University of California System Will No Longer Consider SAT and ACT Scores for Admissions

pipedreams

"The nine campuses of the University of California system will no longer consider standardized testing scores as part of the admission process beginning in the fall of 2021.

The change is the result of a legal settlement (pdf) of a lawsuit brought by groups that claimed that the traditional SAT and ACT tests are racist.

Under the settlement, the university, which enrolls some 225,000 undergraduate students, said it won’t consider SAT or ACT scores sent along with admissions applications until 2025. The university further stated that it had no current plan to consider the scores after 2025."

https://www.theepochtimes.com/university-of-california-system-will-no-longer-consider-sat-and-act-scores-for-admissions_3817180.html

As part of the settlement, the University of California system will pay $1.25 million in attorney fees to the lawyers who represented the plaintiffs.

• Sad 1

All this means is that a large percentage of each incoming class of freshman will quickly funk out because they are either not prepared academically or simply are not smart enough to do the work. It will be a giant waste of time, resources, and money.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

All this means is that a large percentage of each incoming class of freshman will quickly funk out because they are either not prepared academically or simply are not smart enough to do the work. It will be a giant waste of time, resources, and money.

How do you flunk out of Gender/Wimmens/Negro/Meskin/Whatever Studies? Unless you say something good about Trump, of course.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

It's ok. The world needs losers and punching bags. I don't know about you, but when I order my coffee and food, I want it right damn now. A shortage of these people would be catastrophic.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

That is a money maker for many universities.  Student shows up with decent grades and a good SAT score...and are gone within three semesters.   But they have three semesters of tuition. 

My local university has been trying very hard to make it into the very top level of public schools and they are.

About five percent of the incoming class will not finish at this university.   I figure that's about 8,000 students a year.  About twelve percent will not finish a four year degree within six years This doesn't mean the won't eventually graduate. It does mean life has complications.

I did find this interesting. The average student debt is about $15,815 in tuition.  Median loan payment is about $163.

Not a bad deal at all.  

• Like 3

It's not like this opens the floodgates and requires a dart board to select new students.  But, it will be interesting to see how they modify their requirements over the next four years.

SAT/ACT test scores

Currently, UC will not consider SAT or ACT test scores when making admissions decisions or awarding Regents and Chancellor’s scholarships. If you choose to submit test scores as part of your application, they may be used for course placement after you enroll.

We don't require SAT Subject Tests, but you can use subject tests to satisfy the A-G requirements listed above.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/freshman-requirements/

1.  Complete 15 A-G courses (11 of them by end of junior year)

You need to complete a minimum of 15 college-preparatory courses (A-G courses) with a letter grade of C or better. For courses completed during the 2020 winter, spring or summer terms, UC will also accept a grade of pass/credit. You must complete at least 11 of these courses prior to the beginning of your last year of high school.

The 15 courses are:

a. History

2 years

b. English

4 years

c. Mathematics

3 years

d. Science

2 years

e. Language other than English
*or equivalent to the 2nd level of high school instruction

2 years*

f. Visual and performing arts

1 year

g. College-preparatory elective
(chosen from the subjects listed above or another course approved by the university)

• Like 1

I think the dumping of the SAT test scores has something to do with at college admissions scandal a few years ago.

It turns out that big money can buy some pretty impressive test scores if you’re apply to the right college.  You just need to find a prestigious one that will take your “contribution”.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fog said:

The answer is to get the government out of funding schools.

That won't happen.

The universities, both state and private, have transferred billions in wealth from the gullible population to  their pockets, and it will soon be every taxpayer, gullible or not, contributing to the Marxist indoctrination camps.

The classic Soviet recipe of the elite in luxury, the rest in poverty.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Historian said:

Not likely, as much as I would like it.

The government is dependent on mining the universities for talent and ideas.

And the American universities are just an adjunct to the communist Chinese effort to give the enemy all the knowledge they need to defeat you.

"Office!  Officer!  That feller is stealing my patents and copyrights and he and his friends are the only ones that can get into college!!   Stop him!"

"Sorry, but that feller has paid me a lot of money to look the other way so -- I don't see anything."

:miff:

Do those professors and administrators forget that the so-called intelligentsia are the first to be murdered come the revolution?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jame said:

I think the dumping of the SAT test scores has something to do with at college admissions scandal a few years ago.

It turns out that big money can buy some pretty impressive test scores if you’re apply to the right college.  You just need to find a prestigious one that will take your “contribution”.

I would like to agree with you, but.  Although what you stated is also a factor, In the public dialog I see on this subject, certain minorities are claiming that because of "racism" they do not score as high as people that study and take education seriously. 

Success follows education.  It is not the result of "going to school".

As a result, they say that they are "denied" their "right" to attend college. 

"Racism" is the cry of those who claim to be "entitled".  It is what's worked in the past.  It's always someone else's fault.  Some see "privilege" as a right.

Work and effort in any of it's many manifestations, leads to equality.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2