The Battle of Messines - 1917

Eric

dis•in•te•gra•tion dĭs-ĭn″tĭ-grā′shən

• n.
    The act or process of disintegrating.
  • n.
    The state of being disintegrated.
  • n.
    The natural or induced transformation of an atomic nucleus from a more massive to a less massive configuration by the emission of particles or radiation.

Is this the one were  the attacking force got disorganized when they saw the carnage at the crater and hesitated there long enough for the Germans to reorganize?

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

dis•in•te•gra•tion dĭs-ĭn″tĭ-grā′shən

• n.
    The act or process of disintegrating.
  • n.
    The state of being disintegrated.
  • n.
    The natural or induced transformation of an atomic nucleus from a more massive to a less massive configuration by the emission of particles or radiation.

Is this the one were  the attacking force got disorganized when they saw the carnage at the crater and hesitated there long enough for the Germans to reorganize?

The allies won, but I don’t know much about the details. It might mention more on the wiki page that I linked to in my OP.

It blows my mind that the lines remained static for so long, that something like this was even possible. Weird way to fight a war.

9 hours ago, Eric said:

It blows my mind that the lines remained static for so long, that something like this was even possible. Weird way to fight a war.

It's crazy to think that the famous "no mans land" was honeycombed with tunnels from both sides.  I know Peaky blinders is fiction, but they convey the idea that they could hear the enemy tunneling, and they occasionally broke into each other's tunnels and fought

9 hours ago, Eric said:

The allies won, but I don’t know much about the details.

19 "mines" means 19 points of entry from tunnels.  That is insane.  One million pounds of explosives. 

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-history/battle-of-messines-ridge-explosion/

4 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

What were the goals of the Great War? Were they achieved? 

Ever poke a hornets nest?

The identification of the causes of World War I remains controversial. World War I began in the Balkans on July 28, 1914 and hostilities ended on November 11, 1918, leaving 17 million dead and 25 million wounded. Scholars looking at the long term seek to explain why two rival sets of powers came into conflict by 1914.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_World_War_I

41 minutes ago, Eric said:

The Treaty of Versailles pretty much guaranteed a round two and The Marshall Plan probably prevented a round three.  

Yup. Propping the vanquished up and rebuilding their economies into the envy of the civilized world was a much better solution than rubbing their noses in it for as long as possible.

Had Woodrow “He Kept Us Out of the War” Wilson not been re-elected and drug the USA into it, WWI might have just petered out as all combatants were becoming exhausted. And the resultant peace settlement might not have sowed the seeds of WWII. 

Except for the United States, the heads of major combatants were generally related - royal cousins etc. 

7 hours ago, Eric said:

The Treaty of Versailles pretty much guaranteed a round two and The Marshall Plan probably prevented a round three.  

Having just re-read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich you can clearly how the Versaille Treaty was designed to cripple the Germans...and it created vast anger.

Hitler had a deranged obsession with correcting the wrongs of the treaty.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Historian said:

Having just re-read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich you can clearly how the Versaille Treaty was designed to cripple the Germans...and it created vast anger.

Hitler had a deranged obsession with correcting the wrongs of the treaty.

Yeah, he had the French sign their surrender in the same train car the Treaty of Versailles was signed in, didn’t he?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric said:

Yeah, he had the French sign their surrender in the same train car the Treaty of Versailles was signed in, didn’t he?

Hitler had the train car removed from a museum...they knocked down a wall to remove it...and had it rolled to the exact spot where the actual monument to the surrender was signed.  

That man had issues.  I'm talking more issues than Reader's Digest.

He covered the French moment with a German flag.

This is a photo from that very day.

PICTURES FROM HISTORY: Rare Images Of War, History , WW2 ...

• Like 1