When lies matter more than facts

pipedreams

There was only one problem: It was a lie.

"This week, the New York Times ran a long piece re-reporting a supposed race scandal from Smith College. The scandal, originally reported in midsummer 2018, featured a black student, Oumou Kanoute, who claimed that she was racially profiled while eating in a dormitory lounge. She suggested in a Facebook post that she was confronted by a campus police officer, who might have been carrying a "lethal weapon," and a janitor, adding: "All I did was be Black. It's outrageous that some people question my being at Smith College, and my existence overall as a woman of color."

The janitor was placed on paid leave. The college president issued a campuswide statement explaining, "This painful incident reminds us of the ongoing legacy of racism and bias in which people of color are targeted while simply going about the business of their ordinary lives.""

https://www.wnd.com/2021/03/lies-matter-facts/

"A full investigation by an outside law firm found no evidence of bias. Kanoute was eating in a closed dormitory, and the janitor was doing his job. The campus police officer had no weapon."

• Sad 1