The Die is Cast.

Batesmotel

I’m going back to exclusively shooting film. I gave my good DSLR to my son who is taking photography classes next semester to pick up an art minor. I gave my backup to my wife. I still have my phone and a point-and-shoot if I need to shoot something to post. Other than that everything is film. From 35mm to 8X10. 

It feels like a weight has been lifted from me. I just don’t think or see digital. My mental process is analog. I never gave up on film but it has been secondary for years. It feels like going home. 

• Like 5

I love film. 

Some of my most enjoyable moments was watching film process.  In fact, i think i may still have some old kodak paper in the closet.  I know i still have a light table for negatives.

The other day i was looking for an enlarger and noticed that negative scanners have generally replaced those.  

Kind of makes it interesting to think of shooting real film again.

Really would like to get a camera that shoots 4 inch negatives.

There is a major resurgence in large format. Mostly what they call hybrid photography. Shoot film , scan and make digital prints. My darkroom has had minimal use for about 10 years. Never shutdown just not used a lot. But I never really get the hang of digital.

I had a 44 inch Epson printer but it died two years ago. After that I just lost interest in learning more about the latest software. So I started shooting more film. 

I started looking at YouTube videos on what is happening in analog photography. People are struggling with the gear they can get and not having a darkroom while I’m sitting on top end gear I’m hardly using.

I figure I’ve got about 20 good years to finish a great body of work. I have 45 years of experience in the darkroom. It makes no sense to keep struggling with digital.

Even though I never stopped shooting film this week seriously feels like I’m going home. 

I shoot everything in manual mode (ISO, aperture, shutter speed, zoom, white balance) on my digital cams, that's as far back as I want to go. No way I can arrange a darkroom in my house without kicking something else out.

NYC 2014, 35mm prime, ISO 640, f/7.1, 1/25s

image.png.940dd7578e343d733fb6a0962ed3b19b.png

Edited by crockett
  • Like 2

i know not one thing about Photography.

but, Film seems like a real and tactile thing, maybe its ignorance but Film seems like you just get to hold something and has some Class.

i know nothing of Photography.

hope it works out the way you want it to!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

There is a major resurgence in large format. Mostly what they call hybrid photography. Shoot film , scan and make digital prints. My darkroom has had minimal use for about 10 years. Never shutdown just not used a lot. But I never really get the hang of digital.

I had a 44 inch Epson printer but it died two years ago. After that I just lost interest in learning more about the latest software. So I started shooting more film. 

I started looking at YouTube videos on what is happening in analog photography. People are struggling with the gear they can get and not having a darkroom while I’m sitting on top end gear I’m hardly using.

I figure I’ve got about 20 good years to finish a great body of work. I have 45 years of experience in the darkroom. It makes no sense to keep struggling with digital.

Even though I never stopped shooting film this week seriously feels like I’m going home. 

That's cool man.  I shot and developed so much film...and loved it!!  Now days...I'm all bout Digital and RAW.  Can ya still get chemicals easily?  I always wanted the 2 1/4 format Haselbland  (sp) that they left on the moon.

4 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

That's cool man.  I shot and developed so much film...and loved it!!  Now days...I'm all bout Digital and RAW.  Can ya still get chemicals easily?  I always wanted the 2 1/4 format Haselbland  (sp) that they left on the moon.

Chemistry is easy to get. Bigger cities usually have camera stores that stock basic stuff again. But there are three big online suppliers (B&H, Freestyle and Photographers Formulary)and a few smaller ones. So everything is out there you just need to order in advance. 

The best thing digital did to film and paper was to get rid of all of the crappy ones. Most of the best ones survived. The junk couldn’t compete. 

The Achilles heel is cameras and lenses. They are getting old and spare parts will eventually get used up. 

21 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Chemistry is easy to get. Bigger cities usually have camera stores that stock basic stuff again. But there are three big online suppliers (B&H, Freestyle and Photographers Formulary)and a few smaller ones. So everything is out there you just need to order in advance. 

The best thing digital did to film and paper was to get rid of all of the crappy ones. Most of the best ones survived. The junk couldn’t compete. 

The Achilles heel is cameras and lenses. They are getting old and spare parts will eventually get used up. 

Exactly.  I have a old Tokina..35-200 I think it is...3.5.  Bought it for Minolta...slr...1982 I think it was.  STILL using that lens on my Sony A 65 slr...2021.   I know..

A65????  O.o AND...the auto focus still works on it!!!  But...Alas...I use a cell phone camera...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holyjohnson said:

but, Film seems like a real and tactile thing, maybe its ignorance but Film seems like you just get to hold something and has some Class.

You know more than you think.  Film does not allow for errors unlike Photoshop.

Film is an art. It's a way of seeing and playing with light and chemistry.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Exactly.  I have a old Tokina..35-200 I think it is...3.5

I had the 300 version of the same. Actually,  i still have it.

Still works.

There are a lot of purest who still enjoy real film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1