Happy PCS Day

Eric

• Administrators

Today is the 35th anniversary of me reporting in to my permanent duty assignment, following leave, after Basic.

Do you fellow vets remember reporting in to your new unit, after Basic?

C9F2AF30-F7F2-4087-B830-48511D58DDEC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My first PCS was 341 SMS, Malmstrom, EMT shop. Nope, not Emergency Medical Tech, but Electro-Mechanical Team, or as we called it, Every MotherLovin' Thing. Seems there are a lot of things that can go wrong with a Minuteman site , and there's not always a perfect AFSC fit (power, ECS, blast door misalignment, sump pumps, yadda, yadda, sump pumps), so they sent a couple of EMT troops. I eventually worked on the 1st MM site, A-1, and the last, T-50. It was a blast. Well, not a blast...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Never in military but as a 19 year old went to work on a military facility. 

Before I even saw what I was going to be working on we had a "Broken Arrow" event.  Thankfully it was a sensor issue but they evacuated us to a "safe" location.

Talk about scaring the crap out of someone that really kinda knew what we were working on but........  after 42 years working on "things" I am happily retired,  I do have hair loss though.   Hmmm :anim_rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have only a vague (though not unpleasant) memory of reporting to my first duty station.  However, I remember very clearly the day almost forty years ago that I reported to the first day of basic training and hearing a deep voice say quite sternly, "Get off that bus!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, tadbart said:

So, how does that work? "We just kicked your ass for a couple months. Take a vacation, and show up at the gate in West Bum****, Germany, with this duffel bag of stuff."???

Pretty much. In my case though, it was Arlington, VA. You check in, then you process in. Then they put you to work. 

"Hello, I'm Airman NewTroop, just in from Tech School. What's up?"

"Hi, NewTroop. I'm Sgt. BrownShoe. Run out and get me 50 feet of flight line < snicker, snicker >

"10-4, BackDoor. I'll keep searching until I find it, Sarge. ;)"

• Like 1

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

"Hello, I'm Airman NewTroop, just in from Tech School. What's up?"

"Hi, NewTroop. I'm Sgt. BrownShoe. Run out and get me 50 feet of flight line < snicker, snicker >

"10-4, BackDoor. I'll keep searching until I find it, Sarge. ;)"

And a sling stretcher and a box of grid squares and batteries for the compass. Fishing the new guy is a time-honored tradition. 

I certainly remember mine. Reported in to the Commander of the M&S Group who was retiring a month later. He invited me to his retirement party that night. Showed up riding my Triumph motorcycle. Met the Colonel's daughter there. She wanted a motorcycle ride after the party.

Against my better judgement, I gave her a ride.

Later on that night, she returned the favor.

Evidently my judgement sucks.

• Like 2

I remember the day I reported to my first command after boot camp and training. It made national news. 28 April 1983, I was standing on the pier, in the rain, waiting for the USS Enterprise to return from deployment. The ship sailed regally through San Francisco bay towards the pier. Slowly it stopped and started listing. It had run aground. After an hour we were sent back to the transient barracks. Four hours later we were directed to return to the pier. As I stood there and watched this 90,000 ton floating steel mountain come along side the pier, I thought to myself, "Just what the hell have I got myself into?" It was an inauspicious beginning to a 20 year career.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/04/28/The-nuclear-aircraft-carrier-USS-Enterprise-ran-aground-in/8921420350400/

• Like 3