained the situation, so that is rescheduled and I have a few days downtime to deal with it if I need to.

As for the better man part, that's entirely subjective.  I'm not a fighter, and I'd rather get hit a few times over the head by a nearly naked man that have to deal with the aftermath of shooting someone.  Or I might just be a bit of a coward, and chose to run rather than fight.

I just remember as I left and he was holding out his bloody hand that I should call the police before he does so my story is on record immediately and he can't pull anything on me.  Once the cops heard the name they said that wasn't an issue, but I didn't know that at the time.

Well...sometimes its better to walk away from something than it is to fight it out.   That takes control.    Sounds to me like you won.   

You kept your cool and he's likely got a trip to jail.  Everything you do in a situation will be judged...and you did nothing wrong by driving down the road and reporting a pycho to the cops. 

In fact, that's what they would have preferred. 

As for taking the day off after something like that.  That's another smart move.  Take it easy.  Drink some coffee.  Relax. Be happy it didn't turn out worse.

It won't be easy. But try to not let this get to you.  You gotta be you. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

but but but...

There was no blading or any other tacticool crap involved...

:51:

Oh there was plenty of tacticool. 

You owned it. You fought with the deadliest weapon of all.

Your mind! 

If by Kipling.

If you can keep your head when all about you
   Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
   But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
   Or, being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don’t give way to hating,
   And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
   If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
   And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
   Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
   And stoop and build ’em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
   And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
   And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
   To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
   Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on”;

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
   Or walk with kings—nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
   If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run—
   Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Historian said:

Well, yea came to the right place. :)

We wont even bill your insurance.

Mostly because none of us can  bill your insurance.

I'm on VA medical, so I wouldn't get my hopes up about anything billed to them.

Every time I've seen actual cops at an altercation they will ask those involved if they threw a punch.  If they say yes, they get arrested.  Best not to escalate and the cops will be your friends.  Getting in the car and driving away was the smart move.  ?

• Like 2

So I checked the dash cam in my car a little bit ago.

The only thing there is as I am backing up to leave, he is in front of the car.

Considering his physical condition and choice of attire, I'm not going to post any of it here.  Just know that it was not a pleasant sight, and I might suffer more mental trauma from what he looked like than anything else in the incident.

Trust me, you don't want to see.

:ack2:

Edited by Cougar_ml
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Historian said:

Sadly, cops often see stupid, nekid, and ugly all at the same time.

yeah.  My retired cop uncle works the night shift security at the local hospital.  He's seen worse than what I had to, but he's dealt with that quite a bit longer than I have.

And I was right, the image kept popping up in my head last night as I was trying to sleep.

I have the video clip saved just in case the prosecutor does decide to press charges.  All it shows really is a guy in his underwear walking after my car as I'm backing up to exit his driveway, then shortly afterwards I make a 911 call, but I think it will help show that he was coming after me and possibly not in a right state of mind.