Chauvin Judge GOES OFF on Maxine Waters for Disrespecting the Rule of Law

pipedreams

Minneapolis – As the jury in the Derek Chauvin trial is in deliberation, the attorney for Derek Chauvin, Eric Nelson, asked for a mistrial based on the comments by Congresswoman Maxine Waters over the weekend.“

https://www.lawofficer.com/appeal-by-chauvin/

Chauvin trial judge denies the defense's request for a mistrial, BUT he did SLAM Maxine Waters for her threatening comments in Minnesota this weekend to jurors, calling them "abhorrent" and "disrespectful to the rule of law and to the judicial branch and our function." pic.twitter.com/rAoa1QvcqZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She was not speaking in her official role as a Representative - in fact she isn’t a Representative from that state. Maybe a contempt of court charge and arrest with no bail is warranted. The rabble she is rousing would be upset, but they are upset anyway. The people who still believe in the rule of law might appreciate it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

He's right about Marxine, but he shouldn't have denied the mistrial.  Jury tampering right on up to incitement to violence.  

What she said.

I can understand wanting to be involved.  But as an elected official it's nothing but grand standing.

She is so far out of lines....it's beyond description.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why do y'all keep referring to the show in Minnesota as a trial?

It is a scripted performance; all players know their entrance, their lines, their exit.

Do not confuse a well-staged production with justice.

Edited by tous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, tous said:

Why do y'all keep referring to the show in Minnesota as a trial?

It is a scripted performance; all players know their entrance, their lines, their exit.

Do not confuse a well-staged production for justice.

This isn't a call for justice by select groups, it's a call for vengeance.  

• Like 3

I disagree, amigo.

Like the Committee for Public Safety, the Soviet-era trials and various military drum-head judgements, they exist solely for the benefit, aggrandizement and increase in power for the rulers.

Those condemned are just bit players, unimportant and easily dismissed once they no longer serve a purpose.

• Like 1

You all are aware that the jury was put into sequestration before Maxine Waters made that speech right?  They didn't hear a word of it.  Personally I feel the sequestration should have been put into place since day 1 and not at the end of the trial. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Maser said:

You all are aware that the jury was put into sequestration before Maxine Waters made that speech right?  They didn't hear a word of it.  Personally I feel the sequestration should have been put into place since day 1 and not at the end of the trial. 

Not sure about that, Maser.

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/judge-cahill-says-maxine-waters-comments-could-cause-trial-to-be-overturned-transcript-derek-chauvin-trial

Mr. Nelson: (00:13)
Correct, Your Honor. Your Honor, as the court is aware, prior to coming into court this morning for our closing arguments, we had in chambers discussion about events of this weekend, specifically referencing that an elected official, a United States Congressperson, was making what I interpreted to be and what I think are reasonably interpreted to be, threats against the sanctity of the jury process, threatening and intimidating a jury, demanding that if there’s not a guilty verdict that there would be further problems, Your Honor. And given the fact that this jury has not been sequestered, it has been my position all along throughout the course of this case that this jury should have been sequestered at the outset, the jury has not been continually told to stay away from media, only media, about this case.

38 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Not sure about that, Maser.

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/judge-cahill-says-maxine-waters-comments-could-cause-trial-to-be-overturned-transcript-derek-chauvin-trial

Mr. Nelson: (00:13)
Correct, Your Honor. Your Honor, as the court is aware, prior to coming into court this morning for our closing arguments, we had in chambers discussion about events of this weekend, specifically referencing that an elected official, a United States Congressperson, was making what I interpreted to be and what I think are reasonably interpreted to be, threats against the sanctity of the jury process, threatening and intimidating a jury, demanding that if there’s not a guilty verdict that there would be further problems, Your Honor. And given the fact that this jury has not been sequestered, it has been my position all along throughout the course of this case that this jury should have been sequestered at the outset, the jury has not been continually told to stay away from media, only media, about this case.

When he said the line in bold he was talking about the jury not being fully sequestered because they were only partially sequestered at that time.  Not sure what that entails to be only partially.  None the less, I'm on the same page as Eric Nelson in that the jury should have been fully sequestered at the outset.   

• Like 1

Does anyone else have a problem with the POTUS saying we need "the correct verdict"?  That is freaking horrendous, he is trying to negate the trial entirely.  I think that is worse than what mindless maxine said.  She is not POTUS and really just saying what will happen anyway.  I think she should be censored for it but to me the idea of a correct verdict is worse.

• Like 2