NHL Playoffs!

Huaco Kid

I've watched, maybe, one regular season game this year. 

I think they wired it up,  because it was a short season and they played mostly in-divison games.  A lot of back-to-back two and three game runs (like baseball),  which they never used to do, because, well,  they'll kill each other with grudges.

Every playoff game I've watched so far has started with a bang and has been very gritty.  Like, maybe, they're trying to kill each other.  huh.

I'm enjoying it.

• Like 1

I am as well.

Referees are calling a lot of embellishment penalties so far; almost unheard of in the regular season.

Game on, eh!

How stupid is it that the players, except the back-up goalie, don't wear masks, but the coaches and staff do.

At least we don't have the Black Lives Matter signs posted all around the arena.

1 minute ago, ChuteTheMall said:

Can lightning strike twice?

I  don't see it.

Colorado or Las Vegas will be in the finals for the west, Washington, Pittsburgh or Toronto in the east.

Tampa Bay is all Vasilevsky.

I hate Boston.

Though, I have no qualms with the Bruins at all.

I've seen enough of their fans, at different venues, even in different states, to know that a larger group of assholes doesn't exist.

Anything that makes them whine is funny.

Boston in playing well, as are Colorado, Las Vegas, Winnipeg and Tampa Bay.

I haven't seen Montreal and Toronto yet.

Unlike you, I hate the Bruins and have since 1970.  :biggrin:

Expect Minnesota and Florida to begin their golf summers tonight.

Update:  Florida has one more game to play.  They played well tonight.

Good for the young rookie in goal.

Minnesota survives for one more.

They had better lose soon.  Matt Dumba, the Colin Kaepernikc of the NHL, has cities in the US to burn down with his BLM buddies.

Yeah, he's Canadian and makes $6 million per year, but he's oppressed by the white establishment and systemic racism.  :shakehead:

Edmonton is playing golf.  The much bally-hooed Draisaitl and McDavid fail to hoo the bally this year.

Edited by tous

I grew up with the Penguins,  but they were pylons for 15 years.  The whole team was skinny, chain smoking, toothless 40 year olds.

I still have a soft spot for the original 6.  Detroit has been my team, since before the pens even existed.  And Orr was da Man!

You can still buy Whaler sweaters in Connecticut.

• Like 1

Because my parents and all of their families lived in Da UP, I was a Red Wing fan until the expansion, then a Blues guy.

We used to watch the Red Wings play on Hockey Night in Canada; most TV stations in Marquette were Canadian, not American and everybody had a 50-foot antenna.

I spent many an evening in the old St. Louis Arena barn.  When I was in Columbia at college, I sometimes drove home for a weekend game and drove back.

The days of wooden sticks and iron men, eh?

16 minutes ago, tous said:

The days of wooden sticks and iron men, eh?

I played in "The Igloo" a bunch of times.

(When you sit in the second or third level, looking down,  the ice doesn't look that big.  The players look small.  The arena feels claustrophobic.

When you step out onto that ice,  it goes on forever.  The arena looks colossal.  The sound is deafening.  You feel small.)

When aluminum sticks started coming around,  we'd hit those guys twice as hard.

• Like 1

We defensemen were both checkers and checkees, especially in our own zone when the rushing forward dumped the puck behind the net or off the back boards.

This was the era when goalies did not normally play the puck.

We had a thing called the Lookout Pass.

Rushing forward shoots the puck in and I skate  back and either play it up to a forward, pass it to my defense partner or eat it on the boards.

If  I eat it, I am going to be squished, so I'm looking to pass.

On occasion, when I passed up the wing to my forward and the opposing forward was coming full speed down the same wing, I yelled, "Look out!" just as my guy gets creamed and put on his ass.

Needless to say, discussions ensued on the bench and I simply plead innocent.

Forwards should learn at an early age to treat their defensemen like the gods they are.

:biggrin:

Edited by tous