Question about Chicago...

kerbie18

Hello all,

I have an upcoming flight that unfortunately involves an over 9 hour layover at the airport in Chicago before I catch the connecting flight. In theory, that's more than enough time to catch a sight in Chicago and return to the airport. I've never been to Chicago.

Before anyone says it: YES, I am aware parts of Chicago are a God damned combat zone. Just wondering if I can catch a cab to a neat place, then back to the airport, and not die in the process.

Suggestions from the braintrust anyone?

Edited by kerbie18

26 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

There was a Great Ramen Noodle place in the airport a couple years ago. 

I always associate ramen noodles with my younger days of poverty and living on pennies. I need to try fancy ramen noodles at some point.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

I always associate ramen noodles with my younger days of poverty and living on pennies. I need to try fancy ramen noodles at some point.

Great ramen is a wonderful meal. Noodles, broth, veggies, meat, fish. A far cry from the little 10¢ Packets. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Great ramen is a wonderful meal. Noodles, broth, veggies, meat, fish. A far cry from the little 10¢ Packets. 

We have a great ramen restaurant where i live.   I swear they make a life saving product.   Feeling under the weather?  Eat there.  

The one time i went to Chicago i truly enjoyed it.

I went to a very small jazz bar on Halloween night.  I had Manhatten cocktails served to me by a mummy.  And they did not card me...i was twenty-ish...maybe nine-teen. 

The jazz was brilliant.

• Like 1

Chicago is an amazing town, despite the narrow perspective you hear sometimes.  I don't think I would live there but it's fun to visit.

Yeah, there are places to avoid like any big city.  I grew up in Detroit so...yeah.

Other than their so called pizza, the food is OK.  :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

You didn't say which airport, but I'll assume O'Hare.  It's very easy to stay away from the war zones, everyone knows where they are.

Spend 5 minutes Googling what to see in Chicago.  You'll find something you like, and get some good food.  I used to be addicted to a place called Big Bowl, not sure if they are around anymore.

One of the things i love about big cities is there is so much to do and see.

Then i want to live in a small town...because it doesn't have the same issues as big cities.

A prime example: Seraurat.

Not in my area.  But i love the style.   I went to a Monet exhibit a few years ago that was truly mind blowning.

For the record:  Artistically i am a crayons kind of guy.  So when i see great art...it boggles the mind.

Chester, PA.  The first time I was there....  I didn't know.  I got off work and was following my gps to a chinese restaurant,  a couple miles away.

Then the cops lit me up.

They interrogated me,  I told them my story,  showed them my gps.....

Then they said, "OK.  We believe you.  When we see a white guy driving around here,  he's either looking for drugs,  or love,  or just ******* stupid.  We believe you're just ******* stupid."

"So here's what you're gonna do....  Go down two lights...  If they're red, run them.  Turn left.  Run the next three lights, don't even slow down.  Then get back on the interstate and go back to wherever the **** you came from."

I thanked them.

I was working in downtown Killy.  The site guys broke for lunch.  They said there was a great deli,  two blocks down.  They took me on the shortcut, to the very back of the plant, and let me out the back gate.  Re-chained it, and clicked the padlock shut.

Then I turned around.

I was way in it.  Deep.  Waay too deep.   Every gangsta on the street stared.

I think I didn't immediately die because I was a filthy dirty,  unshaven, hard-hat guy.  I fit in.  I walked a block down.

(The place was busy.  When I got to the front of the line,  the guy said, "What?!?"   I said, "Uh........"

The guy immediately yelled, "GET THE **** OFF!  GET ATTA TAHN!  I AIN'T GOT ALL DAY FOR YOU!!!!  GET ATTA HE-AH!!"

So I had to go to the back of the line.

The next time I got to the front,  I ordered before he could even ask.)

I was eating my hoagie,  and I noticed the table of gangstas all had guns.  yay.  Then I noticed that they all had badges on their belts also.  yay.  I waited for them to leave,  and followed them into the street and down the block.  I lived.

Best cheesesteak I ever had.

And I learned that there's a word for (I forget what it is),  where that little trench in front of the grill,  where the cooks scrape all the grease-sludge from everything into....

You can ask for your cheesesteak that way,  and they'll dig their spatula along that trench and dump all the sludge on top of your sandwich.

I think I want one.

When I first started this job,  I carried everywhere.  Too many close calls.

You don't want a gun on you in NJ.

I was once borderline NJ / NYC,  the highway is 15 lanes wide,  I don't want to go on the bridge into NYC,  but you are.  $25.

It takes an hour, out of NYC, $25.

Do the same thing again.  Jersians don't like turn signals.  That just means you're fucked.  $25 and $25.

Turn in my expense report with $100 worth of tolls,  and I didn't even want to cross the damn river.

And my boss's boss bitches. 

I can, experiencedly, bitch way better.