Superstitions

Eric

• Administrators

I just heard that it is bad luck to wear new shoes to a funeral. I thought I had heard all superstitions floating around out there. When I checked the accuracy of the one above, I also read that it is bad luck for a pregnant woman to attend a memorial service.

Let’s have a superstitions thread, unless it is bad luck, or something. So, let’s hear them.

• It’s bad luck to wear a dead man’s shoes. 
  • Three on a match. There was at least a practical basis for this one.
  • There is more than one superstition surrounding salt. Considering it’s importance to us biologically, that is understandable.
  • One of my personal favorites is the Dead Man’s hand, in poker. 2 pair of black aces & eights. I’ve heard more than one theory about this one, but the one stating that it was the cards Hickok was holding when he was murdered seems credible.

Whatcha got?

• Like 2

My grandmother said that if a pregnant woman stared at an animal, the baby would be marked to look like the animal. She gave my wife no end of grief over that.

"Stop staring at that cow! You'll mark that baby!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MO Fugga said:

The religion of fools. I never understood this. This one jagoff I know refuses to walk under a ladder. Deal breaker, you're fired.

People standing on a ladder working sometimes drop tools or supplies. Dropped items almost always land where the path under the ladder would pass. Slim but not zero chance of being hit by dropped item while walking under the ladder. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aomagrat said:

My grandmother said that if a pregnant woman stared at an animal, the baby would be marked to look like the animal. She gave my wife no end of grief over that.

"Stop staring at that cow! You'll mark that baby!"

Your kid a minotaur?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, railfancwb said:

People standing on a ladder working sometimes drop tools or supplies. Dropped items almost always land where the path under the ladder would pass. Slim but not zero chance of being hit by dropped item while walking under the ladder. 

True, but the navy won't let you in if you can't swim these days. That one's crazy. Sailors refusing to learn to swim in order to not tempt fate.

• Haha 1

My wife sent me out with my daughter to buy her some new shoes for some occasion that I cant remember at this time.

We went to a shoe store and picked out a pretty pair of white shoes that my daughter seemed to like and then called to wife to tell her what we picked out. She, without hesitation told us "No! You never wear white after Labor Day!"

I went to checkout and paid for the white shoes.

If she would have just said that she would prefer black, or blue or whatever, I would have put them back, but I don't do superstitions or stupid traditional fashion crap, so white it was.

• Like 1

When I was a kid I heard you're not supposed to tell a bad dream before breakfast or it will come true. In my teenage years I had a dream involving Demi Moore. I was telling everyone I came across and I didn't eat breakfast for a week.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, jmohme said:

My wife sent me out with my daughter to buy her some new shoes for some occasion that I cant remember at this time.

We went to a shoe store and picked out a pretty pair of white shoes that my daughter seemed to like and then called to wife to tell her what we picked out. She, without hesitation told us "No! You never wear white after Labor Day!"

If she would have just said that she would prefer black, or blue or whatever, I would have put them back, but I don't do superstitions or stupid traditional fashion crap, so white it was.

That one is a fashion thing, not a superstition.  Used to be no white shoes before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.  Then it became ok to wear white shoes before Memorial Day as long as it was Easter, or later.  Now I don't think anyone cares.  I sure don't.  I don't think I even own a pair of white shoes, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Friday. October 13, 1307 was a bad day.

For the Templars, that end began in the early morning hours of Friday, October 13, 1307.

A month earlier, secret documents had been sent by couriers throughout France. The papers included lurid details and whispers of black magic and scandalous sexual rituals. They were sent by King Philip IV of France, an avaricious monarch who in the preceding years had launched attacks on the Lombards (a powerful banking group) and France’s Jews (who he had expelled so he could confiscate their property for his depleted coffers).

In the days and weeks that followed that fateful Friday, more than 600 Templars were arrested, including Grand Master Jacques de Molay, and the Order’s treasurer. But while some of the highest-ranking members were caught up in Philip’s net, so too were hundreds of non-warriors; middle-aged men who managed the day-to-day banking and farming activities that kept the organization humming. The men were charged with a wide array of offenses including heresy, devil worship and spitting on the cross, homosexuality, fraud and financial corruption.

https://www.history.com/news/why-friday-the-13th-spelled-doom-for-the-knights-templar

What about ......

Friday-13-October-1313-t0974fae45d5b0bc1

https://www.dayoftheweek.org/?m=October&d=13&y=1313&go=Go

Edited by minervadoe
just being a nerd
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jmohme said:

Brave soul you are...

