Cows can kill

Silentpoet

8 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

I have done it once.  Me and my cousin were fishing in a pond, for some reason the cows took offense and we had to run.

That damned things can build up a head of steam pretty quick, can’t they?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silentpoet said:

If you see me running try to keep up because something big and mean is chasing me.

If you see ME running, please understand that I’m not running to get away from the cow.  

I’m running to get ahead of you.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, jame said:

That damned things can build up a head of steam pretty quick, can’t they?

Seriously.  And as big as they are they can be quiet dangerous.

Funny story:  My wife was doing clinical rotations for her master's a few months ago.  She had this guy walk in who looked like a true cowboy and he wanted to know if his ankle was broken or sprained.

Anyway he explained that a cow was walking by, slipped on another cows placenta, and rolled over on his now sprained foot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Historian said:

Seriously.  And as big as they are they can be quiet dangerous.

Funny story:  My wife was doing clinical rotations for her master's a few months ago.  She had this guy walk in who looked like a true cowboy and he wanted to know if his ankle was broken or sprained.

Anyway he explained that a cow was walking by, slipped on another cows placenta, and rolled over on his now sprained foot.

I think it’s hard for people to understand how powerful and ultimately dangerous those animals, and other “simple” farm animals can be.

Way back when, Dad and I farrowed (help sows birth) a lot of sows.  One evening, I looked over and one had decided to just drop in a barn alley way to start having pigs.  As I walked by her to assess how we were going to get her up and into a farrowing pen, she snarled and grabbed me by the boot, dragging me down with her.  The other sows heard her snap, and about a half dozen of those 435 pound beasts were thundering my way to tear me up.  My Grandpa dropped one with well placed blow with a claw hammer, and Dad managed to get a gate across the alley way to stop the rest of them.

I ended up wriggling out of the boot she had clamped in her teeth, and scrambled out of there.

We finished up with chores and called it a day.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jame said:

I think it’s hard for people to understand how powerful and ultimately dangerous those animals, and other “simple” farm animals can be.

Way back when, Dad and I farrowed (help sows birth) a lot of sows.  One evening, I looked over and one had decided to just drop in a barn alley way to start having pigs.  As I walked by her to assess how we were going to get her up and into a farrowing pen, she snarled and grabbed me by the boot, dragging me down with her.  The other sows heard her snap, and about a half dozen of those 435 pound beasts were thundering my way to tear me up.  My Grandpa dropped one with well placed blow with a claw hammer, and Dad managed to get a gate across the alley way to stop the rest of them.

I ended up wriggling out of the boot she had clamped in her teeth, and scrambled out of there.

A lot of friends hunt pigs. Many don't respect them properly. Pigs are considered dangerous game, and rightfully so. Outrunning one is not going to happen for long, and they will take you out with malice. Even armed they are a formidable critter.

Fast, smart, solid built and a fury that not many of natures critters possess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

image.png.0f9589c9e375a2d4c6f6bd775609bccc.png.90519d237c7a7a1badd06ffc280055cf.png

589190766_download(62).jpg.cc07df9736901131e71ae03540bf132d.jpg

I saw the events leading to this one (video). Some city lady wanted a selfie. It nearly cost her her life. Fortunately she escaped life threatening injuries thanks to some very brave/stupid bystanders. They got away with helping her. American Bison are fast, athletic, tireless, and BIG.

U4Tvjfv.jpg

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

A lot of friends hunt pigs. Many don't respect them properly. Pigs are considered dangerous game, and rightfully so. Outrunning one is not going to happen for long, and they will take you out with malice. Even armed they are a formidable critter.

Fast, smart, solid built and a fury that not many of natures critters possess.

That's a good way to get hurt.  Wild hogs in the South can be down right dangerous.   They can take a lot of damage and turn you fast.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jame said:

You almost ended up a tragic news story!  

Most people who've never been around large animals don't realize that while cows are usually fairly docile...when they get upset over something they are big!  And they can move fairly fast and tend to move in groups 

Pigs can be down right terrifying in their fierceness.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Wild hogs like a pack of coyotes or wovles will attack from all sides and wear down much larger game or take on a human. 

If one has a pen full of hogs, one does not have to shovel to get rid of bodies. Or so I have read. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Historian said:

That's a good way to get hurt.  Wild hogs in the South can be down right dangerous.   They can take a lot of damage and turn you fast.  

Yes. We hunt them a lot, but not expecting things to happen one day while working a lease, we heard a ruckus and walked down to see what all the hub bub was about.

Turned out to be 3 juvenile pigs sparring. We watched from a distance and were  enjoying the show, until mom showed up. She took offense to us being in the area and charged. All 320 pounds of her (weighed). It took 12 40 cal hard cast and 15 9MM HC to put her down. All pretty good hits. All would have sufficed if the matter weren't so pressing.

She was not wasted and we came to the conclusion to never be on that property again without a rifle in hand.

• Like 3