It’s Idiot Season.

Batesmotel

My thoughts on cyclists are pretty simple.  The roads are for motor vehicles.  Wanna ride a bike on the motor vehicle roads?  Strap an engine on it and register it as street legal and join in the fun with the rest of the motor vehicles.  Don't wanna do that?  Then stay on the sidewalk with the rest of the peds. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Cyclist, 58, is killed after ignoring stop signs at Miami River drawbridge and falling between gap as his friend just cleared it

• Fred Medina, 58, died around 6 am Wednesday on his morning bike ride from Aventura to Key Biscayne with a friend 
  • The married father-of-two tried to make it past the South Miami Avenue Bridge that links downtown Miami and Brickell over the Miami River
  • Police said the avid cyclist tried to overtake the opening as its warning arms levered downward and the whistle blew 
  • His friend reportedly managed to cross the bridge ahead of Medina 
  • But Medina didn't make it in time and was left clinging on to the bridge as it rose into the air before plummeting to his death
  • The 58-year-old, who rode the same journey almost every morning, was found unresponsive on the platform of the bridge
  • He was an entertainment and technology executive in Latin American media
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9376235/Bicyclist-falls-death-trying-beat-Miami-drawbridge.html

Too late for Darwin Award, but he should get an Honorable Mention, for form.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Twenty years ago I would have stopped and broken the fingers of mr. bird, then wrapped his bike around his head.   As it was I gave them some loud exhaust noises to ponder and went about my business. 

The best revenge is a life well lived. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

They want to be treated like vehicles, but also have the privileges of being pedestrians.

This is the problem. And when THEY hit a car, they want the car to be found at fault. Most riders are great but not all. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 9:16 AM, crockett said:

I have never had any issues with cyclists. When I see them on the road, I slow down and pass when I can maintain some distance. After all they don't have a cage that protects them. The few times I see one of them on the road, they keep to the right, even when they could legally make use of the entire lane. And if they would, I'd consider them equal to any other slow vehicle like a farm tractor or a slow scooter... wait till there is room and pass.

Most cyclists I see are riding those outer bank islands. They have their own bike lane right next to the main road. I still slow down and keep distance when passing. If one would ever go down and drop into the road, I wouldn't want to run them over, no matter if they made a mistake or not.

Not sure what the generalized hate is all about. At least they try to stay fit and healthy.

I think we have made it clear what the hate is from.  They want to be treated like vehicles but not follow vehicle laws.  They plug up the lane being self centered twats when they could just ride in the f ing bike lane that was made for them.  I don't have a problem with bicyclists that aren't dickheads but some areas have a lot of them.  I don't have much of a problem with them here but in CA they could do all sorts of **** to plug up the road and ride on roads they had no business on.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 9:16 AM, crockett said:

I have never had any issues with cyclists. When I see them on the road, I slow down and pass when I can maintain some distance. After all they don't have a cage that protects them. The few times I see one of them on the road, they keep to the right, even when they could legally make use of the entire lane. And if they would, I'd consider them equal to any other slow vehicle like a farm tractor or a slow scooter... wait till there is room and pass.

Most cyclists I see are riding those outer bank islands. They have their own bike lane right next to the main road. I still slow down and keep distance when passing. If one would ever go down and drop into the road, I wouldn't want to run them over, no matter if they made a mistake or not.

Not sure what the generalized hate is all about. At least they try to stay fit and healthy.

I think we have made it clear what the hate is from.  They want to be treated like vehicles but not follow vehicle laws.  They plug up the lane being self centered twats when they could just ride in the f ing bike lane that was made for them.  I don't have a problem with bicyclists that aren't dickheads but some areas have a lot of them.  I don't have much of a problem with them here but in CA they could do all sorts of **** to plug up the road and ride on roads they had no business on.

13 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

So by law, are they allowed to use the street in those states if a dedicated bike lane is available? Using the sidewalk is not an option for bicyclist on fast bikes. They would run into pedestrians all the time.

I know of laws that allows them to use the entire width of a lane, and for good reason. If they would keep to the far right within the lane, too many drivers of cars and truck will pass within the same lane, and way too close. This creates a massive risk if the bicyclist has to use other parts of his lane, for example to avoid potholes, debris etc. A car passing in the same lane could easily kill the bicyclist, and that's why they are generally allowed to occupy the entire lane for themselves.

The same issue applies to bikers. If I would keep to the right within my lane, it will invite "cagers" to pass me while using parts of my lane. That's a huge risk for bicyclist and biker alike and why every driving school teaches 2 wheeled participants to use the entire lane by staying in the center or even to the left within the lane. On 2 wheels you really don't want to send the wrong signals that invites others to put you at risk.

While everybody wants to arrive faster in today's traffic, safety comes first, by law and for a good reason.

2 hours ago, crockett said:

So by law, are they allowed to use the street in those states if a dedicated bike lane is available? Using the sidewalk is not an option for bicyclist on fast bikes. They would run into pedestrians all the time.

I know of laws that allows them to use the entire width of a lane, and for good reason. If they would keep to the far right within the lane, too many drivers of cars and truck will pass within the same lane, and way too close. This creates a massive risk if the bicyclist has to use other parts of his lane, for example to avoid potholes, debris etc. A car passing in the same lane could easily kill the bicyclist, and that's why they are generally allowed to occupy the entire lane for themselves.

The same issue applies to bikers. If I would keep to the right within my lane, it will invite "cagers" to pass me while using parts of my lane. That's a huge risk for bicyclist and biker alike and why every driving school teaches 2 wheeled participants to use the entire lane by staying in the center or even to the left within the lane. On 2 wheels you really don't want to send the wrong signals that invites others to put you at risk.

While everybody wants to arrive faster in today's traffic, safety comes first, by law and for a good reason.

The states I have been it it is REQUIRED for a bicycle to ride on the right side of the vehicle lane.  And they are required to follow state Motor Vehicle laws.   By the same token, vehicles are supposed to treat them as Motor Vehicles.

Whether this is sane with today's traffic is up for debate but it is the law.

6 hours ago, crockett said:

I fully understand the reasons for them to be in a lane.  You need to understand that there are assholes on bikes as well.

They have NO business on a windy 55 MPH road with no shoulder and tree shadows on it that goes nowhere.  They are asking to get killed, the law or their rights are irrelevant.  It is a stupid thing to do.  If you want to ride in the area they can get a mountain bike and ride the many bike trails.

The law allows cyclists some rights like automobiles. No problem. 

But running red lights, blocking traffic. Using sidewalks and crosswalks when it suits them. Cutting across lanes. How about blasting past school buses with the red lights on. That’s a REAL problem in the Emigration Canyon neighborhood here.

Millionaire cyclists blasting down the canyon WAY above the posted speed limit pissed that kids are getting on or off of school buses and slowing their precious times. Every year it is an issue. I’m just waiting for someone to toss something into the spokes of a front tire before a kid gets killed. A few have already been hurt. 

Edited by Batesmotel

The idiot I saw run the red light was in my lane to my right. When we got to the red light he just moved to the crosswalk and shot through the intersection against the light. There was oncoming cross traffic. The car usually gets blamed when bikes like that get hit. 

Tle law looks at it like hitting a pedestrian. Even if the car has right away, you can’t hit pedestrians. 

Edited by Batesmotel

A huge group (national?) of activist bike-riders named "Critical Mass" would occasionally organize "group rides" in Raleigh.

They'd wait until rush-hour and gridlock the whole city, "because it's our right to be here".

I doubt they ever converted a single person by acting like ignorant twats,  and violence against them was pretty common.