Left handed driver

pipedreams

Eric got me to thinking in another thread, mentioning he is a lefty.  I have my g26 in a holster on my right side between the seat and console so I can cross draw with my left.  A left holstered firearm on my person is useless under the seat belt and against the door.  I can easily draw but then I'm up against the door and window, only solution I can think of is using my right hand, any other solutions?

Edited by pipedreams

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Left-handed shooter here.

Yes, "weak hand" shooting is an important skill to learn. But if you have the chance to train and then to practice (and I strongly suggest a force-on-force class that includes vehicles as the bets place to work this out) you may be surprised to learn what you can accomplish with your weapon from its usual place in its usual holster, even while seated and belted in. I actually think we have an advantage over RH shooters, as we do not have the buckle of the seat belt, and the two belts coming into it, over our holster as a RH shooter would.

You can do a lot on your own to figure some of this out using a blue gun and your regular carry set up. But it is an area where training really helps. It will also help to point out if you need to work on flexibility or fitness, which certainly have an impact on this kind of shooting.

I have focused on this because I am not a fan of any sort of off-body carry, such as an under-dash or console holster. I am on the third purchase of the exact same holster I have sued to carry in for maybe the past 15 years (TT Gunleather) and that holster is more or less always in the exact same place with the exact same pistol (G19). I think there's value in that, in that I hope never to have a "where's my gun" moment, when I reach for the holster on my hip, but the gun is in the holster on the dash. If the balloon goes up, I want to have as few things to think about as possible.

As always, YMMV.

• 4 weeks later...

As a lefty myself, I try and just train in my natural carry and environment rather then to 'adapt' to every situation (with considerations of course). Im an average guy both in weight and height and having always carrying a leather owb holster in the 7/8 o'clock position tends not to be an issue for me to pull my firearm should i need too. I can create enough space between the back seat and my back hip to draw. The only real challenge for me is to not get my arm or gun snagged on the waist seat belt and having enough space for my arm to move between my body and the door. I think carrying OWB is why i tend to not have many challenges that some leftys face in particular environments.