New Hand Cannon Review

jfost11

Let me start by saying in these unprecedented times, the difficulty of finding ammo, and it's increasing cost, can be a major factor in new gun purchases. Something you've wanted for a long time may not be that practical now. In turn, something you used to think was completely ridiculous may have some redeeming qualities that really shine in our current climate.

I received a new gun at Christmas and I must admit, it got me a little excited at first but,  quickly fell into the ridiculous category. I have been waiting for a nice day outside to give it a thorough review before drawing my conclusion and that opportunity presented itself today when my kid's preschool shut down for the day after a staff member popped for covid over the weekend. (They've since notified us there was no exposure and will reopen tomorrow)

Now if you're still with me thus far, thank you. And please, don't get too upset with my findings. My opinion is worth what you're paying for it, after all.Ok, without further ado...

BEHOLD THE SPOT LAUNCH & FETCH! (Look at the pictures)

Now I know what you're thinking. Definitely not a concealed carry piece. And unless you're a sasquatch or Shaquille O'Neal, I doubt you have furniture large enough for it to be a nightstand gun. So we are talking about primarily a range toy. Which is really what it was designed (I guess you could call the planning of this a design) to be. 

As far as user friendly features, it is simple to use. That pretty much ends the list. It's large, it requires two hands to work the action, unless you're swinging it around wildly, which I would imagine is frowned upon by range safety folks. There's a sling included but it pretty much only gets in the way and as I've found, can even induce malfunctions if not removed or kept out of the way. The single action trigger is certainly not the best I've felt. And it only gets heavier with increased power loads. There is a small amount of creep. But overall, I've felt worse. The grip is not at all tactical. It could definitely use some Talon grips, grip tape, or an old fashioned stippling job.

Then there's the color. I dont know if there are any other choices. However the bright red does go well with my son's ride on fire truck so, he's a fan. I have to say if you did set it down outside, it's much easier to spot than a Glock or one of those camo print rifles.

Now let me get to the real advantage of this bad boy which you may have already guessed. Ammo availability and selection. The manufacturer includes three rounds with it but, it will also fire regulation size ITF, MTC or MIPTC, and PTPA ammo made by a plethora of manufacturers like Penn, Wilson, etc. However it should be noted, the manufacturer supplied rounds and the commercial market rounds are slightly different sizes and only the manufacturers rounds will fit into the ammo holders on the gun. 

The increased size commercial rounds load in the muzzle with just slightly more force needed. I think this is actually an advantage as I did have a manufacturer supplied round fall out of the barrel while swinging the gun wildly to, ... excuse me, while repositioning the weapon to cock(huh huh) the action.

This beast is also reliable. It fired all rounds with no malfunctions. Clean, dirty, wet, or dry made no difference. And in the case of nasty rounds you may not want to touch, you don't even have to. Just force the muzzle down over them while they're on the ground!

It appears that a tool is required for any sort of breakdown, with the tool being a Phillips screwdriver. (Although, I would recommend a getting one from a different Phillip than I took a screwdriver from. He liked pulp in the OJ and was really whiney) I'm guessing you can probably give a liberal spray of your favorite solvent, all in one, (or H2O) right down the muzzle, or all over, and it will take care of most of the yucky stuff just fine. 

So overall it's big, ugly, low capacity, slow to load and fire, and probably not the best quality workmanship or materials. But it is fun to shoot. Anyway, have a good day y'all. 

20210315_150002.jpg

20210315_150147.jpg

Edited by jfost11
  • Like 1

It does have the nanny state warning plastered on the side. 

The adjustable power settings may not be the easiest for some to read but anything less than full power is pretty much useless anyway.

20210315_150203.jpg

20210315_150241.jpg

Edited by jfost11
  • Like 1

Just now, crockett said:

And here I was excited for some real gun content for a change.

giphy.gif

Sorry, I'm home with two kids instead of being at work. I got bored and figured, hey, this will make my time on the toilet entertaining!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, crockett said:

That sounds much like a liberal state with massive lockdowns...

Not on lockdown. The prescool closed for cleaning while I'm assuming contact tracing was done, and the babysitter said not to bring the boy there until more was known about whether he was exposed to the employee testing positive. It was just easier for me to take off than the wife. 

Heck, I'm just waiting for the wife to get home so I can go out and discuss the daily dose of stupid with people from work over a drink.

Edited by jfost11
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jmohme said:

My Chesapeake Bay Retriever wore out four of those. 

Better that than wearing out my arm I suppose.

Last year I think I had a tear in something in my elbow. I had to train myself to throw left handed to keep him exercised. I could have used this then. I ended up getting the soccer ball sized chuck-it ball that i can kick and that has become his favorite toy. 

2 hours ago, jfost11 said:

Last year I think I had a tear in something in my elbow. I had to train myself to throw left handed to keep him exercised. I could have used this then. I ended up getting the soccer ball sized chuck-it ball that i can kick and that has become his favorite toy. 

I had a similar thing a few years ago after an MRI with contrast. Right shoulder was fubar'd and about the time I got used to tossing the ball left handed, my left elbow started giving me fits. Happily both problems eventually cleared up. The contrast dye can wreck hell on tendons.

7 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I had a similar thing a few years ago after an MRI with contrast. Right shoulder was fubar'd and about the time I got used to tossing the ball left handed, my left elbow started giving me fits. Happily both problems eventually cleared up. The contrast dye can wreck hell on tendons.

I've recently read about someone having problems after getting that dye. I think it was Chuck Norris' wife. Glad you're feeling better now.

I figured I had a case of tennis elbow and had heard you need to rest it for it to heal. Unfortunately, now my right shoulder is starting to hurt on and off. I've had my clavicle broken on that side and it's healed back overlapping a bit. I've had some pops in my shoulder since then whenever I move it certain ways.

Right now it's at the point where it will hurt for a few days and I'll be mindful to take it easy and it stops. I'm afraid it will eventually lead to needing some form of medical intervention later. They sure leave out a lot of details about getting old in the brochures for this ride.

• Like 1