News Anchor Takes a Stand

Zonny

My favorite anchor. She’s been on a personal leave for several weeks. Obviously she has something else in the works but I’m proud of her for taking a stand and expressing her concerns. I’d like to think  it will make a difference. They’ve lost a good one. 
https://rumble.com/vea79d-top-rated-arizona-news-anchor-resigns-i-longer-want-to-do-this-job.html?fbclid=IwAR0cjZCPDQW7n3JJjWKlyOQvoSJjMVXf2_6lPowq8S99QkBf0u6UtYA750k

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zonny said:

My favorite anchor. She’s been on a personal leave for several weeks. Obviously she has something else in the works but I’m proud of her for taking a stand and expressing her concerns. I’d like to think  it will make a difference. They’ve lost a good one. 
https://rumble.com/vea79d-top-rated-arizona-news-anchor-resigns-i-longer-want-to-do-this-job.html?fbclid=IwAR0cjZCPDQW7n3JJjWKlyOQvoSJjMVXf2_6lPowq8S99QkBf0u6UtYA750k

I couldn't get the video to play. tom.

To give you some kind of idea how popular she is, a few years ago, she let an F-bomb slip on air. The viewers were up in arms at the possibility they would let her go. She went nowhere. I’ll see if I can find an article. 

https://popculture.com/trending/amp/news/fox-news-anchor-caught-video-f-bomb-bashing-rival-news-outlet/

Edited by Zonny
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

She's very right.  She's also very honest.

I was a journalist.   I still write a few fluffy feature articles from time-to-time.  

It's a wonderful industry. 

There's something special about a news room and gathering facts and presenting the news.  I enjoyed walking by a two story press and waving two fingers at the pressman who in return gave me two newspapers we just made...wet with ink. And to me radio news is amazing.  It happens so quick.  Three minutes at the top of the hour...amazing.  In that three minutes i often get more than 30 minutes in an evening news cast (not that people still watch those).

But journalism is also an industry on death's door.  No one reads a real newspaper anymore.  And even fewer real newspapers are published.  

The 1920s and 30s were interesting times.  When you look at the reporting of the New York Times (the greatest newspaper ever, according to some, not me) they totally avoided and lies about the genocide of the Ukrainians in Stalin's purges.   They received a Pulitzer for the lies their reporter wrote...and never really apologized or returned the award (sullied like the Nobel Peace Prize to me).

Even as time's changed and the Nazis came to power...they refused to some extent...to investigate the early days of the mistreatment of minority groups within German.   Even when it was published it was always, "rumors."   Eventually, what was beyond belief to the press would be reality. 

Historically, journalism has always had an issue with objectivity.  It wasn't until the 1940s that we started to see a real effort to report with objectivity.  That changes again.  I don't think the news cares to be objective anymore.  I think they've taken and active side in determine the course of history rather than reporting it.

But even then the industry always tilted one way or another.  Believe it or not they complained about the conservative media in the 1950s. 

She's smart.  She can do whatever she wants.  I hope she finds happiness and great success. 

Historian-member: Society of Professional Journalists, FOP, NRA...  :)

Edited by Historian
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Historian said:

She's very right.  She's also very honest.

I was a journalist.   I still write a few fluffy feature articles from time-to-time.  

It's a wonderful industry. 

There's something special about a news room and gathering facts and presenting the news.  I enjoyed walking by a two story press and waving two fingers at the pressman who in return gave me two newspapers we just made...wet with ink. And to me radio news is amazing.  It happens so quick.  Three minutes at the top of the hour...amazing.  In that three minutes i often get more than 30 minutes in an evening news cast (not that people still watch those).

But journalism is also an industry on death's door.  No one reads a real newspaper anymore.  And even fewer real newspapers are published.  

The 1920s and 30s were interesting times.  When you look at the reporting of the New York Times (the greatest newspaper ever, according to some, not me) they totally avoided and lies about the genocide of the Ukrainians in Stalin's purges.   They received a Pulitzer for the lies their reporter wrote...and never really apologized or returned the award (sullied like the Nobel Peace Prize to me).

Even as time's changed and the Nazis came to power...they refused to some extent...to investigate the early days of the mistreatment of minority groups within German.   Even when it was published it was always, "rumors."   Eventually, what was beyond belief to the press would be reality. 

Historically, journalism has always had an issue with objectivity.  It wasn't until the 1940s that we started to see a real effort to report with objectivity.  That changes again.  I don't think the news cares to be objective anymore.  I think they've taken and active side in determine the course of history rather than reporting it.

But even then the industry always tilted one way or another.  Believe it or not they complained about the conservative media in the 1950s. 

She's smart.  She can do whatever she wants.  I hope she finds happiness and great success. 

Historian-member Society of Professional Journalists, FOP, NRA...  :)

Excellent read

at some point in our recent past, the overwhelming availability of second by second commentary on each and every story with a focus on social presence, clicks, trending, image......it’s a reality show rather than a presentation of information. That’s why newspapers were great, you didn’t see anybody and reading it could raise red flags.

Americans don’t want news, they want confirmation of their views. 
I don’t know where it’s going to go

• Like 3

Just now, Dric902 said:

Excellent read

at some point in our recent past, the overwhelming availability of second by second commentary on each and every story with a focus on social presence, clicks, trending, image......it’s a reality show rather than a presentation of information. That’s why newspapers were great, you didn’t see anybody and reading it could raise red flags.

