My new knife thread

Dric902

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Dric,

Do you forge, or grind and heat?  Or just grind?  

You do very nice work/

I am just doing stock removal right now. No forge 

I can edge quench with a couple of Mapp torches. Works great with San Mai flat stock.

I send the rest out for heat treating.

I'm not above buying a blade blank I like and reworking it, putting handles on it, wet molding a sheath. That’s what I did with the Camillus blades.

Im still a newbie

Edited by Dric902

30 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Im still a newbie

Me too.  But you're knives are better.  What kind of steel are you using?  Ive been doing the same with edge quenching.  

I have toyed with using veg. oil to quench as well. Heating it up for a prolonged time in a small oven and quenching.

Just now, Historian said:

Me too.  But you're knives are better.  What kind of steel are you using?  Ive been doing the same with edge quenching.  

I have toyed with using veg. oil to quench as well. Heating it up for a prolonged time in a small oven and quenching.

Ive been buying flat stock 1095 from a supply place near here. But Etsy has some good stuff, Damascus, San Mai, AEB-L

I use a coffee cup heater for heating up the Canola oil to edge quench, the temper in a toaster oven.

Lots of hand sanding

1 minute ago, Dric902 said:

Ive been buying flat stock 1095 from a supply place near here. But Etsy has some good stuff, Damascus, San Mai, AEB-L

I use a coffee cup heater for heating up the Canola oil to edge quench, the temper in a toaster oven.

Lots of hand sanding

Ayep! Sounds familiar.  Very similar methods only your knives show much more refinement.

I started with a book called The $50 Knife Shop.

I learned a ton from just doing it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Historian said:

Ayep! Sounds familiar.  Very similar methods only your knives show much more refinement.

I started with a book called The $50 Knife Shop.

I learned a ton from just doing it.

It makes you slow down

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

My Tac-ti-Cool EDC.

Old Timer 34OTB Genuine Bone Middleman 5.6in S.S. Traditional Folding Knife with 2.4in Clip Point and Bone Handle for Outdoor, Hunting, Camping and EDC

I carry others on occasion, depending in the task of the day, but this is always in my pocket.

I have a love for Case knives.  But sure have a few Old Timers.

Over the years I've found most people are not offended when you use a Case.   But if i whip out my Benchmade they get a little wigged out.

• Like 3

I bought this set just after we got married. A company in Brazil bought a bunch of tooling from Henckles in Germany and made these. Sold them as Marks Ironwood. We were dead broke. The least expensive meat we could was big whole roasting chickens. That boning knife butchered hundreds of chickens. We ate better and for less than most of our young married friends. 

0B9D388E-C4B6-4F71-8655-59A60231182F.jpeg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I bought this set just after we got married. A company in Brazil bought a bunch of tooling from Henckles in Germany and made these. Sold them as Marks Ironwood. We were dead broke. The least expensive meat we could was big whole roasting chickens. That boning knife butchered hundreds of chickens. We ate better and for less than most of our young married friends. 

0B9D388E-C4B6-4F71-8655-59A60231182F.jpeg

That is still the case.  With two hungry teens in the house, I buy a two-pack at Sam's almost every week.  It is usually around ten bucks for the two chickens.  With that, I get schmaltz, two chickens worth of meat, and stock.  The possibilities are almost endless.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Historian said:

I have a love for Case knives.  But sure have a few Old Timers.

Over the years I've found most people are not offended when you use a Case.   But if i whip out my Benchmade they get a little wigged out.

Case is still a US made knife. Still an American icon. I like them, but only own one. They are double to triple the price of the OT, and just don't carry the bang for the buck to me. I tend to lose them, or used to and still carry that stigma.

I love the brass and bone knives. Pocket carry keeps them polished out and looking nice.

I do have a red stag Case in the small stockman. I carried it for a few decades and love it. A few years ago I saw what it would take to replace the same knife and put it in the shelf. The OT punches above it's weight class and is decent quality. I had to replace the small for a medium recently thanks to my hands revolting. Arthritis sucks, still, I want the smallest pocket carry I can get. I don't want to feel like I carrying a roll of nickles.

Neither company has put their foot in their mouth the way Benchmade did.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

My babies. 

23F60DB8-70AB-4D97-B796-B81E084B3CEF.jpeg

I see you lean toward wood handles. I have a set that is about as old as my marriage as well. Fortunately we were older, and could do some things that wouldn't have been possible when young.

I lean to the black "bowling ball" handles. That is what the well used and ongoing set sports.

• Like 3