Whatever happened to...

railfancwb

...this company with which I once did business?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_retailers_of_the_United_States 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_department_stores_of_the_United_States 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_restaurants_of_the_United_States 

The information for these lists is dynamic.

I appreciate the collective efforts, past and ongoing, to make these lists as complete and current as possible. 

• Like 1

For the most part, its Amazon.

They killed many chains, even more small businesses, and bought up well over 100 companies.

If you love our working middle class and economy, stop buying at Amazon and buy at individual online shops as well as locally instead.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, crockett said:

For the most part, its Amazon.

I've been dreaming of the day when everyone would have sensors on their legs, arms, and hands, tracking them to the inch,  and having our heart rate, blood pressure and breathing monitored.

This brave new world is going to be great!

• Haha 1

Well, Amazon plus Walmart and Lowe’s and HomeDepot and Walgreens and their other kin at the moment.

When small locals say “We don’t stock that but I can order it for you.” that is a disincentive for shopping local.

Many years ago I went to a nearby large multi-story Sears because I needed some C-clamps. They had none. Wrote the President of Sears about this, mentioning that someone coming to buy a C-clamp might fall in love with the riding mower in the next aisle. Received a response about inventory management and carrying costs. Figured when I read the response that Sears was on its way out. Sad, sad, sad. 

18 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I've been dreaming of the day when everyone would have sensors on their legs, arms, and hands, tracking them to the inch,  and having our heart rate, blood pressure and breathing monitored.

This brave new world is going to be great!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Well, Amazon plus Walmart and Lowe’s and HomeDepot and Walgreens and their other kin at the moment.

When small locals say “We don’t stock that but I can order it for you.” that is a disincentive for shopping local.

Many years ago I went to a nearby large multi-story Sears because I needed some C-clamps. They had none. Wrote the President of Sears about this, mentioning that someone coming to buy a C-clamp might fall in love with the riding mower in the next aisle. Received a response about inventory management and carrying costs. Figured when I read the response that Sears was on its way out. Sad, sad, sad. 

Amazon also killed SEARs and takes huge chunks out of Wal Mart's numbers. The world was in order before Amazon sucked them all dry, also by undermining US products with cheap **** made in China.

Stop making excuses for buying at Amazon, you are feeding the beast and help create a monopoly that will price gauge YOU down the road as well as every seller on Amazon. That's economics first semester.

Amazon's stock went from 30 bucks to well over $3,000 (for just one share!). You do the math. Amazon is the equivalent of a big, tyrannical government.

Amazon's market cap is now 1.59 TRILLION! Let me write this out:

$1,590,000,000,000.-

image.thumb.png.3aec11a196b567dec85a67cbe9e71844.png

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, crockett said:

Amazon also killed SEARs and takes huge chunks out of Wal Mart's numbers. The world was in order before Amazon sucked them all dry, also by undermining US products with cheap **** made in China.

Stop making excuses for buying at Amazon, you are feeding the beast and help create a monopoly that will price gauge YOU down the road as well as every seller on Amazon. That's economics first semester.

Amazon's stock went from 30 bucks to well over $3,000 (for just one share!). You do the math. Amazon is the equivalent of a big, tyrannical government.

$1,590,000,000,000.-

Why do you hate American success stories? 

19 hours ago, crockett said:

$1,590,000,000,000.-

Like you said a year or so ago..."I think your a brother, from another mother."

• Like 1

Bezos made his mark by initially selling below cost and making it up on volume.

Initially he was helped by operating from locations without sales tax, so his customers got a de facto 8% to 10% discount compared to buying locally. Once he had enough locations that the sales tax break was gone, he joined a bandwagon campaigning for federal rules on interstate sales tax. This kept potential competitors from leveraging tax-free strategies.

Shrewd business practices. 

14 hours ago, crockett said:

Because liberal trolls from GT go straight to the ignore list.

Ooooh, wow. sTrAiGhT tO ThE iGnOre LiSt. How... snowflakey of you. God forbid anyone discuss anything anymore. ?

And the laughably ironic (and hypocritical) part is you calling me a liberal when it's the liberals who are always doing what you're doing right now: railing against BIG CORPORATIONS making TOO MUCH MONEY, and "you didn't build that", and so forth.

Gunboard conservatives USED to be all about the American Success Story- living in a country where anyone has the freedom and opportunity to bootstrap themselves up from nothing into a successful career or business. That's literally capitalism and the free market at work; again, what gunboard conservatives always espouse, and liberals traditionally decry. Bezos has done this and then some- not to mention providing jobs to scores of people- and he's the bad guy?

But since you're apparently too fragile to discuss a viewpoint different than yours, maybe someone else can pick this up... 

• Like 1

Yeah, like I need help against a thin-skinned hypocrite who won’t even defend his position, and hides behind his safe space ignore list... ?

Owlsnest was just “tellin’ it like it is.” ?

1 minute ago, OwlsNest465 said:

Anyways, RE Amazon..

Call them the bad guy all you want but their "monopoly" is because they offer what the consumer wants.  Period.

Exactly!!  Friggin CHEAP!!!  The Globalist bandwagon.  Sign on to the Monopoly...like the News Monopoly.  I'll do...  read a couple  more of your posts before I throw you to the Ignore list.  Just don't like the sound of you...

22 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Exactly!!  Friggin CHEAP!!!  The Globalist bandwagon.  Sign on to the Monopoly...like the News Monopoly.  I'll do...  read a couple  more of your posts before I throw you to the Ignore list.  Just don't like the sound of you...

You can also buy "cheap ****" at local establishments. 

It isn't isolated to Amazon.  

I had nearly 300 orders with Amazon in 2020 and most of the stuff is of decent quality.  Plenty of high end name brand stuff available too.  

In any case, giving the consumer what they want is how any business stays afloat.  Amazon offers a VARIETY of products of various quality.  Not JUST cheap junk. 

Not too concerned if you don't like the sound of me or not.  If facts hurt you, then go ahead and put me on your special list right now. 

Edited by OwlsNest465
  • Like 1

• Eric locked this topic