World Hunger

Eric

The some people do not get the concept that poke a hole in the Earth, drop in a seed, little water,  and there's food.  

If that doesn't work. Murdrr those that know how to plant.  

I give to St Jude, A-21 Campaign, Free Wheel Chair Missoni, and others.  I'm not big on feeding people.  God gave seeds and dirt for free.  Add elbow greases.  

• Like 2

Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) chased out or killed the white farmers and ranchers, and divided their land among “the people”. What was once the breadbasket for much of Africa became a beggar for food. South Africa seems to be following that path.

Some who appear from outside to be making a difference are those (mostly Christian groups) who are driving/drilling wells so that isolated villages will have reliable sources of fresh water. 

• Like 2

First it was Live Aid.  A worthy cause, ending famine and feeding the world.  So, as instructed (by the liberals), the people (other than liberals) that are always taxed with figuring out the problems of the world got to work.  Increased crop yields through science, genetic modifications to seeds to improve their growth and resistance to disease (which happens naturally and constantly anyway) were all tremendous advances and proven safe and effective.

Now, we can apparently ignore all those starving people, because the future is organic farming (low crop yields), non-GMO (because it is so deadly), and boutique farmers (this is mostly a lie that places like Whole Foods actually use them) but it does do one good thing - it raises the price you can charge.

Food must now be virtuous and expensive rather than plentiful, because people who are not starving need to feel better.  Pretty amazing right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Peng said:

Food must now be virtuous and expensive rather than plentiful, because people who are not starving need to feel better.  Pretty amazing right?

I recently saw a tv commercial for "luxury" sheets.  It was 100% about love, and caring, and sustainability, and generosity,  and feeling good, and cuddly children getting sheets thrown over them,  and smiling,  and slow motion.

I don't think they even mentioned the sheets.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I recently saw a tv commercial for "luxury" sheets.  It was 100% about love, and caring, and sustainability, and generosity,  and feeling good, and cuddly children getting sheets thrown over them,  and smiling,  and slow motion.

Quite a long time ago I was told by an accomplished salesman:

Sell the sizzle not the steak. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

You can buy sheets anywhere. People want to buy "feel good about yourself". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

You can buy sheets anywhere. People want to buy "feel good about yourself". 

and it takes silly, irrelevant,  psychologically manipulative commercials for them to feel good about themselves, because they've either got no work ethic or were never taught to feel pride in their work rather than what other people say about them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Peng said:

First it was Live Aid.  A worthy cause, ending famine and feeding the world.  So, as instructed (by the liberals), the people (other than liberals) that are always taxed with figuring out the problems of the world got to work.  Increased crop yields through science, genetic modifications to seeds to improve their growth and resistance to disease (which happens naturally and constantly anyway) were all tremendous advances and proven safe and effective.

Now, we can apparently ignore all those starving people, because the future is organic farming (low crop yields), non-GMO (because it is so deadly), and boutique farmers (this is mostly a lie that places like Whole Foods actually use them) but it does do one good thing - it raises the price you can charge.

Yup. And the ***hole that runs the WHO was likely responsible for that famine himself as the commie scumbag in charge of the interior of Ethiopia back then. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I subscribe to several emailed comic strips. Not surprisingly they come with ads. One ad this morning was for sustainable underwear. Huh?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

Maybe they meant substantial underwear. Or unstainable underwear. 

In the military, you put on your shorts,  get two days.  Turnthem around, front to back,  get two more days.  Turn them inside out , get two days,  turn 'em around again, two more days.  That's 8 days ladies!  

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

It will be horrible how much more crop land another degree or so increase in temperature - global warming - can open up. And crop land feeds people. 

Despite the Sahara in yet another process of receding, the slight uptick in CO2 production globally is making Earth GREENER. Humans should respect the power of the oceans, and yeah, she can be a bitch. I refuse to apologize for the dipshiit actions of others, whenever they lived.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

It will be horrible how much more crop land another degree or so increase in temperature - global warming - can open up. And crop land feeds people. 

The other side of climate change is global cooling. Was preached for awhile that another ice age was fast approaching. Then came the global warming sermons. Neither actually seemed as immediate and intense as Gore et al wanted to generate urgency so the crisis was renamed climate change.

During the global cooling concern era this novel, written somewhat tongue in cheek, was released... Fallen Angels...

57EC4048-CBF1-4E07-9F36-8526D823C427.jpeg