Old guys and hearing

DAKA

It seems that it's mostly the old GUYS that have hearing loss, not so much the women...

It's getting worse by the month, really pisses off MrsDAKA, but I would think that by now she would know that I CAN'T HEAR HER when she talks into the kitchen cabinets or from the next room

How many guys have this "problem"....(yeah sometimes I do "tune out" )

Oy Veh....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Most definitely ME.  Was shootin last week and forgot to put my headphones on for the first shot, and it hardly even bothered me.  The wife knows she needs to be lookin at me if she wants me to understand her.  I've got hearing aids and they are Complete Life Savers for me, honest to god.  The Best ones I've found, and I've been wearing hearing aids for 20 years, are from Costco.  Right at $1600 for both and incredible warranty.  Even if you're not a member of Costco...It's worth Joining to get them!!

• Like 2

Not a guy, but I might have spent a little too much time on the range (that's not really possible, I know) or shot a couple too many possums and coons inside the chicken/duck coops without ear protection on (with 20 gauge and/or the 9mm because whatever is closest is what's going to get grabbed).  Or maybe a deer without remembering to push the plugs back in my ear because DEER!!! is so exciting.  Anyway, the tinnitus has been worse this past month than ever before - as in, sometimes I can't hear my kids talking over the ringing. And silence is... LOUD.   SO ANNOYING.  Having said that, the last hearing test I had (Jan 2020) came back "normal."  (That the pitch test, and the one where they play conversations with background noise and you have to tell them what was said.)

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Not a guy, but I might have spent a little too much time on the range (that's not really possible, I know) or shot a couple too many possums and coons inside the chicken/duck coops without ear protection on (with 20 gauge and/or the 9mm because whatever is closest is what's going to get grabbed).  Or maybe a deer without remembering to push the plugs back in my ear because DEER!!! is so exciting.  Anyway, the tinnitus has been worse this past month than ever before - as in, sometimes I can't hear my kids talking over the ringing. And silence is... LOUD.   SO ANNOYING.  Having said that, the last hearing test I had (Jan 2020) came back "normal."  (That the pitch test, and the one where they play conversations with background noise and you have to tell them what was said.)

I absolutely hate restaurants.  Especially the Background music playin. I could hardly hear a thing before hearing aids.   My hearing aids have like 5 different settings to where I can tune out most background noise and even "Focus" my hearing in different directions.  AND Mrs. C,  believe it or not, the hearing aids even cancel out the Tinnitus!!!  Sorta like Noise canceling headphones!!  

• Like 4

I'm 45.  Just middle age.   I've always worn ear plugs while at work, or shooting, or riding my motorcycle, or whenever exposed to noise.  Once your hearing goes, that's it.  It don't come back.  I can hear a can of pop fizzing across a quiet room.  But if there is background noise I have trouble hearing.  If I'm in a restaurant I won't be able to hear conversation well enough to understand.

Edited by Sparks
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sparks said:

I'm 45.  Just middle age.   I've always worn ear plugs while at work, or shooting, or riding my motorcycle, or whenever exposed to noise.  Once your hearing goes, that's it.  It don't come back.  I can hear a can of pop fizzing across a quiet room.  But if there is background noise I have trouble hearing.  If I'm in a restaurant I won't be able to hear conversation well enough to understand.

ADHD

• Like 1

13 hours ago, railfancwb said:

When masking became a requirement for order takers at restaurants it really brought home to me how much of my “hearing” was really lip/face reading. 

My mother jus went through this.   She hated giving back the test set.

Her new ones will be back next week and none of us can wait!

They truly changes things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2021 at 8:27 AM, DAKA said:

It seems that it's mostly the old GUYS that have hearing loss, not so much the women...

It's getting worse by the month, really pisses off MrsDAKA, but I would think that by now she would know that I CAN'T HEAR HER when she talks into the kitchen cabinets or from the next room

How many guys have this "problem"....(yeah sometimes I do "tune out" )

Oy Veh....

My hearing started to go to hell as a youngster.  Ear infections all the time.  Most nights spent screaming.

Then, I started to get into shooting all summer long with all my school friends.  Have no idea how many rounds went into the fields, but gradually I got worse.

When I got my ham license in grade school, I started wearing ear phones (wrongly) and trying to squeeze faint signals from loud white noise, I spend years killing my hearing some more.

I graduated from high school and applied for the Navy.  Since I applied for a critical rate, Radioman, they wanted me desperately.

