Firearms Pics & Sundry

Eric

Routledge bore… Remington used this in some .22 smoothbore rifles for use with .22 shot shells. An entry on the web says the barrel was .22 smoothbore for about half its length, with the muzzle opening about 0.4 inches. The web entry inferred a 0.4 counterbore for muzzle half of the barrel.

My question… was the 0.4 counterbore straight? Or did it taper?

I can’t imagine it being taper because of the cost and complexity of the machining operation. But I don’t know…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Routledge bore… Remington used this in some .22 smoothbore rifles for use with .22 shot shells. An entry on the web says the barrel was .22 smoothbore for about half its length, with the muzzle opening about 0.4 inches. The web entry inferred a 0.4 counterbore for muzzle half of the barrel.

My question… was the 0.4 counterbore straight? Or did it taper?

I can’t imagine it being taper because of the cost and complexity of the machining operation. But I don’t know…

Not many folks know about the Routledge bores. My uncle happens to have one of the few (like 77) Winchester Mod 61 Routledge bores. I’d love to have a Rem 572 Routledge bores I’d they ever made any? I know they made some smooth-bore 572s. 

2 hours ago, Valmet said:

Not many folks know about the Routledge bores. My uncle happens to have one of the few (like 77) Winchester Mod 61 Routledge bores. I’d love to have a Rem 572 Routledge bores I’d they ever made any? I know they made some smooth-bore 572s. 

Found this patent drawing, which appears to show a straight bore. Wondering now about reaming most of the front of the barrel on an inexpensive .22 revolver to accomplish this. Leave an inch or so of the rifling near the cylinder so it wouldn’t be a short barrel shotgun. Could use a piloted drill bit such as one would use to bore a .22 barrel to line it. 

C800658E-BC0C-4DC1-B040-4A3B6E93839F.jpeg

• Like 1

I ran across mention of the Routledge bore in an article about practicing wing shooting with such a smoothbore and large fall grasshoppers as the prey.

I’ve used .22 shot cartridges in a revolver attempting to take out carpenter bees. If I’ve aimed and led properly too often the bee is in the hole of the donut made as the rifling spins the shot.