Fact Checking by Individuals

railfancwb

Every day people are presented with a lot of information. Much is relevant and personal and easily verified - bank balances for example.

Other is from a distance and possibly presented by entities with motives.

For example: Capitol Police officer killed by being hit with a fire extinguisher January 6. Much later, in April, information is that he actually died of natural causes and in fact was never hit with a fire extinguisher.

Should our default position be to disbelieve everything from mass media if we don’t have personal knowledge about the matter?

Or to ask a related question, how can an individual glean from mass media any nuggets of truth contained in their presentations?

I live in flyover country but I doubt that individuals living in coastal enclaves have any better handle on the truth vs fiction divide than those in flyover country. 

4 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Should our default position be to disbelieve everything from mass media if we don’t have personal knowledge about the matter?

Yes.

The "News" is dead.

I scan the headlines on all the big MSM sites.  I very rarely click on anything.  You can tell just by the wording,  how the story is slanted.  I'll get the gist of what today's "news" is,  and that's about all I need.

Besides, I get to feeling inadequate when 70% of the headlines are about celebrities and 'talking heads' that I've never even heard of.  I don't know what the important things are.  I have to watch The View to keep up.

Russia's been doing a lot of poking with sticks lately, but Kardasian's ass is a little off center today,  which is what's important.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Every day people are presented with a lot of information. Much is relevant and personal and easily verified - bank balances for example.

Other is from a distance and possibly presented by entities with motives.

For example: Capitol Police officer killed by being hit with a fire extinguisher January 6. Much later, in April, information is that he actually died of natural causes and in fact was never hit with a fire extinguisher.

Or to ask a related question, how can an individual glean from mass media any nuggets of truth contained in their presentations?

I live in flyover country but I doubt that individuals living in coastal enclaves have any better handle on the truth vs fiction divide than those in flyover country. 

Boycott all big social media platforms and big news outlets short of FOX News. And even FOX jumps on the bullshit wagon regularly. Most big and mid size outlets are left wing biased or outright left wing agenda driven.

Tucker Carlson is 100% legit in my eyes. One day the left will kill him.

Breitbart is a good source over all. Sometimes I even peek into InfoWars. While Jones is a bit too deep into the rabbit hole on certain issues, the fact that he was banned on all social media is a sign for me that he is on the path of truth in several areas.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 3

the only purpose of any program or media is to sell advertising space in order to make money.  Everything else is a far second to this goal.

Outrage sells advertising space.  

people who are happy/well balanced don't buy things.  You have to convince them they are unhappy/unbalanced in order to sell stuff to people.

Creating outrage, half truths, and biased opinions presented as fact help make people unbalanced/unhappy, thus getting them to buy more products and increasing the value of the advertising space.

The news programs aren't there to provide you with facts, they're there to make you buy stuff/give away money/increase someone's power or status.

• Like 2

Expert: Someone who learns more and more about less and less until finally knowing everything about nothing.

News Junky: Learns less and less about more and more until finally knowing nothing about everything. 

Need a crisp word to replace “News Junky”

On 4/23/2021 at 4:49 PM, Cougar_ml said:

the only purpose of any program or media is to sell advertising space in order to make money.  Everything else is a far second to this goal.

Outrage sells advertising space.  

people who are happy/well balanced don't buy things.  You have to convince them they are unhappy/unbalanced in order to sell stuff to people.

Creating outrage, half truths, and biased opinions presented as fact help make people unbalanced/unhappy, thus getting them to buy more products and increasing the value of the advertising space.

The news programs aren't there to provide you with facts, they're there to make you buy stuff/give away money/increase someone's power or status.

That used to be the case.

Watch several CNN related videos on the Project Veritas channel. You will find out that CNN has pushed and twisted anti Trump and anti conservative news, even though their views took a HUGE hit and have been on a decline ever since.

Several news outlets act the same way, and moved left wing propaganda well ahead of profit.

https://www.youtube.com/c/veritasvisuals/search?query=cnn

• Like 2

On 4/23/2021 at 1:55 PM, railfancwb said:

Yes.

this is the outcome that Yellow Journalism has created.

there's some News sources more trustworthy then others, but when almost all News Outlets are owned by Corporations, all they will make is a Business based in sales.

1 hour ago, holyjohnson said:

Yes.

this is the outcome that Yellow Journalism has created.

there's some News sources more trustworthy then others, but when almost all News Outlets are owned by Corporations, all they will make is a Business based in sales.

Aren't like 95% of the new outlets owned by half a dozen individuals/corporations any more? Seems I read something of that effect, and it shows.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Aren't like 95% of the new outlets owned by half a dozen individuals/corporations any more? Seems I read something of that effect, and it shows.

Clearchannel owns about 1300 radio stations and is now iHeartRadio.

GE,NewsCorp,Disney,Viacom,Time Warner and CBS own  just about 70% of TV.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crockett said:

Not on this level, not in the US.

Gotta argue with ya a little bit on that one, amigo. The media has been a lying misrepresenting bunch of scalawags as long as there's been a media. That's inevitable because there's really no such thing as real objectivity (except by God, and he's mysterious). It was, is, and will always be the responsibility of the "news" consumer to evaluate what is presented to us and view "journalists" with a jaundiced eye. 

• Like 1

In the 80s the US media was owned by 50 companies. Now we have 6 semi monopolies:

These 6 corporations control 90% of the media outlets in America. The  illusion of choice and objectivity | Tech News | Startups News

Just one example: AT&T Executive Chairman is William Kennard.

William Kennard was also chairman of the FCC after being appointed by President Bill Clinton in November 1997.

When you do some research, you see the connections.

You guys need to wake up and get away from this "the  media was always subjective and always only focused on making profit through advertisement" idea. We are well beyond that!