Oops!

Eric

I've been in manufacturing for 24 years.  I've seen some serious accidents over the years.  Well, accident is the wrong word.  I've seen some grossly incompetent and negligent people create some real catastrophes.  

I respect the dangers that police, firefighters, and soldiers face constantly.  I wish people would understand that manufacturing is also very dangerous.  If I lose concentration for a fraction of a second, it can turn real bad.  If one of the moron coworkers slips up, I can be killed and might not even see it coming.  And safety is way down on the list of importance across the entire industry.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, geeorge said:

operator was either playing with their phone or smoking a cigarette  

A major train wreck involving an Amtrak colliding with a freight was due to the Amtrak engineer missing several slow and stop signals because he was texting. Significant loss of life. 

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Maser said:

Almost forgot about that floor is lava game we played as kids. :D

We loved that game.  Took all the cushions off all the furniture, threw them all around, threw the pillows all around, jumped everywhere we needed to go, and then slept real well that night.  When we got older, we took it outside and declared all the concrete was lava, and the Lava Monsters (the teenage boys in the neighborhood) threw lava bombs (Nerf footballs) at us, while we ran all over the neighborhood to get away, and got across the street on Big Wheels and skateboards to get to the porch "safe zones."  Haven't thought about that game in years...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I once saw a guy put most of his hand in a solder pot.  We used them to "tin" leads,  before soldering components into place.

I don't know what he was doing.  I think he dropped his resistor in there and instinctively grabbed for it.

Nurses and doctors often ask about your "pain level",  from 1 to 10.   I always thought that was incredibly stupid.   A guy that has put his hand in molten lead has a different "10", than, say, an accountant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Sand rather than concrete is the floor of choice around any molten metal situation - even bullet casting. Concrete literally explodes when melted metal lands on it. The water contained in concrete instantly becomes steam. 

Experienced that for myself using a gas torch on cleaning sheet metal in a damaged car.

Concrete spots like a .22 shell.

I work in a lot of steel mills.  I've seen bursts and explosions almost as good as those.

And,  as my butt is releasing,  and I'm running-tripping away like a burnt chicken,  everyone else is just standing there watching me, amused.  BECAUSE IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO THAT.

You'd think they'd tell you that.

And I'd walk, 1/4 mile down,  around the end of the building,  and 1/4 mile back up to get to where I need to be.

BECAUSE THERE ARE VESSELS, AS BIG AS YOUR HOUSE, OF BOILING POPPING CHURNING MOLTEN METAL ALL LINED UP THERE!!!

And, later,  when you're following a guy that works there,  he walks right towards and between them,  through the 6' gaps.

We have to wear a lot of safety gear, but, C'mon Man!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

I once saw a guy that has put his hand in molten lead has a different "10", than, say, an accountant.

Yup. Heh, heh, heh.:xD:.  I hit my thumb, with a 32oz ballpee once, driving in a 4inch Lag screw on a crossarm brace...  It was a good lick.  Knew bout half of my thumb was gone... 

Damned apprentice says..." Let me see!!! let me see!!!"

Nope.  Didn't take off my Kuntz for an hr.  Not pretty...

Pain when ya get older...ya just learn to...sorta live with. Nothin else to do.

I showed up one morning,  but the place was shut down and evacuated.  Overnight,  a vessel had "spilled".  They said it burned through a wall that was designed to never be burned through,  hit a huge pile of plowed-up snow outside,  and the explosion took out the  train-operator's shack, killing several people.

When I got in,  next week,  the scene was apocalyptic.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1