Judge rules gun maker not liable for individual's criminal act

pipedreams

4 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Yes, lately it seems rare for a judge to apply a law as written rather than rewriting it. 

I was thinking about it because many other industries have been sued and it dawned on me.

The pistol works as intended.   It's what the person holding it does with it that matters.

You can sue a car maker (Ford) for making a faulty and dangerous car.

But in this case:  The pistol functioned as a pistol.  With sad results.  But that wasn't the fault of the gun's design.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

But you can’t sue Ford if a bad person used the car as a murder weapon. 

Pretty much my point.

You can't sue a manufacturer of a lawful product if it's used wrogly.

I like Scotch.  If i drank 40 gallons a month my liver would depart my body, scurry across the floor and explode.

Not Scotland's fault.  Totally mine.

• Thanks 1

The Glock had no magazine safety, unlike some other brands. 

A careless beginner can remove the loaded magazine, and incorrectly assume that the apparently unloaded gun can not fire.

I have relatives who have Ruger EC9s pistols with magazine safeties, while I have a nearly identical LC9s Pro without that "feature."

I hope they don't grow complacent with merely dropping a mag to unload their guns, and then mishandle mine or one of my Glocks.

No safety gadget is a substitute for proper and safe gun handling, including keeping it out of unauthorized hands.

But you already knew this.

• Like 2

58q7hd.jpg

The 380 EZ does not have a magazine disconnect, but the 22 compact does. 

So a beginner learning on the .22 first might become dependent upon the magazine disconnect, and then have a negligent discharge when moving up to the .380 which does not have it. Life is so much simpler with Glocks which always go boom if there is a round in the chamber.

11 minutes ago, ChuteTheMall said:

58q7hd.jpg

The 380 EZ does not have a magazine disconnect, but the 22 compact does. 

So a beginner learning on the .22 first might become dependent upon the magazine disconnect, and then have a negligent discharge when moving up to the .380 which does not have it. Life is so much simpler with Glocks which always go boom if there is a round in the chamber.

I think I read that [Some] Browning Hi Powers have magazine safeties which make for a horrible trigger pull, but if you have it removed that may be used against you should you shoot someone in self defense with that gun. 

29 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

On the other hand I have read about LEO who, in a struggle for their personal sidearm, pressed the magazine release button which released the magazine enough that the magazine safety kept the bad guy from shooting the officer. 

There is good and bad with disconnects.  I won't carry a duty weapon with one.  But for someone who has little experience i makes sense.

Almost every time where i have read a news story where some kid accidently killed his friend....the magazine was free and one was in the chamber.

The real problem is ignorance. 

• Like 1

Just now, railfancwb said:

Every time something is improved to make it foolproof a better fool comes along. 

Just for the record I'm drinking a Scotch.

If my liver blows out...you know what happened.

Fools know no limits.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

The Glock had no magazine safety, unlike some other brands. 

A careless beginner can remove the loaded magazine, and incorrectly assume that the apparently unloaded gun can not fire.

I have relatives who have Ruger EC9s pistols with magazine safeties, while I have a nearly identical LC9s Pro without that "feature."

I hope they don't grow complacent with merely dropping a mag to unload their guns, and then mishandle mine or one of my Glocks.

No safety gadget is a substitute for proper and safe gun handling, including keeping it out of unauthorized hands.

But you already knew this.

I prefer the Glock's no safety system.  So much so, that I carried an FN 5.7 with safety off for 2 or 3 years without mishap.

I am very careful of how I handle my pistols.  each and every one.

I don't take them out to show people.  I don't tell people I am carrying.  I lay the pistol on top of a spare roll of toilet paper in the bathroom so when I reach for it I can wrap my hand around the grip without "grasping" for it.

I have a constant knowledge of it and don't return it to my holster without making sure every thing is clear.  I don't ever touch the trigger except when I intend to shoot.

I'm not perfect, but I am constantly aware of my pistol and the knowledge that it can kill, me or someone else.  I am a bit compulsive and obsessive.  Traits that are helpful when carrying a gun.

As with many of you, I have never had a bad experience with my pistol, and I never take it for granted.

I have dropped my pistol and watched it fall.  Having a lifetime in electronics, I quickly learned that when you drop a soldering iron, you NEVER try to catch it! I caught one "once".  Same with a pistol.

I also prefer large frame guns.  I like them for ease of point shooting, but the side benefit is that they are cumbersome and not easy to point at yourself.  I presently am carrying a G41

Many will laugh at me and say that my time is coming.  But for my lifetime, I have been aware and careful.  I'm almost done now, and don't believe I will change my attitude about gun safety.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 4