You ain't black!

MO Fugga

7 minutes ago, MO Fugga said:

Ouch. Vaping is on a serious decline around here. Has been.

Wish it was on the decline here.  Can't stand the smell of the flavors these kids choose to use.  Why can't kids just smoke cigs and weed like we all did in the good old days. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Maser said:

Wish it was on the decline here.  Can't stand the smell of the flavors these kids choose to use.  Why can't kids just smoke cigs and weed like we all did in the good old days. :D

They'll be calling you a boomer before too long. :)

Get used to it. It's just a bunch of kids.

Old and treacherous beats youth and vigor. You only find out if you survive. :sigh:

Edited by MO Fugga
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MO Fugga said:

They'll be calling you a boomer before too long. :)

Get used to it. It's just a bunch of kids.

Old and treacherous beats youth and vigor. You only find out if you survive. :sigh:

Oh you needn't worry about that.  I have 2 sons who are zoomers and them and their friends call me a boomer already.  I don't mind in the least because us millennials are WAY better at pranks than whiny zoomers are!  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

First they came for the clove cigarettes, and I did nothing.  Then they came for the menthol cigs, and I did nothing.  Then they came for the rest of the cigs, and I did nothing, then they came for cigars, and the pipe tobacco... then they came for everything else the ATF screws with... and it was too late.

Actually, somewhere in there, I'll get annoyed and start growing my own and selling or trading it, because AGORISM FOR THE WIN!

• Like 5

15 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

In reality, logic dictates tobacco has to go. It should. I don't see an enormous black market or heavy gangster activity. It ain't like it's dope or booze. /s

At one time, maybe still, trailer truck loads of essentially state/local (and maybe federal) tax free cigarettes left Cherokee NC Indian Reservation for NYC and other high tax venues. No doubt many had counterfeit tax stamps affixed before they went retail.

Hummm... wonder if those cigarettes were legally sold in Cherokee then drop shipped from the cigarette companies’ warehouses. 

4 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

First they came for the clove cigarettes, and I did nothing.  Then they came for the menthol cigs, and I did nothing.  Then they came for the rest of the cigs, and I did nothing, then they came for cigars, and the pipe tobacco... then they came for everything else the ATF screws with... and it was too late.

Actually, somewhere in there, I'll get annoyed and start growing my own and selling or trading it, because AGORISM FOR THE WIN!

They still sell cloves, but as a little filtered cigar. Djarum Black, 12 in a pack. $6 even in Missouri! Other little cigars are still a dollar a pack.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hook said:

How in the hell do people afford smokes anymore? I seen the prices and I’m like eff that. 9/12 bucks a pack.  Pack a day that gets pricy. I gave them bastards up 20 years ago. 

I only buy them in the south, 'Bama / Georgia (MO is good, too).  Some grimy discount gas stations have brands you never heard of for $2 plus pennies per pack.  I buy five cartons at a time.

If I run out of the cheap ones,  I just quit for a while.  I ain't payin' $9.

If you got a uhaul of $20 cartons,  and took them to the northeast ($15+ per pack),  you could probably live large.  Until they caught up with you.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Maser said:

I don't know a single black guy who like menthol cigs.  Sadly most of the black people I know got into vaping. 

Before I retired my commute was usually through a neighborhood transitioning to black and low rent commercial. kool and other menthol cigarettes regularly advertised on bill boards. That was pre-vaping though.

When I smoked cigarettes lo those many years ago I at least tried most brands including menthol. Favorites were non-menthol though. And FWIW I had quit smoking long before I retired so cigarette billboards were curiosities

There was a place in Delaware that sold them crazy-cheap.  It was right next to the bridge into NJ.

The guys at the jobsite warned me that the cops watch that store,  and if they see you load up your trunk and drive over the bridge, you're toast.  Anything over three (?) cartons is bootlegging / smuggling.  They don't play,  and you'll be in prison for a long while.

• Like 1

Here's one for you from New York.

• 75 percent of the wholesale price on cigars and tobacco products (other than little cigars and snuff);

So let' say we're talking about a premium quality cigar. A nice stick at about $20 wholesale.

It's now $35 a stick.

Now let's say you want a nice box of 20. 

$600...

Cigarette taxes by major cities/states:

https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/assets/factsheets/0267.pdf
Chicago is $7.16 plus $1.01 federal plus any general sales tax applicable to cigarettes. So $10+ minimum per PACK. Peel 3/4 of the city/state tax off for the mob, leaving the rest for the knowing retailer and that’s a nice reward for counterfeit tax stamps.

Because of the settlements between state/local governments and the then major cigarette manufactures they are now partners.