Average Lifespan of Tank Styyle Water Heater?

DrB

6 hours ago, Hauptmann6 said:

Richmond is a consumer grade store brand. I've been liking the Rheems that you can get from Home Depot. The only difference I've been able to find between the consumer and pro models is that the drain valve is plastic instead of brass on the consumer model.

I swapped out the plastic valve with a brass one when I installed the heater.  Figured the plastic one would stick shut at some point in time.  I'll take a look into Rheems as well.  Thanks.  Dave..

On 2/21/2021 at 10:08 AM, LostinTexas said:

Contradict yourself much? A gas burner that only last a 10 year average, that is 7-12 for you, has very large problems and needs to have someone that knows what they are doing take a look. These should be near a lifetime heater. If water is hard and no maintenance is done ~20 years should still be in the cards before the corrosion creates leaks in the tank.

LOTS of air is fine for a water heater burner, lack of air is the problem. Lack of air causes incomplete combustion. Best analogy is an oil lamp. When adjusted right, it burns clean and bright. Turn the wick up and it smokes.

BTW I work in the industry. Water heaters last 7-12 years. They either crack and leak or the gas valve dies. Sorry, but 20 years is the exception anymore not the rule. Even with yearly draining.

Edited by Hauptmann6

11 minutes ago, Hauptmann6 said:

LOTS of air is fine for a water heater burner, lack of air is the problem.

BTW I work in the industry. Water heaters last 7-12 years. They either crack and leak or the gas valve dies. Sorry, but 20 years is the exception anymore not the rule. Even with yearly draining.

Sounds like quality has gone in the pooper in the last 12 years then. I think it could be something else though.

Orange flame bad, That means an air leak in the line or too much O2, , blue flame good, blue flame silver/white/orange tint on the tips is good. Any more get it fixed.

Edited by LostinTexas

Just now, LostinTexas said:

Sounds like quality has gone in the pooper in the last 12 years then. I think it could be something else though.

Orange flame bad, blue flame good, blue flame silver/white/orange tint on the tips is good. Any more get it fixed.

Since the early to mid 200s. We are changing out water heaters constantly from that era.

Make them thinner and cheaper.