Ballistic...

Eric

• Administrators

Or, how stupid is eBay? I have a ballistic face mask that a sponsor gave to me years ago, when I still owned Glock Talk. The face mask has sat in a drawer for years. I just came across it and decided to see if it was worth anything. Turns out that it has a bit of value, so I listed it on eBay. 

I did a search for ‘Ballistic Face Mask’. I got 89 results. I found the one that most closely resembled the one I have and clicked on the link in eBay listings that lets you sell a similar item. About n hour after I listed it, I get an email warning that I had violated eBay policy and my listing had been removed. The explanation was that I couldn’t list explosive items or ordnance. 

I called eBay today. I spent 10 minutes trying to explain to the first guy that ‘ballistic’ did not mean explosive. That people did not in fact wear explosive face masks, in case they got shot in the head. It was a struggle, but we got past that. Then he decided that it must have been removed because it was a military item. It’s really not. Then he punted me up the food change to an East Indian lady named Heidi and we started the dance all over again.

She maintained that it must not be allowed, for some nebulous reason, if it got removed. I told her that eighty-nine other people had listings running for exact and similar items. She told me that I could rest assured that they were watching them. Watching them do what? Sell face masks? The face mask is very obviously not a forbidden object, but they would not back off of their action.

How do these asshats stay in business? I wish that there was a viable alternative to them. 

So, anyone want to buy a ballistic face mask? :biggrin:

IMG_8217.thumb.JPG.0f8b54e7ddb550da434dc78f84399620.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I’m finishing up my last listings on eBay. Starting at the end of the month they no longer allow payment thru PayPal (I know, I know ?) but require sellers to link their bank accounts to eBay to accept payment. I’m definitely NOT going to do that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Label it an official Antifa anonymizing riot  mask for peaceful demonstrations.

Can also be used as a weapon against fascist police trying to stop the wearer from the burning a Wendy's.

Edited by tous
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

A few years ago, my doc prescribed a tens unit for me, before I finally went under the knife for back surgery.  I hated the damned thing.

I found out that it had a reasonable amount of value and decided to sell it.  I found identical items on eBay, priced it accordingly, and parked it in the medical supplies category.  eBay promptly deleted my listing.  

When I asked why it had been deleted, I was told that without a medical license, I couldn’t list medical equipment.  When I explained that there were identical items already listed, they told me that they were aware of them, but they were listed under Home & Garden/Personal health and fitness, so they were ok.

My Dad likes those tens therapy’s, so I just gave it to him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crockett said:

****ing woke beta male society we live in.

Paint it off white, take a drill to it, add a bullet hole with a caliber of your liking, and sell it as the original Jason prop mask.

jason_thumb.jpg

And matching Crocs.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Eric said:

I called eBay today. I spent 10 minutes trying to explain to the first guy that ‘ballistic’ did not mean explosive. That people did not in fact wear explosive face masks, in case they got shot in the head. It was a struggle, but we got past that. Then he decided that it must have been removed because it was a military item. It’s really not. Then he punted me up the food change to an East Indian lady named Heidi and we started the dance all over again.

She maintained that it must not be allowed, for some nebulous reason, if it got removed. I told her that eighty-nine other people had listings running for exact and similar items. She told me that I could rest assured that they were watching them.

"It was removed because it is not allowed. Its removal proves that it's not allowed."

Such is a corporate structure which so fears self-initiative that it values rules over common sense. I run into this kind of thing all the time, particularly when interacting with customer service reps. It's God's revenge on us for our iniquities. 

• Like 2

My Amazon account got hacked a couple years ago.  My password didn't work. It had been changed (they confirmed it).

After a dozen help-desk calls (someone different every time.  all named Bob),  I got bumped up to the 'fraud' department.  I called them many times. I couldn't answer when I joined (year and month) (15 years ago?),  what my last ten orders were (I had shipping dates and confirmation numbers from emails,  but not the actual items), and whatever other questions they asked.

I finally gave up and asked them to delete my account,  which they couldn't do without my password.  I asked to at least delete my credit card,  which they couldn't do.  I gave up.

After two months of trying,  I finally decided to just jump ship and cancel my c. card (I had been watching it like a hawk).  I decided to call them one more time. This time,  I skipped asking for the fraud dept,  and just talked to Bob.  I very briefly explained the deal,  and he instantly said, "OK. Yeah. I can reset that."

Bing.  Done.

(They never ordered anything or used my c card.  I later found that someone, with a sellers account, (likely someone I ordered from),  had added my email to his account and then forwarded all those amazon emails to a different email.  And used that setup to confirm a forgotten-password change, with his phone as a duo. (I got the phone number,  and googled an address,  but amazon didn't care.  The phone was probably hacked also.)

But when he eventually started deleting emails,  they showed up in my trash folder and I got all the details and timeline.  Amazon didn't care.)