Successful SN10 Launch & Landing

Eric

Reminds me of the time I first watched "oo7 - You Only Live Twice" a long time ago as a kid.

When they landed the rocket I just thought "Yeah right! What a fake ass show. That ain't gonna happen!"

At the end you can even see the wire they used to let the rocket down.

50 years later and here we are...

Edited by crockett

• Administrators

I wasn’t aware of this until just now, but SN10 exploded on the pad, several minutes after landing successfully. There was a fire under the skin as it landed, which must not have been fully extinguished. Still, it landed successfully. That is a hell of a step forward.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Eric said:

I wasn’t aware of this until just now, but SN10 exploded on the pad, several minutes after landing successfully. There was a fire under the skin as it landed, which must not have been fully extinguished. Still, it landed successfully. That is a hell of a step forward.

It was burning after touchdown and they turned on some big water cannons on the pad. Didn't really look like they could reach the fire inside the rocket. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Fog said:

It was burning after touchdown and they turned on some big water cannons on the pad. Didn't really look like they could reach the fire inside the rocket. 

There was a fire under the skin of the craft before touchdown. It looked like a fairly violent one. I'm surprised that it took so long to explode, although I am very glad they were able to land it successfully first.

• Like 2

Man. This is SO amazing. This is science in action, watching those dudes get better and learn from their prior lessons. I've been fascinated with this kinda stuff for as long as I can remember, which is EARLY Space Shuttle time period.

• Like 1

Some big space event was to be celebrated at the offices of JPL. Bigwigs and the press had been invited into the inner sanctum. The general public was allowed to sit in the auditorium. Robert A Heinlein was in the auditorium, not having been invited into the inner sanctum. Imagine how embarrassed and annoyed the organizers were when the press went to interview Heinlein rather than bigwigs. 

• Like 1