Usefulness of the .22

crossmember

I have an AA for my GLOCK 19 and a S&W 617. The "usefulness" comes in being able to plink more and not feel guilty about the cost AND the ability to practice on the same platform as my other GLOCKS and my S&W 686 without putting myself in the poor house.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree.  The .22lr is not all things, but it does some things really well.  Those things being quiet, low recoil, easy shoot ability, not as expensive as most other calibers, fast follow-up shots and it's a firearm that shoots!  

Would I take it for bull moose, a charging grizzly or a 500 yard sniping mission?   No.   Used within it's parameters, it is a nifty and fine caliber.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There was a time decades ago when the S&W 63 kit gun pictured below (4" barrel) and a S&W .38 snubbie were the only two pieces I had for HD.

I'm glad I never had to use ANY gun for HD (keep knocking on wood) -- but that little .22 gave me comfort. :)

kitguns_800x600.jpg.2ab0138ace77ab0c4d3a5b5cd3901dae.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, crossmember said:

i DON'T CARE HOW BIG HE IS, OR HOW BAD HE IS, OR HOW HOPPED UP ON METH HE IS; YOU SHOOT HIM IN THE EYE WITH A .22 AND YOU'RE GOING TO GET HIS ATTENTION.

Shoot him in both eyes and you can keep his attention just by moving some furniture around. :sunnies:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Taken overall, the .22LR might just be the most useful cartridge on the planet. I live on a large family property with a lot of opportunity for hunting and other recreational shooting. We have frequent visitors, including children. And there is no doubt we go through far more .22LR cartridges than all others combined...and we do have a lot of others! Small game, varmints, target shooting...somebody is always reaching for a .22.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’ve put down a lot of hogs (not wild)with a 22. A few years back a ww2 vet neighbor shot an intruder from the top of his stairs one time. The intruder made it one step out the door before collapsing on the ground.

22lr wouldn’t be my first choice for self defense, but it’ll work in a pinch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:58 PM, ASH said:

trivia  more people are killed with 22's  then any other round .  

I have always heard that but what was never mentioned was just how long it took for the person to expire. 

A minute or less?  More?  A wounded but determined individual can cause a lot of hurt in a short period of time.

I suppose everyone should carry and use whatever they deem to be the most effective handgun available that they can reasonably carry or possess.

I only personally know of two instances of people being shot with .22s.

In one case, a friend of mine happened to be sitting at a diner when he saw an altercation in the parking lot (between a dude outside of a car and a person sitting in the driver's seat). The driver pulled out a .22 and shot him once in the gut. My friend said the person who was shot dropped like a sack of grain and didn't move until the EMTs showed up.

In the second instance, a coworker of mine was mugged on a city street. The mugger shot him once in the leg with a .22 pistol. My coworker fell to the sidewalk and said he thought his leg had been blown off. Again, he did nothing but wait to get to the emergency room.

None of this is an ENDORSEMENT for using a .22 in defense... Just references of which I am personally aware regarding their use. ?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I have a Taurus ultra lite 22 mag, PMR 30,  22 mag.  My most fun per outing is my Beretta 21A,,, 22 LR.   I've packed all three and have never felt undergunned.  BUT !!!  They are not my woods Guns!  But I don't go there much any more.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:52 PM, crossmember said:

i DON'T CARE HOW BIG HE IS, OR HOW BAD HE IS, OR HOW HOPPED UP ON METH HE IS; YOU SHOOT HIM IN THE EYE WITH A .22 AND YOU'RE GOING TO GET HIS ATTENTION.

No need to virtually yell.  My main use for .22 is a training tool before getting my kids on the heavier calibers.  Form doesn't change much.

• Like 2

Just got a Walther P22 with the target barrel, fun accurate 22, been practicing my finger postion on the trigger wth it, and like any other handgun it where the first shot goes that counts, fired some CCI  stingers and velocitors, would not want to get in the way of one of those, definitely ruin your whole day ...

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, ChuteTheMall said:

Shoot him in both eyes and you can keep his attention just by moving some furniture around. :sunnies:

Shoot him in both eyes and you shouldn't be able to keep his attention. He should be in never, never land. 

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, Jframe said:

I suppose everyone should carry and use whatever they deem to be the most effective handgun available that they can reasonably carry or possess.

I only personally know of two instances of people being shot with .22s.

In one case, a friend of mine happened to be sitting at a diner when he saw an altercation in the parking lot (between a dude outside of a car and a person sitting in the driver's seat). The driver pulled out a .22 and shot him once in the gut. My friend said the person who was shot dropped like a sack of grain and didn't move until the EMTs showed up.

In the second instance, a coworker of mine was mugged on a city street. The mugger shot him once in the leg with a .22 pistol. My coworker fell to the sidewalk and said he thought his leg had been blown off. Again, he did nothing but wait to get to the emergency room.

None of this is an ENDORSEMENT for using a .22 in defense... Just references of which I am personally aware regarding their use. ?

No one wants to get shot. It may well be phycological, but many people will go down with one hit. Please notice I did not say all. I have always believed adrenalin and in some cases drugs have a lot to do with it also.  People psyched up enough, as in combat, may not go down even after receiving many hits.

• Like 2

That's a good point the enemy pumped up on heroin and drugs would not stop coming after taking many rounds, such was the case in the Korean conflict, in fact the military did away with the .30 caliber carbine it was useless against a crazed enemy charge. With their thick padded uniforms they would take many hits without stopping .... 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 4:00 PM, SilverRidge01 said:

That's a good point the enemy pumped up on heroin and drugs would not stop coming after taking many rounds, such was the case in the Korean conflict, in fact the military did away with the .30 caliber carbine it was useless against a crazed enemy charge. With their thick padded uniforms they would take many hits without stopping .... 

I've actually heard conflicting accounts regarding the whole ineffectiveness of .30 carbine thing. Because of the pillow-padded clothing the Chicoms wore, there's the thought that a lot of the G.I. shots went through clothing but either grazed human tissue or missed it entirely. That the thickly-padded clothing actually stopped or deterred .30 carbine ammo is open to question. :)

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 1:49 PM, Citra47 said:

No one wants to get shot. It may well be phycological, but many people will go down with one hit. Please notice I did not say all. I have always believed adrenalin and in some cases drugs have a lot to do with it also.  People psyched up enough, as in combat, may not go down even after receiving many hits.

Absolutely agree with you! :) I wasn't responding specifically to anything you said, but only regurgitating the personal accounts of which I'm aware. The complexities of human psyche and human tissue (withi chemicals thrown in for good measure) lead to infinite variables. I think we can go with the stand-by rules of "carrying the biggest thing with which you're comfortable" and "rule #1 -- have a gun." :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the .30 cal Carbine effectiveness during the Korean conflict many G.I.'s preferred the .45 round over the .30 carbine it just didn't have the knock down power they needed, many of the troops preferred  the .45 caliber in the 1911 platform or the auto & effective simply built Grease gun, it hit harder could get obviously get more rounds downrange and was just more effective, but with that said if I had my choice I'd take the famous M1 Garand, now we are talking about the best military rifle of its time, effective range, stopping power, years ago I was a collector of modern military arms, the M1 Garand and Thompson M1A1 were my favorites, there is a lot of history behind the development and production of military firearms during WW II , companies like Underwood that made typewriters and others that made farms tools were turned into military weapons production factories that was to help the war effort, again a lot of interesting history on the production of military armament during the war ..

Geez sorry I hijacked the thread it was supposed to be about the 22 kinda deviated from the topic sorry about that ..

Edited by SilverRidge01
  • Thanks 1