Goin' to Knoxville tomorrow

gwalchmai

I'm cleaning out a deceased relative's house. Look folks, if you're thinking about dieing, or even if you're not, this is a great time to start divesting yourself of all the useless crap you've accumulated over the years. Even if you're an accountant, cancelled checks from the 80s aren't going to do your survivors any good. And that collection of 8-track tapes, nobody's gonna need those. 

And I don't even want to talk about my M-I-L's Beanie Baby hoard...

• Like 2

If you’re cleaning out an estate, don’t feel bad or guilty about donating or just throwing things out. And sure as hell don’t let anyone do it to you for doing your duty to the estate. 

And yes, us old farts need to clean out our stuff. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I'm cleaning out a deceased relative's house. Look folks, if you're thinking about dieing, or even if you're not, this is a great time to start divesting yourself of all the useless crap you've accumulated over the years. Even if you're an accountant, cancelled checks from the 80s aren't going to do your survivors any good. And that collection of 8-track tapes, nobody's gonna need those. 

Some of those 8-tracks might have some value. Somewhere, some old fart is trying to find a replacement for the Marty Robbins tape he just wore out. 

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I hear ya sir.  I cried thru "taking care" of both my parents houses.  It's a heart breaker.  Told my wife at the time..."I ain't puttin my daughter thru this crap".  And, we're not.  We're down to most of the stored crap in my house...is HERS!!!:anim_lol:  Ain't havin her cryin like I did. 

Clean your siht up, for your kids.

• Like 2

A lot of my stored crap is my kids crap. They are all out on their own but not in a situation where they can take all their stuff yet. They have tossed the junk but they all have some nice things stored here. 

With them gone it really motivates me to clean out the house. I want my studio back without moving their stuff when I want to use it. 

Best thing that happened when my mom died was that someone broke in and stole everything. I even deducted the value from the estate taxes. 

• Like 2

Oddly enough, in the morning I’m headed to my brother and sister-in-law’s house to help with their big garage sale. They’re moving from a 4300 sf house to an 1800 sf condo. 

They got your memo. 

• Like 3

For me this is a relative-in-law, so there's very little emotional attachment. Mrs. G's gone to visit our daughter in Flarda for a few days, so my job is to clear out all the obvious trash and donations, etc. Easy work, just a lot of it. Six months from now someone will tell me "You know, Bob used to keep a hunnert dollar bill in each of those 8-tracks cause he didn't trust banks." :greensupergrin:

• Haha 2

I told my wife:  Every pocket, every book, every pouch, book, can, belt (!), every plastic/metal/glass container, shoe/boot....

I've probably got $1K mixed in with my daily-carry toolbags and work gear.

If I know I'm fading fast,  I'll shuffle a bunch of stuff off on my SIL.  Otherwise, after that unexplained explosion,  things like $1500 Randall's will end up in the boxes full of $3 chinese zombie-stabbers.  Goodwill Score!

Edited by Huaco Kid
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

$1500 Randall's will end up in the boxes full of $3 chinese zombie-stabbers.

I have a bunch of nice cookware from estate sales because someone couldn’t tell top end stainless steel that just needed a good cleaning from bottom end non-stick aluminum crap. 

My father passed in 2006. He gave me that when I was a kid. I've had it in my safe for a long time. I didn't take much notice to it until I read to original post. I think I'm going to have it brought back to perfect. Beretta 1970.

1GKUzYo7fzrDZpi6w8m6735UV03mAlPgwcrRJTiqlj0SvjzcjV6YX4UczzUqGD0l2LXXqaRBkZu_0C7urO-XrYajrWrWPs5cyKl57bnJaF62Jy3D7PLFeLywFszzUecXimlfzMQF-ARt3kQMFV2ZwuBNQiwDTNIwIFWZBJX7C3yaJfmDNK6gvQlOBjcfqhG7t73WKOMzfjlASui0tz9Sr3eoDRrTfV1gGJeNkPJsTloWVq7Anmd68BkLG5Li0xSKZzgz1IvlZwTVoPqDt3Xxu-WEC8o1UvI4k9iN3e0SPgwU9gHpz3vct5jfYW7ghIm-R_oETieJ33c1vK429RPraj0myX8OSdHvTY3IuxeCD1qVZ9NI58ULVnoqkxYTj8cGbdVor8k-fNU9LcSm-muEOMn_42e0uS_4C8dRegFAqTM0ZZ_YDk_R19MezVzXJ78bzmdS0i4W5EUfiWZsS5YAOlQ6SLOHkQ1b6-gyGAz6IqNIOMkMfx_N4pOD4ZNOQ4rzwd616Sn8FSxk9K64z1SGXJvF0GcERpQ_657IH0O-IJCuhj-U41Qkv3t8AL13zbsvsXF1HKXDVW1985Zc4bdQbWJRdIazkVgTRoB44zsfu5twnrjk1D0z6cvagPk5cjEs6T97GhNWf-Vqj31w_eyXtTIk5vQ34tL_ua2yOP_A5ooL_1qSaVOTd80a8A6i3pU=w1345-h1009-no?authuser=0

So, yesterday Mrs. G is sorting through a drawer in her uncle's bedroom and finds a little oblong box containing 100 $100 Series EE savings bonds. Looks like they matured in the mid-2000s. 

I guess that trumps my leather book holder-opener / mini-sap... ;) 

• Like 1