Throw the bums out!

gwalchmai

Any of you have flu this year? There has been almost no flu season this year. The masks, hand washing, and distancing precautions had the side effect of preventing the flu season. The pandemic precautions are annoying, but they have stopped flu and covid-19. I'm annoyed by the precautions too, but if they saved lives I'm all for them. I think your anger at the precautions is misplaced. 

14 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

Any of you have flu this year? There has been almost no flu season this year. The masks, hand washing, and distancing precautions had the side effect of preventing the flu season. The pandemic precautions are annoying, but they have stopped flu and covid-19. I'm annoyed by the precautions too, but if they saved lives I'm all for them. I think your anger at the precautions is misplaced. 

That's one interpretation. Another is that all flu cases have been reported as ChinaVirus. 

If these precautions have prevented the flu season, wouldn't they also have prevented the ChinaVirus? The transmission vectors are the same for both. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

That's one interpretation. Another is that all flu cases have been reported as ChinaVirus. 

If these precautions have prevented the flu season, wouldn't they also have prevented the ChinaVirus? The transmission vectors are the same for both. 

You can't compare virus to virus. Compare common cold to AIDS? compare hepatitis  to measles? The WUFLU is new and we're still learning about it. Flu falls into type A or B. Been around forever IIRC Type A is more dangerous, etc.

There are tests for flu and chinaflu, a few poor people have tested positive for both, but among ER nurses they all count the number of flu + this year in the single digits, whereas the wuflu is everywhere it seems, and people claiming "The right" to not wear masks or other simple infection control measures are selfishly dangerous to themselves and others.

A wedding held in Northern Maine was a "Super spreader event." One person there was a prison guard. WUFLU went through the prison system prisoners and guards, the public, and a few deaths were traced back to the guard. Sorry about the rant.

Since I'm a germaphobe to begin with and a so called anti-vaxxer, I have no problem wearing a mask and using sanitizing handwipes every time I'm inside a building with people being around. Happens about 2 times a week when grocery shopping. Got a stash of N-95 masks and handwipes in all vehicles. Chances are I won't go back to "normal" for a long time.

Edited by crockett
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paul53 said:

You can't compare virus to virus. Compare common cold to AIDS? compare hepatitis  to measles? The WUFLU is new and we're still learning about it. Flu falls into type A or B. Been around forever IIRC Type A is more dangerous, etc.

There are tests for flu and chinaflu, a few poor people have tested positive for both, but among ER nurses they all count the number of flu + this year in the single digits, whereas the wuflu is everywhere it seems, and people claiming "The right" to not wear masks or other simple infection control measures are selfishly dangerous to themselves and others.

A wedding held in Northern Maine was a "Super spreader event." One person there was a prison guard. WUFLU went through the prison system prisoners and guards, the public, and a few deaths were traced back to the guard. Sorry about the rant.

How many old folks die from the flu, or a cold, or measles in normal years? A passel. Any of these things can kill geezers and do all the time. But this year, not so much. And from what I've seen from the virus reporting industry I'm not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Paul53 said:

Its rather interesting that if you dig into the CDC tables you will note that the counts they are touting are from Oct 2020 to Jan 1, 2021.   They fail to use the data from Jan 1, 2020 to May 2020.  That data is almost identical to past years meaning that many more people were hospitalized and died from the flu.  Most cases historically went down after March to negligible levels meaning the majority of cases were Jan - March and tapered off quickly.

The data shows that once the covid testing was wide spread very few cases recorded (approx. April 2020) the flu went to almost nothing.. This also follows the historical data.   The change came when in Oct 2020 when the flu went to a statistical zero or "noise level".

Once again this is just data that is available from the CDC website.  It leads data analysts into a puzzling dilemma.  Maybe the masks, hand washing and social distancing didn't allow the Flu virus to spread.  Or maybe no one checked for the flu since covid was the most talked about and with the PCR testing false positives there was no reason to do flu testing as the patients were identified as covid positive in error.

Just things to ponder as we solve all the problems in the world on this forum.  :cheers:

• Like 2