Usefulness of the .22

crossmember

On 8/12/2017 at 12:14 AM, Peng said:

You really only need 4 guns and a .22 is one of them.

A .22LR, a shotgun, a scoped rifle and a SD handgun. Could even go to 3 with a slug barrel.

Everything else is details.

What? Heresy. Sacrilege.  Everyone knows  you only need one gun more than however many you currently have. Four!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:00 PM, SilverRidge01 said:

That's a good point the enemy pumped up on heroin and drugs would not stop coming after taking many rounds, such was the case in the Korean conflict, in fact the military did away with the .30 caliber carbine it was useless against a crazed enemy charge. With their thick padded uniforms they would take many hits without stopping .... 

You have to remember that hardball is used by the military (at least most of the military).  Regardless of what caliber you may like when using the latest hollow points, when using hardball size and velocity are everything.  The difference between getting hit with a 9mm or 30 cal. carbine  bullet vs. being hit with a .45 ACP or 30-06 rifle round would be huge.  In WW I, Alvin York stopped a 9 or 10 man charge against his forward position with his partially loaded rifle and a fully loaded .45 ACP 1911.  He claimed when his rifle was empty, he drew his 1911 and took down several German solders before the rest surrendered to him.  

I read an account written by an archeologist a few years ago that got permission to do a dig at York's defensive position. The dig revealed that York's story was correct. They located several 30-06 cases and 7 of the 8 .45 ACP cases that York said he had fired to stop the charge. If I remember correctly, York stated that each man he fired at with the .45 ACP fell. He fired those rounds at a determined German unit charging his position and he was using hardball ammo - the only ammo available at that time; hollow points would not even be marketed for at least fifty years in the future.

Edited by Citra47
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Everyone seems to have forgotten the highly efficient food gathering properties of the .22.  I’m no end of the world conspirorist, but having the ability to put a bunny in the frying pan at a moments notice gives me comfort.  

And gravy.  And biscuits.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jame said:

Everyone seems to have forgotten the highly efficient food gathering properties of the .22.  I’m no end of the world conspirorist, but having the ability to put a bunny in the frying pan at a moments notice gives me comfort.  

And gravy.  And biscuits.

Nope, didn't forget about the .22.  I own several and shoot them often. 

• Like 2