• Haha 1

If you break the glass on a photo and the crack passes over the face of someone in the picture, they will be the next to die out of everyone in the photo. 

The head of the household must step out of the house just before the strike of midnight on New Years Eve and enter just after midnight with a coin in his hand. This brings money in the new year. Failure to do so brings economic problems in the new year. 

There must be no uncovered free standing water in the house at midnight on New Years Eve. No leaks, drips in sinks, toilets lids must be down, no glasses of water, fish tanks must be covered, pet water must be emptied. Soda, juice, beer etc. were OK.  Just no pure water. It would invite mischievous spirits in to stay the next year.

Ivy growing outside was ok but bringing it inside will cause a death within the year. 

Walking over a grave will bring the spirit of the person back to haunt you. A pregnant woman walking over a grave in a dress will have a miscarriage. 

These were just a few of my moms superstitions. I’m not even to seances, Ouija Boards or summing Demons yet.  It was a twisted childhood. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I’m not even to seances, Ouija Boards or summing Demons yet.  It was a twisted childhood. 

I do NOT deal with Ouija Boards, seances, etc.

The book The Exorcist scared me into a bathroom with a Bible and a crucifix .  We all know that's the safest room in the house...and i was going to finish the book.

For many years after reading that book...i seriously considered becoming a priest.

When the priest threw himself from the window and damned his soul to hell to save the girl in the movie...I was done.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

I do NOT deal with Ouija Boards, seances, etc.

The book The Exorcist scared me into a bathroom with a Bible and a crucifix .  We all know that's the safest room in the house...and i was going to finish the book.

For many years after reading that book...i seriously considered becoming a priest.

When the priest threw himself from the window and damned his soul to hell to save the girl in the movie...I was done.

So, then you probably should stay away from the "Penny Dreadful"  mini series.  I think that was the darkest show that was ever able to keep my attention.  Eva Green went from a 10 to a -1 as her possession wore on. 

30 Creepy Superstitions You Don’t Even Realize You’ve Been Practicing 

• The fear of black cats comes from the 13th century when Pope Gregory announced to Europe that black cats were witches’ consorts with the devil. This led to mass cat genocide wherein not only black ones were being murdered in masses.
  • Covering your mouth when you yawn. It was originally thought the devil would sneak in if you didn’t.
  • Making noise at midnight on New Year’s Eve to scare away the evil spirits.
  • Saying bless you when someone sneezes was originally ordered by a pope in the Middle Ages to ward off plague.
  • Clinking glasses and saying cheers before you take a sip of your drink. If I remember correctly, it used to be a thing in Feudal England where warring factions made peace with each other by clinking their huge beer/ale mugs, thereby spilling a bit of their drink into the other person’s mug to ensure they haven’t been poisoned.
  • The purpose of bridesmaids was to confuse and protect the bride from being snatched by the fae? Snatched by something anyway.

https://thoughtcatalog.com/january-nelson/2019/12/30-creepy-superstitions-you-dont-even-realize-youve-been-practicing/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

If you break the glass on a photo and the crack passes over the face of someone in the picture, they will be the next to die out of everyone in the photo. 

The head of the household must step out of the house just before the strike of midnight on New Years Eve and enter just after midnight with a coin in his hand. This brings money in the new year. Failure to do so brings economic problems in the new year. 

There must be no uncovered free standing water in the house at midnight on New Years Eve. No leaks, drips in sinks, toilets lids must be down, no glasses of water, fish tanks must be covered, pet water must be emptied. Soda, juice, beer etc. were OK.  Just no pure water. It would invite mischievous spirits in to stay the next year.

Ivy growing outside was ok but bringing it inside will cause a death within the year. 

Walking over a grave will bring the spirit of the person back to haunt you. A pregnant woman walking over a grave in a dress will have a miscarriage. 

These were just a few of my moms superstitions. I’m not even to seances, Ouija Boards or summing Demons yet.  It was a twisted childhood. 

I should be concerned about walking anywhere in the Ozarks, because untold millions have lived and died here over 18,000  years, many buried who knows where? 

Mostly Pre-Columbian.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, minervadoe said:

The wife got on my my nerves enough to make me get vaccinated. Guess what table number they sent me to to get it.

At least I was ornery enough as a kid that I was going to make 13 my lucky number.

Edited by jfost11
Probably inebriated and the phone keyboard is awfully small
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

So, then you probably should stay away from the "Penny Dreadful"  mini series.  I think that was the darkest show that was ever able to keep my attention.  Eva Green went from a 10 to a -1 as her possession wore on. 

I don't like clowns.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1