They called me for hearing exams three different times during the Summer, till they decided they needed Radiomen more than my disability was worth.

Now, I spent more years on earphones till I got out.  When I got out I inherited my father's 1911 and shot it a lot! 

I have a hearing aide, but the loss in one ear is so great they couldn't help me with that one.  The hearing aide is of marginal use, but helps when women talk with me.  I did determine that having equal hearing in both ears was more important than to have "normal" level hearing in both ears,

When you have trouble hearing, but both ears are the same but poor, you can determine the direction of the sound and it helps to ignore the noise immensely.

Recently, my dog of 19 years was dying and I held him in my arms.  He let out the loudest howl just as he died.  I'd give up the rest of my hearing just to have that dog back with me.  

My ear on that side hurt like someone stuck an icepick in it.  I suddenly lost what was left in that ear.

Now I have to have my wife as hearing back up, and especially with the masks and plastic shields.  I can't lip read with the masks and can't hear through the plastic shields.

I sent a letter to the corporate HQ of CVS when the Pharmacist told me to get behind the plastic and talked to me from half the room away.  Then he told me I would have to leave if I didn't keep bugging him.

I complained the corp. that they had finally made the Pharmacist unnecessary, since he couldn't talk to me about my medications, and he offered me no last check on my prescriptions.  I said they might as well dispense medicine from a machine to customers hard of hearing.  That particular Pharmacist is now missing.

It helps that the only real friend I now have is my wife.  She tolerates me and speaks for me when necessary.

I am amazed that she will keep repeating something to me until I understand it.  She has the patience of a Saint.

I don't know how I would get along without her, as bad as my hearing is.  She is the love of my life and a Godsend to me.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ain't just you geezers. Mid-40s here, and the ears are shot. They ring all the time, and like other said, hearing in noisy environments is a challenge.

My first ambulance had a roof-mounted siren, opposed to the front-mounted ones these days. Add too much shooting without ear protection...

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Have ya ever tried hearing aids man?  I hear ya on your dog sir...don't even get me started...

As I mentioned in my post, I have one  hearing aide.  The hearing in the other ear is beyond being able to use a hearing aide.  So one is all I can use and it's of marginal help because of the magnitude of my loss.

I have been an Electrical Engineer in Research for all my life and am very familiar with audio analysis and hardware design.  So I understand the magnitude of my loss. 

I am getting close to being deaf now.  But, I have my family and best of all, a loving wife and a new dog that is my wonderful girl of 14 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Ironically, one of the few things i have going for me, is excellent hearing.

One of the guys claims I have "bat hearing."

Hey!  We have half your ability in common.  Sometimes my wife says I remind her of Bat s.....  Oh, never mind.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, tadbart said:

Ain't just you geezers. Mid-40s here, and the ears are shot. They ring all the time, and like other said, hearing in noisy environments is a challenge.

My first ambulance had a roof-mounted siren, opposed to the front-mounted ones these days. Add too much shooting without ear protection...

Like I said...If you're a member of Costco...they got the Best prices on hearing aids, and the best hearing aids.  If ya don't...buy a Costco membership just for that.  Ya just need to look into it man.  It's like when ya just can't ****** see anymore...Ya get Glasses...

• Like 3

Started shooting at the age of about 10-nobody wore hearing protection then-couple of years riding/driving the ambulance-followed by 30+ years of motorcycle riding.

My hearing is not good.

I notice sometimes my Mrs. mumbles then gets upset when I don't respond.  Its a no win-admit that you can't hear her, or you aren't paying attention.  Its all the same to the distaff side.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/20/2021 at 6:54 AM, railfancwb said:

When masking became a requirement for order takers at restaurants it really brought home to me how much of my “hearing” was really lip/face reading. 

+ 1000!!

I have worn hearing aids for more than a half century, so I have a huge head start on my peers, and sadly my hearing is getting worse each year as well. 

The most revealing hearing test I ever took used the same audio, but sometimes there was video of the person speaking the word, other times just the audio.   My comprehension without seeing the speakers face was a fraction of that when I could see the face.  I knew this was the case but to see the results of a quantified test was a shock.  

It is challenging enough to understand people when they project their voices, enunciate and speak clearly, but it is virtually impossible for me to understand there huge percentage of the population who do the opposite of these things and wear a mask.  More than once I was a eyelash hair away from throwing up my hands and walking away. 

• Thanks 3