Americans don’t want news, they want confirmation of their views. 
I don’t know where it’s going to go

Newspapers were grand.   Did you know the New York Times is designed for you to fold it, and read it, on a subway and not get in the way of the person sitting next to you?  

And if you wanted a conservative newspaper there was usually an alternative to your local fish wrapper.    Sadly, in another 30 years, i think you'll seem them all disappear.   Not only because of electronic media.  But also because people get their information from places that don't challenge you to think.

News at this point is indistinguishable from propaganda. 

And it's dangerous as all hell.

The reason why works is the power of LIKE.   I LIKE THIS because it reaffirms my personal beliefs or desires to believe.    How can i be wrong?! If i like it.

Well i like to eat sardines but based on the smell people around the office wish i didn't like them so much.

• Like 2

I remember reading that Hearst fanned the flames which gave us the Spanish-American war so he could sell more newspapers and ads. Lincoln shut down papers which disagreed with him.

What does the country have now? Two or three major national newspaper publishers such as Gannett plus some local papers which cover local sports and social life and touch on local government? How many towns and cities of any size have serious competing daily papers? Generally competing papers in a city shared printing facilities, so one could be chased out. Recently Warren Bucket’s investment company sold its collection of smaller local papers  

Often local broadcast media has common ownership with local print media. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, railfancwb said:

I remember reading that Hearst fanned the flames which gave us the Spanish-American war so he could sell more newspapers and ads. Lincoln shut down papers which disagreed with him.

It is so very interesting you should point this out.  It's true.  I almost brought up this topic.

Hearst and Pulitzer had massive conflicts as newspaper men.  These were the robber barons of the news industry. They owned massive newspaper chains and everyone was influenced by what they read.

Indeed, the Spanish American war was flamed by both newspapers.  They wanted to sell print at any cost.  And in reality that war was started by the press and fought by men like Teddy Roosevelt.  

It was so competitive that Hearst actually paid Fredrick Remington (the artist) to go to Cuber (thank's Rush) and provide daily drawings of the events. They were rushed to Miami and distributed as fast as they could to the rest of the chain.  

Yes, this guy.  The amazing artist who produced all the western art you ever saw.

Frederic Remington

This was the height of what was referred to as yellow journalism.  We actually lost more men to poorly preserved meat products made by the Hormell Corperation....thus i refer to this war as The SPAM WAR (Spanish American War).

Yellow Journalism: When the Forerunner to Fake News Led to ...

The money in the industry is not in the paper you read.  It's in owning a press.  The local two story press i told you about runs almost 24x7 and prints magazines and news for everyone from the locals to eastern Europe.

The money is producing.  

• Thanks 1

What does the country have now? Two or three major national newspaper publishers such as Gannett plus some local papers which cover local sports and social life and touch on local government? How many towns and cities of any size have serious competing daily papers? Generally competing papers in a city shared printing facilities, so one could be chased out. Recently Warren Bucket’s investment company sold its collection of smaller local papers  

Often local broadcast media has common ownership with local print media. 

And you are not far off actually.  The number of family owned and independent newspapers are very small compared to where they were 100 years ago.

I think the last truly large one may be the St. Pete Times in Florida.  But they bolstered some of that by starting The Pointer Institute for journalism.  And to be fair they have a massive rivalry with the Tampa Tribune.   They hire from each other and actually produce quality news.

The big guys...Tribune Services, New York Times, Gannett, etc....have all sold off their smaller newspapers (for the most part) in an effort to stave off the decline of the industry.

They were once massive companies.   They still are.  Just not as gigantic as they once were.   

At one time i worked for all three.   

I still get a chuckle out of saying i was a New York Times contractor on my resume.   But the checks came from the NYT corporation.  I just happened to work at a regional 140,00 circulation local paper at the time.

• Like 1

Watch the movie Citizen Kane...pretty much sums up both men well...

FeckenOdeon Films: Citizen Kane

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zonny said:

To give you some kind of idea how popular she is, a few years ago, she let an F-bomb slip on air. The viewers were up in arms at the possibility they would let her go. She went nowhere. I’ll see if I can find an article. 

https://popculture.com/trending/amp/news/fox-news-anchor-caught-video-f-bomb-bashing-rival-news-outlet/

Zonny i am sorry i hijacked your thread. 

But that the FBomb in term and also your link cracks me up.

F-Bomb no pinup - F Bombs - T-Shirt | TeePublic

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

I completely agree with her. Unfortunately I think we can all agree she's just one fish in an ocean of media mouths, and not even a whale. Not only will it make little difference, they will probably jump for joy at the opportunity to fill her spot with someone who will say exactly what they want and do so for a lower salary.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:28 AM, LostinTexas said:

I read an article on this last night.

The minor problem with your glee, is that you think the station, networks, industry cares.

I know that they don't care, but what does make me smile is that she is refusing to play their games and hopefully, she is one of many to come.

People are waking up to the media bull ****. Just not enough of them...........yet.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2021 at 9:28 AM, LostinTexas said:

The minor problem with your glee, is that you think the station, networks, industry cares.

That's odd, since the OP wrote absolutely nothing in regards to any of that.

It's amazing, you must be a long-distance mid-reader or something.

Edited by M&P15T
  • Like 1