Volcanic Eruptions

pipedreams

Explosion Rocks St. Vincent as Volcano Keeps Erupting.

Completely different scene.

A cloud of volcanic ash hovers over Kingstown, on the eastern Caribbean island of St. Vincent, on April 10, 2021, a

day after the La Soufriere volcano erupted. (Lucanus Ollivierre/AP)

Caribbean-island-of-St-Vincent-1-1200x675.jpg

St.-Vincent-volcano-1200x800.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A perfect example of climate change in action by nature.  Yet we have people like Al gore and Bill Gates that have solutions!!  Bill Gate's latest thing is to spray chalk dust is the atmosphere to block the sun and prevent global warmer.  Such science comes with unpredictable risks, including extreme shifts in weather patterns not dissimilar to warming trends we are already witnessing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielcohen/2021/01/11/bill-gates-backed-climate-solution-gains-traction-but-concerns-linger/?sh=61a825b0793b

• Like 3

On 4/13/2021 at 7:49 AM, pipedreams said:

Explosion Rocks St. Vincent as Volcano Keeps Erupting.

Completely different scene.

A cloud of volcanic ash hovers over Kingstown, on the eastern Caribbean island of St. Vincent, on April 10, 2021, a

day after the La Soufriere volcano erupted. (Lucanus Ollivierre/AP)

Caribbean-island-of-St-Vincent-1-1200x675.jpg

St.-Vincent-volcano-1200x800.jpg

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the late 1990's I took a tour of Mt. Etna in Sicily while it was erupting. The most poignant part of the tour was riding the cable car up the mountain, right beside the burned and twisted remains of the previous cable car destroyed by a recent lava flow.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Got to see an ash plume from Anchorage AK a few years ago. I forget which mountain it was. Pretty impressive, even from so far away.

Would like to see one closer up. But then again, I also wanna feel an earthquake.

I have to admit earthquakes are sort of cool to feel. 5.7 was my largest. Only about 12 seconds. Funny part was all the pans hanging in my kitchen sounded like the freaking Bells of Notre Dame. 

I want to see an eruption. I want to feel the heat. 

Edited by Batesmotel
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2021 at 8:19 PM, tadbart said:

Got to see an ash plume from Anchorage AK a few years ago. I forget which mountain it was. Pretty impressive, even from so far away.

Would like to see one closer up. But then again, I also wanna feel an earthquake.

Earthquakes are interesting but scary at the same time.  I was working in Southern CA,  and about 40 years ago or so I experienced one about 7.0 that did a lot of damage.  Most are less intense and you might not feel if you driving or walking around.  Driving one time,  I though something was wrong with the car and then noticed other cars hitting there break lights and realized what was happening, few seconds later it was over.   Most people kept a go bag in case of a biggy, women were encouraged to keep a change of shoes in case they have to climb or walk, heels don't cut it.

Edited by pipedreams

11 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Gates wants to spray chalk dust in the stratosphere to cool the earth. Enough volcanic ash and gasses tossed high could cool the earth and provide an encore of the year without a summer. Even without his dust

Way to, like, kill the dinosaurs, or something.